Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:50:34 pm

Author Topic: Difference between population and sample standard deviation  (Read 1725 times)  Share 

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Difference between population and sample standard deviation
« on: August 03, 2020, 03:19:12 pm »
I'm struggling to understand the difference between population and sample standard deviation. I understand the concept - sample is for a sample and population is for the entire population, but I'm struggling to apply it to the questions. I've attached some questions below that I can't distinguish between the two standard deviations. I'm assuming a-d  is sample, but e  is population?

Thanks for your time!

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Difference between population and sample standard deviation
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »
+1
Tbh, I'd argue that they're all samples. The question you need to ask yourself is - can you think of anyone from that demographic that isn't listed?

For example, there are more than 10 performers in the world. But maybe you're interested in the age of workers in Africa, and have millions of numbers - that's probably closer to a population.

However, I also think it's highly unlikely you'll get asked questions like this, so I wouldn't stress too much about it (unless someone who knows more about HSC wants to prove me wrong)

jaccs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Difference between population and sample standard deviation
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 07:42:56 pm »
re the play, it seems to be poorly constructed, and if it is a population, then what it is probably meaning to say is something like

the age of performers in a specific individual play.

If everyone who is performing in that play has responded, then it is a population.