Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:53:17 am

Author Topic: Total area with integration and negative signs  (Read 1799 times)  Share 

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Total area with integration and negative signs
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:25:56 pm »
Hey, I'm confused about finding the area under a curve. If we are asked to find the area under a curve and the curve goes under the x-axis and above the x-axis, we would get a negative area and a positive area. I've attached a picture below to show what I mean.

Our textbook says after taking the definite integral, to take the absolute value of both bounds - essentially ignore the negative signs, if there are any. So we are trying to find the total magnitude I suppose. But is this correct? I'm just wondering because I haven't seen it anywhere else and the textbook has been wrong before.

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +44
Re: Total area with integration and negative signs
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 06:48:06 pm »
+2
Yes, this is correct. The definite integral gives the signed area under a curve. To find areas below the x-axis, take the absolute value of the definite integral. If the word "area" is mentioned/implied in the question, use absolute values. If not, i.e. "definite integral" is used, then don't.
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

djaco75

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 09:56:34 pm »
Hey, I'm confused about finding the area under a curve. If we are asked to find the area under a curve and the curve goes under the x-axis and above the x-axis, we would get a negative area and a positive area. I've attached a picture below to show what I mean.

Our textbook says after taking the definite integral, to take the absolute value of both bounds - essentially ignore the negative signs, if there are any. So we are trying to find the total magnitude I suppose. But is this correct? I'm just wondering because I haven't seen it anywhere else and the textbook has been wrong before.

my teacher always says:
-if the question asks to 'evaluate the definite integral' or just has the word evaluate, just shove the numbers in
-if it asks to 'find the area under the curve' you need to take into account signed areas
2021 HSC - Mathematics Extension 1/2 - English Extension 1 - Business Studies

2020 HSC - Mathematics Advanced (97) - SOR 1 (1st in the State)

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:51:15 pm »
my teacher always says:
-if the question asks to 'evaluate the definite integral' or just has the word evaluate, just shove the numbers in
-if it asks to 'find the area under the curve' you need to take into account signed areas
Your teacher is right.
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal