Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:42 am

Author Topic: Best university for IT :)  (Read 4408 times)  Share 

vince12651

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Best university for IT :)
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:30:22 am »
I want to do Software engineering but I'm not sure which uni to do it at. I like doing IT but I want to know what everyone thinks about the different unis. I am thinking of Monash but I would like to hear what others have to say :)

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
Re: Best university for IT :)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 06:14:34 pm »
I want to do Software engineering but I'm not sure which uni to do it at. I like doing IT but I want to know what everyone thinks about the different unis. I am thinking of Monash but I would like to hear what others have to say :)

tbh MIT seems decent :)

Jks, ask @Aaron on AN, he studies computer science :)
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Best university for IT :)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 06:30:54 pm »
+1
tbh MIT seems decent :)

Wouldn't that be an experience to remember! I hear good things about RMIT's IT/Computer Science courses, so maybe it's worth taking a look? The most important thing to remember here is that all IT/CS related courses have to teach you relatively similar content in order to be accredited by the Australian Computer Society (ACS), so in terms of content I don't think there's going to be an overwhelming difference.

There might be variations such as what programming language/software is used (e.g. Oracle vs MySQL for databases, Java vs C++ for programming) and programs on offer (e.g. if you want to be a network engineer, I would probably say no to a uni like La Trobe because the emphasis isn't on it there - there's only like 4 subjects on offer for that specific area). I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of an 'IT' degree (e.g. do you want to be a network engineer, software developer, data analyst etc).

From my experience + what i've heard, both Monash and RMIT are good places to start.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile