Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:59 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568020 times)  Share 

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #990 on: June 23, 2017, 05:35:26 pm »
+2
Heyy Fam!

I was wondering if anyone has every been so organised that they have made a whole case/news article/ legislation document for Family Law they are willing to share and help a friend out? I have used the ones on the notes section but sorta need some more that also do explain a tad what each article/ case/ legisaltion is about. I normally am a tad more organized it is hust this has been a hectic week of assessments and my legal test is on monday so i dont have enough time to start writing and researching

My email is [email protected]
Your help is really appreciated

Thank you heaps in advance :) :) :) :) :)

I posted a fair few laws lists for Domestic Violence/Family Law a bit earlier. It's a page or two ago.

I think my teachers given me a booklet, if I remember I'll check and update you on it. There's a notes section ( https://atarnotes.com/note/legal-studies-cases/ ) and that was there. It gives a overview of select law reforms as well :)

Heavy Things :(

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2017, 05:37:34 pm »
+1
Hi GUYS,

I just had a question, how does the lack of a concrete definition for Indigenous peoples cause injustice? Shouldn't it be good, that their is a lack of definition so that there is a more broad set of criteria to allow more people to identify as Aboriginal??

Thanks

I'm a bit uncertain but a lack of definition may also promote false people trying to claim indigenous rights hence injustice. A vague and lacking definition creates grey areas in the law people will tend to abuse.

That's what I see anyway :) Hopefully it helps.
Heavy Things :(

emilybrooks99

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #992 on: June 24, 2017, 12:22:41 am »
+1
I've got my legal trial exam next week and I'm preparing an essay for one of our long responses. We were given one of the questions so I'd like to be as prepared as possible with it so I can ace it.

The question is "Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in dealing with issues related to birth technologies and surrogacy."

If anyone has any input as to how it would be best to structure it, which effectiveness criteria applies best, important cases, legislation or statistics, it would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know of any cases relating to same-sex marriage (or anything to do with same-sex relationships), as I'm having a hard time find many.

Thank you!

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:00:35 pm by jamonwindeyer »

soha.rizvi1

• Adventurer
« Reply #993 on: June 25, 2017, 09:30:50 pm »
+1
Hi Guys,

I just had a basic question in regards to legal essays, when the question talks about the 'effectivness of the law' or the ability of the 'law', what it the 'law' referring to? is it just international and domestic legislation or can it include legal mechanisms as well? like international mechanisms such as the ICJ and UN Bodies?

Thanks

kmiller

• Fresh Poster
  • School: The Armidale School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #994 on: June 26, 2017, 04:50:14 pm »
+1
Hey!

The legal studies faculty at my school isn't the strongest but I really love the subject, I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to prepare myself for the trials (and further exams) when we aren't given much beyond what's in the textbook in class?

Thanks so much! xx

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #995 on: June 26, 2017, 08:43:59 pm »
+1
Hello everyone!

I was wondeirng if someone could please help me answer the following "student learn to"

- discuss the difficulty of defining ‘family’ and the changing concepts of family
- distinguish between state and federal jurisdiction in family law
 and
-outline the legal processes involved in dealing with problems in family relationships

Thank you so much in advance.

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #996 on: June 26, 2017, 08:44:59 pm »
+1
I posted a fair few laws lists for Domestic Violence/Family Law a bit earlier. It's a page or two ago.

I think my teachers given me a booklet, if I remember I'll check and update you on it. There's a notes section ( https://atarnotes.com/note/legal-studies-cases/ ) and that was there. It gives a overview of select law reforms as well :)

Thanks sooo much Wales! Really appreciate your help

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #997 on: June 26, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »
+2
I've got my legal trial exam next week and I'm preparing an essay for one of our long responses. We were given one of the questions so I'd like to be as prepared as possible with it so I can ace it.

The question is "Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in dealing with issues related to birth technologies and surrogacy."

If anyone has any input as to how it would be best to structure it, which effectiveness criteria applies best, important cases, legislation or statistics, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hey Emily! Sorry for the late reply - Let me link you my summary sheets for Legal which include a page of evidence for surrogacy and birth technologies! In honesty, it's not the bit of Family Law I was best at, but hopefully it helps! :)

I'd structure it one of two ways:
- Case by case, examining the legal response holistically to specific issues/groups of issues concerning the topic.
- Response by response (Laws, Cases, etc all with their own paragraph)

The former would be my preferred approach for this question, but both would work! ;D

Does anyone know of any cases relating to same-sex marriage (or anything to do with same-sex relationships), as I'm having a hard time find many.
Thanks

Those sheets I linked you above have a heap of evidence for this part of Family Law ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2017, 09:01:38 pm »
+2
Hi Guys,

I just had a basic question in regards to legal essays, when the question talks about the 'effectivness of the law' or the ability of the 'law', what it the 'law' referring to? is it just international and domestic legislation or can it include legal mechanisms as well? like international mechanisms such as the ICJ and UN Bodies?

Thanks

Hey! It definitely refers to the legal response holistically - Legislation, treaties, judicial response, reports, media, all that evidence is relevant. So yep, that includes the legal mechanisms you've listed ;D

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:32 pm »
+1
hello again,

I was wondering if anyone had some good words to use in essay when evaluating the effectiveness of something/ the law

my limited vocab only has
- limited effectiveness
- significantly effective

Yeah i need more words to describe the effectiveness
thanks sooo much  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1000 on: June 26, 2017, 09:06:47 pm »
+3
Hey!

The legal studies faculty at my school isn't the strongest but I really love the subject, I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to prepare myself for the trials (and further exams) when we aren't given much beyond what's in the textbook in class?

Thanks so much! xx

Hey kmiller! Love that you love Legal, it's such a cool subject ;D

I'll link you to our Legal Studies Mega Thread which has a whole bunch of helpful information, advice and useful articles on Legal Studies content, taking exams, studying, all that sort of good stuff. I'm sure there will be useful stuff there :)

I'd advise you to do revision with your textbook, in conjunction with any other resources at your disposal, ideally creating a good summary of the content in note form, palm card form, poster form - Whatever you like. Or you could use some of the free downloadable ones I linked you above if you prefer. Then focus on doing practice questions, HSC Papers or Trials as you see fit!

Get feedback on your work often! I can mark your essays for Legal right here, you just need to post around on the site a bit more (15 posts per essay ;D). I state ranked it, so I'll be able to give you an idea of whether or not you are heading in the right direction :)

Best of luck! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1001 on: June 26, 2017, 09:24:04 pm »
+2
Hello everyone!

I was wondeirng if someone could please help me answer the following "student learn to"

Sure thing!! The thing with Family is that you only have to write an essay - Facts and dates aren't as vital as understanding the sorts of arguments and issues each dot point is alluding to...

- discuss the difficulty of defining ‘family’ and the changing concepts of family

Look at Family defined now versus the 1950's. We've gone from the Nuclear Family to a much broader spectrum of households and relationships. Same sex marriage, birth technologies, multiculturalism - All contributors. The law needs to be able to adapt in a timely way to respond to these emerging 'gaps' in the legal response.

- distinguish between state and federal jurisdiction in family law

Really, Family Law is a primarily federal matter. Domestic violence is handled by the states, as one example of an exemption? :)

-outline the legal processes involved in dealing with problems in family relationships

In essays this would primarily be discussing the Family Court of Australia! If you are looking for some useful evidence to use, check out the Family Court website ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: June 26, 2017, 09:34:31 pm »
+2
hello again,

I was wondering if anyone had some good words to use in essay when evaluating the effectiveness of something/ the law

my limited vocab only has
- limited effectiveness
- significantly effective

Yeah i need more words to describe the effectiveness
thanks sooo much  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It would be helpful to link your words to specifically what you are saying about the mechanism/response. So, saying it is quick? Say it is responsive. Want to say everyone can use it equally? Say accessible! A mechanism that everyone has to listen to? Enforceable. These link to the Year 11 effectiveness criteria and it works extremely well ;D

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1003 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »
+1
hey guys

I was wondering for a fmaily law reform essay how should i structure it?
Do you do one paragraph per legislation that has reformed or one part of the law that has changed and then talk about the legislation changing etc
I've confused myself heaps lol

Thanks sooo much fam! :))

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: June 28, 2017, 02:52:50 pm »
+3
hey guys

I was wondering for a fmaily law reform essay how should i structure it?
Do you do one paragraph per legislation that has reformed or one part of the law that has changed and then talk about the legislation changing etc
I've confused myself heaps lol

Thanks sooo much fam! :))

Hey! There's not really a golden standard here, it is much to your preference. Personally, I'd probably examine it issue by issue (EG - same sex law reform, birth technology law reform, domestic violence law reform), and in each paragraph cover things like legislation, case studies, statistics, reports and media articles. Basically giving a complete evaluation of the law's response to the issue, in a holistic sense ;D