Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:56:55 pm

Author Topic: Assessment marks and moderation  (Read 1885 times)

lm3032

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Assessment marks and moderation
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:57 pm »
So i was trying to find some information on what is meant when some people say "assessment marks can be moderated up to HSC marks if you perform better in the HSC exams". Is this a true statement or is there something more to it then just that?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Assessment marks and moderation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »
Welcome to the forums! Yep, that's a true statement (more or less), this guide should answer your questions!

BradMate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:57 pm »
hi, more on this....

so a little context: i'm ranked 19/20th in my 4u class, the top 12-15 will get E4 (extremely strong class) however those of us ranked 17th-20th have average marks of about 55% throughout the year, versus the 70-75% average of the class.

I think I performed better than my internal rank would suggest and hoping I can get about an 80 external hsc mark, however the 17th, 18th, 20th ranked will probably get 70-75ish external hsc mark.

I'm really unsure how the 'scaling' / 'moderation' will play out... am I likely to get weighed down and cop and assessment mark in the low 70s (consistent with the second lowest external hsc mark), or will the very strong top 15 students drag us all up and will my internal mark be even greater than my own external mark??? What r ur thoughts on where my final hsc mark might be??

I appreciate your response - thanks.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:29:58 am »
+3
hi, more on this....

so a little context: i'm ranked 19/20th in my 4u class, the top 12-15 will get E4 (extremely strong class) however those of us ranked 17th-20th have average marks of about 55% throughout the year, versus the 70-75% average of the class.

I think I performed better than my internal rank would suggest and hoping I can get about an 80 external hsc mark, however the 17th, 18th, 20th ranked will probably get 70-75ish external hsc mark.

I'm really unsure how the 'scaling' / 'moderation' will play out... am I likely to get weighed down and cop and assessment mark in the low 70s (consistent with the second lowest external hsc mark), or will the very strong top 15 students drag us all up and will my internal mark be even greater than my own external mark??? What r ur thoughts on where my final hsc mark might be??

I appreciate your response - thanks.

Hey! If your cohort has, on the whole, had a strong performance then the upper range will pull up the stragglers. Very possible you get an assessment mark in the 80's, especially if your exam mark is as high as you believe it will be! ;D

Again, this guide should contain all the information you need to picture what will happen ;D

BradMate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:47:22 pm »
+1
Hey! If your cohort has, on the whole, had a strong performance then the upper range will pull up the stragglers. Very possible you get an assessment mark in the 80's, especially if your exam mark is as high as you believe it will be! ;D

Again, this guide should contain all the information you need to picture what will happen ;D

Thanks for the prompt response Jamon! That is great news.