Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:06 am

Author Topic: RANT: public transport  (Read 1194 times)  Share 

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
RANT: public transport
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:36:57 pm »
+2
this is the only time i will try and use correct grammar because yeah why not

I go on public transport all the time. I take the 6:30 bus, the 7:05 train and any tram except one to school. Sometimes I take the bus back home or my father picks me up. So I literally just want to take each piece of public transport and try to nicely criticise it. Not the people who operate them, those guys go through hell dealing with all the animalistic people every day. Anyways:

Bus
The bus is honestly fine when it isn't peak/rush hour or have school children on them. Yes, I am in highschool, however, I try to keep to myself because I have no friends who take my route so it's pretty easy to. Sometimes I end up being a dick, but at least I try not to be. I can't really blame people when it is peak hour because everyone just wants to go home. But school children are a whole other level. I have an early finish on Wednesdays and if I get on any train after the earliest one, it is chaos. There are so many kids just disturbing and harrassing other passengers and get annoyed when, for example, someone would like to sit on the disabled seats but they don't want to get up for them. Like, why. Why would you do that? It's so painful to watch. And then the Myki officers. They try and argue with them about not touching on. Like, it is 3:00 in the afternoon, your school finished in half an hour so you are obviously going to be questioned and will get a warning notice or fine for not touching on. juST TOUCH ON PLEASE. Overall, the bus is honestly just meh. Not bad or good. Just meh.

Tram
Ok, so, people on the tram are incredibly wild. The bus is horrible enough but the tram is just a nightmare. People do not understand how to move out of the way so others can get off. Like, if you step out of the tram for three seconds to let a working adult off, the tram driver will not close the doors and just keep going without you. It never happens (if it has well damn) so just, yeah. Also it is not hard to take your bag off and put it between your legs. I had to bring jelly cups for a cake stall at school and this kid had, I'm assuming but I'm pretty sure I'm correct, 7 and a half bricks in his bag because he literally swung around and made the box drop out of my hands and destroyed my jellies. I told him, "hey, you should at least say sorry" and then he said, "what do you mean? You weren't being careful." Like, I have no words for you. Take off your bag and put it between your legs because the next old lady you hit in the face with it may hit you back twice as hard. Again, sometimes there's too many people on a tram, so people will lose their grip or topple forwards and backwards. Why would you get angry at them? Let them hold on to something or let them hold on to you. Why is common sense so hard to find these days? On top of that, people who don't move down on a tram. There's a special place in hell for you. People are dangling off the doorways but you refuse to move down because then you'll have to hold on to another pole. And when people do move down the tram and the whole tram is just packed and people are dangling off the doorway, do nOT TRY AND PUSH ON. JUST WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE. I take trams down St Kilda road and it just pisses me off when people do that. There are like 5 or 6 other routes right behind this tram, what's so special about this one? Is Kanye West on this tram? No, he isn't , you absolute mongrel. I tried being nice but it is just frustrating. agaIN WHY WONT YOU GIVE UP PRIORITY SEATS FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED THEM. The tram is fine with little to no one. Anyone more is just a sweaty nightmare

Train
Honestly the train is fine. I feel like I'm a massive nuisance on the train, though. This is where ALL of my friends come on so we are all just really excited and sometimes we squeal, laugh and scream. I am so sorry for disturbing you, genuinely. We try to calm down but it can not be helped. However, do you know who you can not calm down? Crying babies and toddlers. Why? Because they are too young to communicate what they want with words and they only know how to express it in some form of noise. One time (true story) I was on the train with a friend and a baby began to cry. Both of us thought, "wow that baby must be upset." These group of ADULT men literally asked the mother to, "shut the baby up before [he] put a muzzle on it." How fucking disgusting are you? I do not care how tired you are, but that baby/toddler doesn't know how to communicate and you were once one. So shut up and deal with it. On the train people do usually give up priority seats. The epidemic of not giving up a seat is usually seen in buses and trams but people who complain about little children being excited or crying? Why don't you take care of a child for one day by yourself? It is so hard and tiring, it is not easy to make a baby/toddler/child to be quiet because they usually are quiet on public transport unless there's something wrong with them. pleASE STOP

I know I sound like a massive bitch but I just had to let this out ughh
taking a break.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: RANT: public transport
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:48:00 pm »
+1
Oh my goodness, your point about trains is so true. People having a lack of compassion and human decency towards others disgusts me and it is blatantly clear on public transport. Just having a bit of understanding whenever small children are involved is always greatly appreciated. I was on a train yesterday with a child I look after, who was making a couple of loud noises, however, we were sitting up the far end away from other passengers and she was in her wheelchair so it was pretty clear that she had a disability. That did not stop the glances, dirty looks and an audible groan from other passengers. I think that a little empathy can go a long way, just in general but especially on public transport when the experience is already awful enough.

I think that the thing I hate about public transport the most is the germs. Hearing people cough or seeing people blow their nose makes me hyper aware of how many people have sat in the seat before me and how many germs I am breathing in.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 10:26:11 pm »
+6
Also worth reflecting the fact that we're the second most developed country in the world and Melbourne (in particular) has a PT system that would be more at home in a middle income country. Hopeless.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 12:27:10 pm »
Also worth reflecting the fact that we're the second most developed country in the world and Melbourne (in particular) has a PT system that would be more at home in a middle income country. Hopeless.

Honestly, we all are absolutely horrific on public transport..
taking a break.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:04 pm »
+1
Oh my goodness, your point about trains is so true. People having a lack of compassion and human decency towards others disgusts me and it is blatantly clear on public transport. Just having a bit of understanding whenever small children are involved is always greatly appreciated. I was on a train yesterday with a child I look after, who was making a couple of loud noises, however, we were sitting up the far end away from other passengers and she was in her wheelchair so it was pretty clear that she had a disability. That did not stop the glances, dirty looks and an audible groan from other passengers. I think that a little empathy can go a long way, just in general but especially on public transport when the experience is already awful enough.

I think that the thing I hate about public transport the most is the germs. Hearing people cough or seeing people blow their nose makes me hyper aware of how many people have sat in the seat before me and how many germs I am breathing in.

1. That child incident is absolutely disgusting. Calm yourself, like, you are in a carriage with so many people you do not know. The least you can do is tolerate a bit of noise
2. The germ thing is disgusting and really scary. One time on the news a man sat down on a seat and was PIERCED by needles stuck into the seat. It always makes me pat down the seat and look before I sit. Another time I saw three girls eating food, licked their fingers, wiped it on the seat and ate again and the cycle repeated
taking a break.