Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:09:01 am

Author Topic: Struggling unit 1/2  (Read 955 times)  Share 

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Struggling unit 1/2
« on: June 04, 2019, 06:51:21 pm »
My scores this year have been:
Linear 48% and 59%
Quadratics 46% and 50%
Cubics 70% and 48%
Probabillitu: 78%
We had the function and set notation Sac today and it I’m not sure I passed. Should I drop out? I’d really like to be doing above 80% next year but at this rate I’ll never get close. My self esteem is taking a bit of a self hit from all this. Should I get a tutor?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

lakvinu

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Struggling unit 1/2
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:13:19 pm »
Hello,

First thing I want to ask did you actually try in these test and study for it. Topics such as LInear and Quadratics have fairly common questions. Have you done all the textbook questions and actually understood the concept properly. Don't give up on methods yet. Secondly its only unit 1 and 2 so it doesn't affect your study score so don't be too self-conscious and get worried. It's only half the year and you have plenty of time to get better. I suggest that you properly first understand the concept of each chapter properly. Understand why certain things happen the way it happens. After that, you should do chapter tests to check if you know it. If you don't know a question, don't get lazy and just ignore make sure you ask your teacher how to do it. The best way to get better other than doing the questions, is to honestly understand. Plenty of students just memorise how to do the questions which can cause them to stumble when they come across a question that they are not used to. Read the worked example properly, search on khan academy or youtube for more information on the certain topics or you could get a tutor to help you out. Having a tutor will enhance your study but needless to say they are teaching the same concept. So if you actually work hard by yourself you don't really need a tutor. But if you will you are lazy then make sure you get a tutor. Don't give up yet continue to try your best and make sure you understand.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:15:36 pm by lakvinu »

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 10:05:37 pm »
Hello,

First thing I want to ask did you actually try in these test and study for it. Topics such as LInear and Quadratics have fairly common questions. Have you done all the textbook questions and actually understood the concept properly. Don't give up on methods yet. Secondly its only unit 1 and 2 so it doesn't affect your study score so don't be too self-conscious and get worried. It's only half the year and you have plenty of time to get better. I suggest that you properly first understand the concept of each chapter properly. Understand why certain things happen the way it happens. After that, you should do chapter tests to check if you know it. If you don't know a question, don't get lazy and just ignore make sure you ask your teacher how to do it. The best way to get better other than doing the questions, is to honestly understand. Plenty of students just memorise how to do the questions which can cause them to stumble when they come across a question that they are not used to. Read the worked example properly, search on khan academy or youtube for more information on the certain topics or you could get a tutor to help you out. Having a tutor will enhance your study but needless to say they are teaching the same concept. So if you actually work hard by yourself you don't really need a tutor. But if you will you are lazy then make sure you get a tutor. Don't give up yet continue to try your best and make sure you understand.

I do all the set homework, review questions, constantly asking the teacher questions (I think maybe I annoy him 🤔) and ouch- I really am trying and studying  :( also I didn’t do quadratics at my old school so everytime factoring and other methods relating to that come up I struggle even though that’s just a small part of the question (I.e drawing the parabola by completing the square to then state domain range and type of function)
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

Carlamaker

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:47:09 pm »
Definitely take what the guy above said seriously. Since you missed out on a lot, I looks like some fundamental knowledge hasn't been absorbed as it should have. Explain to your teacher exactly what you don't understand, and DON'T BE EMBARASSED! Don't just nod your head even though you don't get why something is the way it is, even the smallest bits. I was guilty of pretending to understand myself, and I can tell you that it only harms yourself. you said that he might think you're a bother but honestly, if you seek his help and improve, I am certain that he won't mind in the end.

I know this sounds like a mean thing to do, but maybe see what the average in your class is, especially if you go to a school that gives harder tests. My teacher put our class average on the program we use so that parents wouldn't freak out about their child's low score, it was 58%.

Have you considered making a study group? Talking with other students is also a very big help. Even online, on discord or even Reddit there are communities ready for you to join. Good luck.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 10:32:22 pm »
Definitely take what the guy above said seriously. Since you missed out on a lot, I looks like some fundamental knowledge hasn't been absorbed as it should have. Explain to your teacher exactly what you don't understand, and DON'T BE EMBARASSED! Don't just nod your head even though you don't get why something is the way it is, even the smallest bits. I was guilty of pretending to understand myself, and I can tell you that it only harms yourself. you said that he might think you're a bother but honestly, if you seek his help and improve, I am certain that he won't mind in the end.

I know this sounds like a mean thing to do, but maybe see what the average in your class is, especially if you go to a school that gives harder tests. My teacher put our class average on the program we use so that parents wouldn't freak out about their child's low score, it was 58%.

Have you considered making a study group? Talking with other students is also a very big help. Even online, on discord or even Reddit there are communities ready for you to join. Good luck.

The class average is 60% so yeah I guess they are kind of difficult (it’s a science school)
My avatar sums up life.