Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:05:31 pm

Author Topic: What's with the study scores this year?  (Read 3257 times)

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
What's with the study scores this year?
« on: January 01, 2021, 02:09:14 pm »
I've seen around that people were estimating that they'd get a low 40's study score but end up getting a 50.
For example, I posted what my grades were, and people said that I'd probably get about a 43-45, but I ended up getting 50?

Does this usually happen, or is it because of how COVID has affected schooling this year?
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
Re: What's with the study scores this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 02:21:25 pm »
It could be a variety of factors, but I think it's most likely people underestimate themselves - just like I do (and I got called out on it by my thesis exam panel late November lol)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 02:22:49 pm »
I've seen around that people were estimating that they'd get a low 40's study score but end up getting a 50.
For example, I posted what my grades were, and people said that I'd probably get about a 43-45, but I ended up getting 50?

Does this usually happen, or is it because of how COVID has affected schooling this year?
Looking at the times you asked for predictions some of the answers were a bit inaccurate but there were also others who said a 50 was possible (keltingmeith)

I think not being rank 1 may result in people being more hesitant in estimating a 50 since how your sac scales can impact your score quite a bit.

I don't think covid played a factor. 126-127/130 is high 40s/50 territory for physics most years.

EDIT: beaten by insanipi
It could be a variety of factors, but I think it's most likely people underestimate themselves - just like I do (and I got called out on it by my thesis exam panel late November lol)
definitely this -> most people underestimate themselves you will see on the predictions thread most people scoring much better every year

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 08:12:01 pm »

I also found it the other way - for Texts and Traditions the prediction by everyone was far higher than I actually got (I hoped/expected for a high 30s/40 score, teacher for low/mid 40s, etc.). English was similar though to a lesser extent (others were seeming to expect maybe 2 higher or more than that). Is this unusual?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Mackenzie Aps

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:34:06 pm »
I felt the ranking was a bit of a let down for me. I got a B B+ and B+ for Legal and only managed a 33. I was hoping with these scores when I did the study score estimator to come out at mid 30's to 38? I was quite disappointed.