Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:17 pm

Author Topic: Remy’s DeLOTEful VCE Journey  (Read 13121 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: Remy’s DeLOTEful VCE Journey
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2019, 11:00:39 am »
+3
Awesome results Remy! Super happy for you that all your hard work paid off, and it still amazes me that you manged to do so many languages!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2019, 11:17:04 am »
+7
I have so much respect for that. TWO LOTE SUBJECTS IN YEAR 12
Thank you brothanathan! :) Well done to you too for tackling Chinese, all the best for next year!

Well done Remy! What a fantastic achievement, you should be so so proud of how hard you worked this year. It's so inspiring to see that you have done so well through hard work and perseverance alone whilst overcoming many personal barriers. Chinese is so hard as well, I did it last year and honestly getting a 36 is no easy feat  :) all the best with uni!!
Thanks for the encouragement smallbean! Hope you're happy with your results, best of luck next year!! :D

Despite our different views on SEAS and the impact of disadvantage on educational achievement, I 100% echo that in difficult circumstances it can be possible to achieve well above what your demographics would predict.

I'm glad you're proud of what you have achieved because you absolutely should be & I'm glad that in the end you're happy with the choices you made about how you want to approach your education. Huge congratulations & I'm glad that you now have the security of knowing you'll easily make it into your first preference.

P.S. Be prepared to receive messages years from now from students in your school (that you never met) wanting advice.
Thank you so much Bri. You're honestly amazing and your own phenomenal achievements have inspired me so much this year. I'm glad that despite having different views we can find common ground in that we have the same values and goals in helping our community. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

Oh yes, it has already started! I'm kind of surprised but also really glad that this can let future students aspire to work harder.

Awesome results Remy! Super happy for you that all your hard work paid off, and it still amazes me that you manged to do so many languages!
Thank you so much Geoo! :) All the best to you for next year!!
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2019, 04:10:58 pm »
+3
Well done, Remy33!!!
That is such a phenomenal ATAR, especially considering all of the challenges that you overcame! :)

eemmaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
+3
Congratulations, that's absolutely insane! I'm honestly in awe of all you've managed to accomplish.

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2019, 06:41:52 pm »
+3
Well done, Remy33!!!
That is such a phenomenal ATAR, especially considering all of the challenges that you overcame! :)
Thanks Snow Leopard! Good luck with your LOTEs, my PM's are always open if you have any questions on them :)

Congratulations, that's absolutely insane! I'm honestly in awe of all you've managed to accomplish.
Thank you Emma! :) :)
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2019, 09:47:18 pm »
+1
And we’ve arrived at my final update!

So — the ATAR. I honestly started crying when I saw it. I’m not usually an emotional guy, but for once I felt so overwhelmed. I had gotten above what I needed for my course, but that wasn’t why. My prediction had been a 96, which is more than enough.

My results:

English:  50  (A+, A+, A+)
Global Politics:  46  (A+, A+, A+)
Methods:  41  (A+, A, A+)
Chinese:  36  (A+, B+, A+)
Russian:  35  (B, A, A+)
Portuguese: 42  (A+, A, A+) - 2018

ATAR: 99.40

My LOTE scores were disappointing. I figured I had a solid chance at high 30s or even low 40s in Russian, I didn't expect a B in my SACs at all as I was averaging A's all year. I was also aiming for a 37 in Chinese so that was a let down too.

Overall, I am really happy with my scores. Never once in my life would I have imagined that getting a 99 ATAR was remotely possible. My biggest surprises were English and Methods. I'm not a maths person at all, frankly I didn't understand half of the content this year! And English... Oh my god!

Also my English buddy, the one I had the essay-exchange system with, got a 43 in English! I don't think our school has ever had more than two 40+ SS in one year before so hopefully our ranking on better education shoots up this year!

I duxed, and also became the first person at my school to get a 90+ ATAR in 7 years! I also duxed English and methods (I would also say GloPol, but I'm also the only person in my cohort). Finally, and most importantly, I got the ATAR needed for my top preference, Global Studies / Commerce at Monash!!!!

All I can say now is, I did it without SEAS. Without tutoring. I did it, as a student at one of the lowest ranking schools in one of the lowest SES suburbs in VIC. I did all that while working 2 jobs with graveyard shifts, while taking care of 4 younger siblings while my single mum works 12 hours a day, everyday. And I did it while being school captain and debating captain. And you know what? I am fucking proud of myself.

I know my opinion on SEAS doesn't sit well with the rest of the community here, but I will say it regardless. I am glad I did not apply for SEAS, even though I qualified for all 4 categories. I'm glad I didn't apply, even though I would've had it so much easier if I did. I am so glad I did not apply, because now I can say I got into Monash on my own accord, because of my own efforts, rather than because some policymaker sitting in an office decided that I cannot possibly score as well as some rich kid from St Kevins.

As this is the final update, I want to end with a word of advice to the class of 2020. Do not believe for one second that you are limited by your situation. Doesn't matter if you go to an elite private school in the eastern suburbs, or a rural public school in the west, your result is a reflection of how hard YOU worked. If anyone reading this is in a situation similar to my own, I hope this is proof that you can certainly do well if you put in the effort. Do not give up hope, have confidence in yourself, and most important of all, be accountable for your own studies. If you do well, be proud of yourself. If you fall short, think how you can improve. Whatever the case, remember that you do not have a disadvantage, unless you choose to see it as such.

Anyway, I'll sign off now. Hope to see some of you at Monash next year!
DAMN THAT SPEECH! Could have been a graduation speech!! Congratulations on your results!! I am sure you are a role model for many!
Do you very best, and nothing less!

2020-21: 95.05 - psych (43), bio (40) & LOTE (40)
2022-25: BSciAdvResearch(Hons)

pm me if you're interested in biology tutoring!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
+3
As a long-time follower of your journal, it is so fantastic to hear how well you have done. I cannot think of anyone who deserves such a fantastic score as much as you. I have so much respect for who you are as a person and all that you juggled so fantastically!

nanab

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2020, 01:41:58 pm »
+11
And we’ve arrived at my final update!

So — the ATAR. I honestly started crying when I saw it. I’m not usually an emotional guy, but for once I felt so overwhelmed. I had gotten above what I needed for my course, but that wasn’t why. My prediction had been a 96, which is more than enough.

My results:

English:  50  (A+, A+, A+)
Global Politics:  46  (A+, A+, A+)
Methods:  41  (A+, A, A+)
Chinese:  36  (A+, B+, A+)
Russian:  35  (B, A, A+)
Portuguese: 42  (A+, A, A+) - 2018

ATAR: 99.40

My LOTE scores were disappointing. I figured I had a solid chance at high 30s or even low 40s in Russian, I didn't expect a B in my SACs at all as I was averaging A's all year. I was also aiming for a 37 in Chinese so that was a let down too.

Overall, I am really happy with my scores. Never once in my life would I have imagined that getting a 99 ATAR was remotely possible. My biggest surprises were English and Methods. I'm not a maths person at all, frankly I didn't understand half of the content this year! And English... Oh my god!

Also my English buddy, the one I had the essay-exchange system with, got a 43 in English! I don't think our school has ever had more than two 40+ SS in one year before so hopefully our ranking on better education shoots up this year!

I duxed, and also became the first person at my school to get a 90+ ATAR in 7 years! I also duxed English and methods (I would also say GloPol, but I'm also the only person in my cohort). Finally, and most importantly, I got the ATAR needed for my top preference, Global Studies / Commerce at Monash!!!!

All I can say now is, I did it without SEAS. Without tutoring. I did it, as a student at one of the lowest ranking schools in one of the lowest SES suburbs in VIC. I did all that while working 2 jobs with graveyard shifts, while taking care of 4 younger siblings while my single mum works 12 hours a day, everyday. And I did it while being school captain and debating captain. And you know what? I am fucking proud of myself.

I know my opinion on SEAS doesn't sit well with the rest of the community here, but I will say it regardless. I am glad I did not apply for SEAS, even though I qualified for all 4 categories. I'm glad I didn't apply, even though I would've had it so much easier if I did. I am so glad I did not apply, because now I can say I got into Monash on my own accord, because of my own efforts, rather than because some policymaker sitting in an office decided that I cannot possibly score as well as some rich kid from St Kevins.

As this is the final update, I want to end with a word of advice to the class of 2020. Do not believe for one second that you are limited by your situation. Doesn't matter if you go to an elite private school in the eastern suburbs, or a rural public school in the west, your result is a reflection of how hard YOU worked. If anyone reading this is in a situation similar to my own, I hope this is proof that you can certainly do well if you put in the effort. Do not give up hope, have confidence in yourself, and most important of all, be accountable for your own studies. If you do well, be proud of yourself. If you fall short, think how you can improve. Whatever the case, remember that you do not have a disadvantage, unless you choose to see it as such.

Anyway, I'll sign off now. Hope to see some of you at Monash next year!

Hi Remy33. Having found myself in a similar position a few years back, this story felt inspirational...then my sibling's friend told me that in her cohort this year, only 7 people received a 46 in global politics according to the high achievers list (none of which did not provide consent for publication). Linked here: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/40plushighachievers/2019StudyData.pdf
none of of whom attended low SES schools or have received 50 in English and a 41 in methods. It is disheartening that people post whatever they feel like posting under the guise of anonymity. But these posts are not only fuelling confirmation bias that makes others feel like 99+ is the norm, they are particularly disheartening for people that actually go to under-resourced and under-represented schools, where SEAS remains an equaliser.