Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:35:53 pm

Author Topic: HSC English (Paper 2) - 18/10/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 10123 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Post all exam discussion, questions, and sample solutions for Paper 2 here!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 04:28:18 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

hollyhock124

• Fresh Poster
Hi, I was just wondering what is the best way to structure your essay for Mod B in Paper 2? How many body paragraphs should your write?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
Hi, I was just wondering what is the best way to structure your essay for Mod B in Paper 2? How many body paragraphs should your write?

Hey, hollyhock124!

Welcome to the forums! I would always recommend three body paragraphs for Module B since it allows room for depth and breadth in your discussion. I always structured my body paragraphs thematically , with each body focusing on a particular theme, value, concept or idea from the text. You could also structure it by form, characters or plot depending on the question but thematic essays are usually the strongest ones to go with!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

hollyhock124

• Fresh Poster
Thanks for your reply Angelina!

I also wanted to know if this applies if your texts for Module B are T.S. Eliot's Selected Poems? It was suggested we analyse 2 poems over 4 body paragraphs, what are your thoughts on this?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Thanks for your reply Angelina!

I also wanted to know if this applies if your texts for Module B are T.S. Eliot's Selected Poems? It was suggested we analyse 2 poems over 4 body paragraphs, what are your thoughts on this?

Hey, hollyhock124!

I would definitely go with that suggestion since it balances out the discussion better! You would be looking at a structure like this;

Theme 1
Paragraph 1- Poem 1
Paragraph 2- Poem 2

Theme 2
Paragraph 1- Poem 1
Paragraph 2- Poem 2

This can allow you to group the texts together under common themes and create a semi-integrated style of analysis  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

phungies

• Trailblazer

Regarding this question, in your analysis + linking statements, should you always say as to why our texts are enduring today? E.g. Jane Austen's themes on the importance of love and marriage remain significant today as some contemporary individuals still execute Regency motivations whereby they marry to increase social standing (?)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Regarding this question, in your analysis + linking statements, should you always say as to why our texts are enduring today? E.g. Jane Austen's themes on the importance of love and marriage remain significant today as some contemporary individuals still execute Regency motivations whereby they marry to increase social standing (?)

Hey, phungies!

Indeed you should! Module B is really driven by textual integrity and you should make sure your linking statements always refer back to it. You can use alternative phrases like "the text remains compelling...", "enduring value", "continual relevance" and "lasting impact" to illustrate this in your response. Ultimately, your essay should prove that whatever aspect/s of the text that is asked in the question (whether it be about the themes, to the clever way Austen uses form) contributes to why the text is timeless and resonates with readers both past and present. Hope that clarifies that :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

hollyhock124

• Fresh Poster
Hey, hollyhock124!

I would definitely go with that suggestion since it balances out the discussion better! You would be looking at a structure like this;

Theme 1
Paragraph 1- Poem 1
Paragraph 2- Poem 2

Theme 2
Paragraph 1- Poem 1
Paragraph 2- Poem 2

This can allow you to group the texts together under common themes and create a semi-integrated style of analysis  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks that helps!
But if we were to write three paragraphs on three different poems, is that acceptable?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Thanks that helps!
But if we were to write three paragraphs on three different poems, is that acceptable?

Hey, again!

There isn't a right or wrong way to structure the essay; it's best you do what you're most comfortable with! There are two ways you could go about it with three paragraphs. One is the way you've outlined.

Theme 1
Paragraph 1- Poem 1
Theme 2
Paragraph 2- Poem 2
Theme 3
Paragraph 3- Poem 3

Alternatively, you could do an integrated structure like the one below.

Theme 1
Paragraph 1- Poems 1 and 2
Theme 2
Paragraph 2- Poems 1 and 3
Theme 3
Paragraph 3- Poems 2 and 3

As you can see, both structures ensure there's balanced discussion across all three texts. It again really is up to you which one you go with  :) To sum, the three paragraphs on three different poems is totally an acceptable approach to go with  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

worldno1

• Trailblazer
Hey, phungies!

Indeed you should! Module B is really driven by textual integrity and you should make sure your linking statements always refer back to it. You can use alternative phrases like "the text remains compelling...", "enduring value", "continual relevance" and "lasting impact" to illustrate this in your response. Ultimately, your essay should prove that whatever aspect/s of the text that is asked in the question (whether it be about the themes, to the clever way Austen uses form) contributes to why the text is timeless and resonates with readers both past and present. Hope that clarifies that :D

Angelina  ;D

I'm doing Eliot but the question still applies - just to confirm, do we constantly have to refer to textual integrity throughout our body paragraphs even if the question doesn't specify it?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
I'm doing Eliot but the question still applies - just to confirm, do we constantly have to refer to textual integrity throughout our body paragraphs even if the question doesn't specify it?

Hey, worldno1!

Strong responses will refer to it throughout your analysis in ways such as "the audience is able to..." or "...extending the text's significance beyond its contextual bounds." Your final linking sentence at the end of each body paragraph really needs to refer to textual integrity though for it to be a successful Module B essay. Even if the question doesn't specify it and looks at, say, his representations of isolation, you would still argue that it is because of these representations that the text remains compelling, has timelessness etc. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Essay127

• Adventurer
Hey! Just had a question about Module B. I studied T.S Eliot's poems this year (Rhapsody on a Windy Night, Preludes, The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock, The Hollow Men and Journey of the Magi) and I was wondering: how likely is it for them to specify a certain poem in the question?

I noticed they specified poems in 2015 and 2017 (Hollow Men in one year and Magi in the other). Currently, I've got a pretty decent essay for Preludes + Prufrock thoroughly reviewed and prepared. However, for the other three poems, I have analysed them again, made thorough notes and so I have a general overview in mind, but I'm still worried about them specifying one or more of the poems I don't have an essay on. Do you think its too late to write one at this point?

Also, if they were to specify a poem, would it therefore be very unlikely for them to specify Hollow Men and Magi again since they did it in the past?

Thank you, any advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 04:35:46 pm by Essay127 »

kimlovesge

• Fresh Poster
Hi, I was wondering if someone can explain what 'cultural perspectives' (MOD A) means? Is it how an individual is perceived or perceives themselves in society? I'm so confused TT

worldno1

• Trailblazer
Hey, worldno1!

Strong responses will refer to it throughout your analysis in ways such as "the audience is able to..." or "...extending the text's significance beyond its contextual bounds." Your final linking sentence at the end of each body paragraph really needs to refer to textual integrity though for it to be a successful Module B essay. Even if the question doesn't specify it and looks at, say, his representations of isolation, you would still argue that it is because of these representations that the text remains compelling, has timelessness etc. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Oh wait, I do currently have stuff like "prompts modern readers to realise...", which relates back to textual integrity?

I'm not sure if you've done Eliot before but in some trial papers, they detailed the need for only TWO poems to be discussed. However, my essay is a 3-poem structure. In past HSCs, they've never specified the number of poems...gosh, I don't know if I have time to revise another paragraph for each poem. :/

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Hey, everyone!

I just got back from uni so apologies if this is a really delayed response and you're all tucked in bed ready for the exam tomorrow. Hopefully you'll see this before Paper 2!

Hey! Just had a question about Module B. I studied T.S Eliot's poems this year (Rhapsody on a Windy Night, Preludes, The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock, The Hollow Men and Journey of the Magi) and I was wondering: how likely is it for them to specify a certain poem in the question?

I noticed they specified poems in 2015 and 2017 (Hollow Men in one year and Magi in the other). Currently, I've got a pretty decent essay for Preludes + Prufrock thoroughly reviewed and prepared. However, for the other three poems, I have analysed them again, made thorough notes and so I have a general overview in mind, but I'm still worried about them specifying one or more of the poems I don't have an essay on. Do you think its too late to write one at this point?

Also, if they were to specify a poem, would it therefore be very unlikely for them to specify Hollow Men and Magi again since they did it in the past?

Thank you, any advice is appreciated.

Hey, Essay127!

I highly doubt they will specify a poem since it's the first year of the new syllabus and it would be off-putting to. I always recommend students have a prepared essay if they really need to memorise something to feel confident but still cover enough bases in the unlikely event there is something left-wing thrown in the exam. As long as you have quotes and techniques in mind for the other poems, you'll be alright  :)

I also don't want to make any predictions as to whether they will specify a poem or not if they decided to but I do think it's never entirely out of the picture, especially when the new syllabus is basically meant to be a clean slate. In short, I still don't think they will specify a poem for Module B and even if they did, what you've prepared will be more than enough for that event  :)

Hi, I was wondering if someone can explain what 'cultural perspectives' (MOD A) means? Is it how an individual is perceived or perceives themselves in society? I'm so confused TT

Hey, kimlovesge!

Perspectives/perceptions are basically views that are held by an individual on themselves and/or in society. Cultural perspectives are views that are held as informed by the lifestyles, customs, norms, beliefs and values (all these contribute to culture!) the individual upholds. When writing about it in the essay, you would explore how personal, social and/or political perspectives are shaped in the text and what they show us about the cultures that are around them. You'd be justifying how language is used to share these perspectives to help us as audiences better understand people and their unique ways of living  :D

Oh wait, I do currently have stuff like "prompts modern readers to realise...", which relates back to textual integrity?

I'm not sure if you've done Eliot before but in some trial papers, they detailed the need for only TWO poems to be discussed. However, my essay is a 3-poem structure. In past HSCs, they've never specified the number of poems...gosh, I don't know if I have time to revise another paragraph for each poem. :/

Hey, worldno1!

That example is a great way you've illustrated textual integrity in your response  :D I didn't study Eliot personally but I have tutored it for this year. I doubt the HSC exam will specify the number of poems for your essay because it's quite limiting to do that. If you have three, go with three :) It wouldn't be wise to memorise another paragraph for each poem with Paper 2 around the corner. I would keep maybe two quotes from each of the other poems up your sleeve to use in the worst-case scenario that you might have to write them on the spot. Otherwise, do what works best for you!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-