Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:20:04 am

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 340827 times)  Share 

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #315 on: January 29, 2016, 11:58:06 am »
There's lockers in Menzies Building as well as at Monash Sport however I don't think it's worth the time getting a locker (whether it'd save you time from getting from class to class if say you have to log yourself from Engineering Hall from Menzies and back  :P)

What do you mean by 'log'? Aren't there lockers in the engineering building?
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #316 on: January 29, 2016, 12:13:20 pm »
Whoops sorry wrong word (probably should have written "bring" instead) but yeah there should be lockers at the Engineering Hall too (not too familiar with it since I don't need to venture over there too much) but just take into consideration the time you have between classes whether you need to go to your locker and can make it back on time (would make more sense if you had practicals if you can't bring bags in [probably somebody would have to clear this up] but I don't think it's the case with Eng/Comm if I'm not mistaken)

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #317 on: January 29, 2016, 02:30:24 pm »
+1
What is the locker situation at the Clayton campus? I can't seem to find any information online. Thanks!
There are lockers scattered around uni ranging in sizes depending on their purpose and there are indeed lockers in the Engineering area, specifically at 21/23 College Walk (possibly elsewhere in the area too). Out of curiosity what purpose are you looking to use them for? I only ask because at uni you are more than welcome to take your bag with you to all your classes (and most people tend to do so), so they are not a necessity like they were in school.
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2016, 02:33:32 pm »
There are lockers scattered around uni ranging in sizes depending on their purpose and there are indeed lockers in the Engineering area, specifically at 21/23 College Walk (possibly elsewhere in the area too). Out of curiosity what purpose are you looking to use them for? I only ask because at uni you are more than welcome to take your bag with you to all your classes (and most people tend to do so), so they are not a necessity like they were in school.

I'm just kind of used to having a place of my own...if you know what I mean. How would I purchase one?

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2016, 02:50:15 pm »
+1
I'm just kind of used to having a place of my own...if you know what I mean. How would I purchase one?
In last years Faculty of Engineering Survival Guide it states:

"Lockers located near the engineering lecture theatres in building 32 are available for use by engineering students. Select a locker and immediately attach a lock and make a note of your locker number. You must bring your own padlock to use a locker, and lockers must be emptied -by the end of November each year. (Any locks remaining in the new year will be cut off and contents disposed.) Note: it’s a good idea to use a large, strong padlock that can’t easily be removed (not a small one)."

I'd advise going to the Faculty of Engineering office anyway and querying whether this information was still correct as I was under the impression you had to fill out a form before doing so.
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:22 pm »
In last years Faculty of Engineering Survival Guide it states:

"Lockers located near the engineering lecture theatres in building 32 are available for use by engineering students. Select a locker and immediately attach a lock and make a note of your locker number. You must bring your own padlock to use a locker, and lockers must be emptied -by the end of November each year. (Any locks remaining in the new year will be cut off and contents disposed.) Note: it’s a good idea to use a large, strong padlock that can’t easily be removed (not a small one)."

I'd advise going to the Faculty of Engineering office anyway and querying whether this information was still correct as I was under the impression you had to fill out a form before doing so.

I just called the faculty of engineering, and they just told me to come over and put a lock of one of the lockers. That was it...I'm kinda scared to do it though...

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2016, 03:06:25 pm »
+1
I just called the faculty of engineering, and they just told me to come over and put a lock of one of the lockers. That was it...I'm kinda scared to do it though...

Why? There are probably people around campus at this time, should be pretty safe! :)

Darth_Pepe

« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »
+1
I want to apply for the Monash Unistart scholarship, and in the page of this scholarship (http://www.study.monash/fees-scholarships/scholarships/find/equity-scholarships/unistart) in the commencing students application it says "The application form is currently closed and will reopen on Monday 1 February 2016" So today is that date, and i was wondering where the application was? Is it in wes or something?
Thanks in advance  8)

michelle157

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies' College
« Reply #323 on: February 02, 2016, 12:05:30 am »
Hey,

Where can I buy second hand textbooks? I would rather spend less on a older textbook than fork out a huge sum for new ones. Thanks

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2016, 09:55:53 am »
Hey,

Where can I buy second hand textbooks? I would rather spend less on a older textbook than fork out a huge sum for new ones. Thanks

Hi Michelle,

On your my.monash portal you will find a link to Monash Marketplace. It should be under the title 'Quick links' on the left hand side of the home page. Monash Marketplace allows you to buy and sell second-hand books. I've used it before, and it worked quite well.

(That aside, you could try the (unofficial, i.e. just student-run) 'Monash SellYourSpace' Facebook page. But I would personally recommend Monash Marketplace to begin with!)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2016, 01:17:31 pm »
Hey,

Just to add to what Joseph41 has already said, you could try Gumtree and StudentVip as well. You get students from other universities that may sell the same textbook.
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2016, 12:51:13 pm »
+1
I want to apply for the Monash Unistart scholarship, and in the page of this scholarship (http://www.study.monash/fees-scholarships/scholarships/find/equity-scholarships/unistart) in the commencing students application it says "The application form is currently closed and will reopen on Monday 1 February 2016" So today is that date, and i was wondering where the application was? Is it in wes or something?
Thanks in advance  8)
Hi Darth_Pepe, you should now be able to make an application for the Monash Unistart scholarship here.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

Darth_Pepe

« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »
Hi Darth_Pepe, you should now be able to make an application for the Monash Unistart scholarship here.

Hi i am not able to apply for that for some reason. I ticked the box for yes i do qualify under financial difficulty in the section where it asks you what you want to apply for. And when i get to part 7/7, it says to select the scholarships you are eligible for and can apply for. And there are none there. Is there a scholarship phone number i can call about this?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2016, 01:11:36 pm »
Hi i am not able to apply for that for some reason. I ticked the box for yes i do qualify under financial difficulty in the section where it asks you what you want to apply for. And when i get to part 7/7, it says to select the scholarships you are eligible for and can apply for. And there are none there. Is there a scholarship phone number i can call about this?

I have no idea if this is accurate, and I'm sure that Ask Monash University will clarify, but I had a similar issue when I was applying for an Honours scholarship late last year. Because I had started the application earlier than it opened (or something, I'm not sure), the scholarship wasn't listed in those that I was eligible for.

I contacted the Coursework Scholarships Unit on (I think) 1800 666 274, and they fixed it up for me.

EDIT: Actually, I was overseas at the time, so I called the relevant number. But I think the one above is the one you might want.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

thaaanyan

« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2016, 03:00:07 pm »
Hey there,
I was wondering if it's possible to major in a business field if i'm taking an arts course?? Like, Arts - majoring in Management or something??
Thank-you!!