Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:55:31 pm

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 336388 times)  Share 

SlothPlays

Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »
You need to look at this website. In fact, part C clearly states you can use the units from that section to get a second major. It looks like you can get 3, tbh, but you'd have to ask a course advisor to make sure.

Awesome some more further questions. When do i plan my semester and the units i can do? If i wanna major in Criminology and Psychology. Do i do both the level 1 gateway units for both majors in semester 1? Or do i do 1 per semester in the first year? Whats the most common thing to do. I ask you but i also ask the arts boss joseph  8)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2015, 04:14:36 pm »
+3
As an example of an Arts degree with two majors, here is my set-up:

Major 1: Linguistics
First year units: ATS1338, ATS1339
Second year units: ATS2667, ATS2676, ATS2683
Third year units: ATS3679, ATS3681, ATS3673

Major 2: International Studies
First year units: ATS1325, ATS1326
Second year units: ATS2637, ATS2640,
Third year units: ATS3639, ATS3872, ATS3627, ATS3630

***You will note that for Linguistics I had three second year units and three third year units, whilst there was a two/four split for International Studies. This is okay, because there is an option (you will see this on the course map) for one of the units to be taken at second or third year level.***

First year Arts sequence: Human rights theory
First year units: ATS1314, ATS1315

Extra Arts units, any year level:
First year units: PSY1011, PSY1022

Electives:
First year units: AMU1311, ATS1371
Other units: AMU2450, AMU2906

Awesome some more further questions. When do i plan my semester and the units i can do? If i wanna major in Criminology and Psychology. Do i do both the level 1 gateway units for both majors in semester 1? Or do i do 1 per semester in the first year? Whats the most common thing to do. I ask you but i also ask the arts boss joseph  8)

If you want to major in both Criminology and Psychology, I would take ATS1281 (I think this is first year Crim?) and PSY1011 (first year Psych) in your first semester.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:16:49 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

SlothPlays

« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »
As an example of an Arts degree with two majors, here is my set-up:

Major 1: Linguistics
First year units: ATS1338, ATS1339
Second year units: ATS2667, ATS2676, ATS2683
Third year units: ATS3679, ATS3681, ATS3673

Major 2: International Studies
First year units: ATS1325, ATS1326
Second year units: ATS2637, ATS2640,
Third year units: ATS3639, ATS3872, ATS3627, ATS3630

***You will note that for Linguistics I had three second year units and three third year units, whilst there was a two/four split for International Studies. This is okay, because there is an option (you will see this on the course map) for one of the units to be taken at second or third year level.***

First year Arts sequence: Human rights theory
First year units: ATS1314, ATS1315

Extra Arts units, any year level:
First year units: PSY1011, PSY1022

Electives:
First year units: AMU1311, ATS1371
Other units: AMU2450, AMU2906

If you want to major in both Criminology and Psychology, I would take ATS1281 (I think this is first year Crim?) and PSY1011 (first year Psych) in your first semester.

Awesome

Now if i just want to major in Criminology how would my outline look like? By the way i would like to transfer to Arts/Law which is my dream course. How would my degree look like if i switch next year? At this moment i want to major in just Criminology.

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2015, 11:12:22 pm »
Awesome

Now if i just want to major in Criminology how would my outline look like? By the way i would like to transfer to Arts/Law which is my dream course. How would my degree look like if i switch next year? At this moment i want to major in just Criminology.

Look at the monash handbook, it's all there and tells you what you need to know.
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/aos/criminology/ug-arts-criminology.html
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

chabooski

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2015, 01:50:44 pm »
Hi there,

If you've been offered a position as an AMA, do you need a working with children check?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2015, 01:54:02 pm »
+1
Hi there,

If you've been offered a position as an AMA, do you need a working with children check?
AFAIK, yes, you do. However, even if you don't, a volunteer WWC is free and lasts for 5 years, so it's not like you'll lose much. ;)

chabooski

• Adventurer
« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2015, 02:17:03 pm »
AFAIK, yes, you do. However, even if you don't, a volunteer WWC is free and lasts for 5 years, so it's not like you'll lose much. ;)

Great, thanks for that! :)

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #202 on: December 31, 2015, 03:20:52 pm »
My transfer application got rejected. Is there anything I can do about this ?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2015, 03:51:56 pm »
Do scholarship offers come with course offers?

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2015, 06:17:34 pm »
+2
Do scholarship offers come with course offers?
It depends on the scholarship. Have a look here and if you see any scholarships you're looking out for which says 'in progress', it'll mean that scholarship offers have been made for that specific scholarship. Once offers come out (as well as scholarship acceptance deadline in a week's time), some people may not necessarily be eligible for certain scholarships (E.g Receiving a conditional scholarship offer for Engineering Excellence Award but not doing Engineering) so those scholarships will be passed onto those next eligible until they have all been "offered" which indicates that all offers have been made and accepted.

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2016, 01:00:26 am »
+1
It depends on the scholarship. Have a look here and if you see any scholarships you're looking out for which says 'in progress', it'll mean that scholarship offers have been made for that specific scholarship. Once offers come out (as well as scholarship acceptance deadline in a week's time), some people may not necessarily be eligible for certain scholarships (E.g Receiving a conditional scholarship offer for Engineering Excellence Award but not doing Engineering) so those scholarships will be passed onto those next eligible until they have all been "offered" which indicates that all offers have been made and accepted.

Sweet ty

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #206 on: January 01, 2016, 01:56:07 am »
Well here's the list of all arts units offered at monash: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2016handbooks/units/index-byfaculty-arts.html

Maybe something there will jog your memory. I haven't personally done any units that felt especially law-y, but I have a mate who majored in criminology before moving to arts/law who said that FoL was ez pz for him because of his experience doing crim. I can't comment on the validity of that claim, but I believe he wound up with a final mark of 90+.

Fol is pretty basic intro stuff so having a basic background of the legal system helps a lot.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

chabooski

• Adventurer
« Reply #207 on: January 01, 2016, 05:48:35 pm »
Starting first year at uni this year and would like to get a casual or part time job this year. Planning on doing Law/Commerce and I'm wondering if it'll be too much for me? I've never had a job before so don't know how much of a load it'd be for me - I'd imagine it'd be tough but is it worth it or am I better off just focusing on studies?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #208 on: January 01, 2016, 06:20:46 pm »
Starting first year at uni this year and would like to get a casual or part time job this year. Planning on doing Law/Commerce and I'm wondering if it'll be too much for me? I've never had a job before so don't know how much of a load it'd be for me - I'd imagine it'd be tough but is it worth it or am I better off just focusing on studies?
Definitely possible - just take it slow to start with, take less shifts if you need to. After a semester, if you think you can handle the pressure, feel free to take more shifts.

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2016, 06:26:24 pm »

You should be fine as long you don't work a crazy amount of shifts. I would recommend though that you work throughout the summer holidays if it means you can work less during university.