Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:41:36 am

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 340065 times)  Share 

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
  • She believed she could, so she did.
  • Respect: +7
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #870 on: April 10, 2018, 09:35:53 pm »
Hello Monash Team!

I am a Monash enthusiast, that have fallen in love with the Clayton campus and the university's sociocultural and environmental values that have prompted movements created within the campus such as '#Changeit' catching my attention. I am a rural student from NSW and was wondering that student's like myself receive 5 bonus points (due to the disadvantage of not gaining or having access to other resources that urban students are able to do so) will be accounted for if I apply through VTAC, as I live interstate?
P.S I'm looking at partaking in Engineering/Commerce as a double degree.

Thank you,
Ange  ;D

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #871 on: April 13, 2018, 11:03:17 am »
+1
Hello Monash Team!

I am a Monash enthusiast, that have fallen in love with the Clayton campus and the university's sociocultural and environmental values that have prompted movements created within the campus such as '#Changeit' catching my attention. I am a rural student from NSW and was wondering that student's like myself receive 5 bonus points (due to the disadvantage of not gaining or having access to other resources that urban students are able to do so) will be accounted for if I apply through VTAC, as I live interstate?
P.S I'm looking at partaking in Engineering/Commerce as a double degree.

Thank you,
Ange  ;D

Hi Ange,

It’s great to hear that you share similar views with us at Monash!

If you are residing in rural NSW or you feel that you may have been disadvantaged, you are highly encouraged to submit a ‘Special Entry Access Scheme’ (SEAS) application through VTAC along with your course application. SEAS adjusts your ATAR in recognition of circumstances that may have affected your education. This gives you a better chance of getting an offer for the course you want.

You are welcome to use the SEAS Estimate Calculator (http://www.monash.edu/study/how-to-apply/entry-schemes/seas-calculator) and see where your adjusted ATAR may sit after filling in your personal details.

Good luck with your studies!

All the best,
Monash University
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

winhx

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #872 on: May 07, 2018, 10:14:36 am »
Hey monash,

Looking to study a bachelor of science at monash. Am however, having difficulty deciding on a major for if i were to get accepted. Just wondering what the process is with changing major during your study incase I change my mind mid year or something.

Thanks.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #873 on: May 07, 2018, 12:51:06 pm »
Hey monash,

Looking to study a bachelor of science at monash. Am however, having difficulty deciding on a major for if i were to get accepted. Just wondering what the process is with changing major during your study incase I change my mind mid year or something.

Thanks.
Not entirely sure if this is the case Monash-wide, but with my faculty (pharm&pharmsci), I chose my major by choosing the units corresponding to the major in the web enrolment system (WES). To change my major, all I'd need to do is login to WES and change the units I currently have for a major to the units I want for another major. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #874 on: May 07, 2018, 06:38:16 pm »
+1
Hey monash,

Thanks.
Not entirely sure if this is the case Monash-wide, but with my faculty (pharm&pharmsci), I chose my major by choosing the units corresponding to the major in the web enrolment system (WES). To change my major, all I'd need to do is login to WES and change the units I currently have for a major to the units I want for another major. :)
Insanipi is right. In the BSci, your only compulsory units are SCI2010/ SCI2015 and a Level 1 maths/ stats unit. I finished my Bachelor of Science (without Honours) at the end of last year. Actually, there was a post or two on here discussing whether I should change. I chose my major at the end of first year by selecting the units I wanted. The end of first year is usually the crucial turning point in which you decide your major. On occasion, you'll have more time to choose your major (i.e. a second turning point at the end of second year, usually), but this will depend on the units you've taken. For example, I chose a pair of genetics units and another pair of molecular biology units. These are the prerequisites for two majors: biochemistry and genetics. (I chose to do an extended major in genetics in the end.) Note that this option is only applicable in some circumstances, not all, so choose your second year units wisely and ask Science Student Services for help, where necessary.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

aisial25

• Adventurer
« Reply #875 on: June 05, 2018, 12:46:19 am »
I was wondering if I am able to transfer to a course which I could have done at the beginning of the year (meeting the prerequisites with the ATAR required, for Monash guaranteed tho). I am a first year student and I was wondering if there were to be a case of falling below the WAM required to transfer, will they consider me since I was able to do the course in the beginning of the year?

Thank you.

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #876 on: June 07, 2018, 11:00:49 am »
+1
I was wondering if I am able to transfer to a course which I could have done at the beginning of the year (meeting the prerequisites with the ATAR required, for Monash guaranteed tho). I am a first year student and I was wondering if there were to be a case of falling below the WAM required to transfer, will they consider me since I was able to do the course in the beginning of the year?

Thank you.

Hi,
Since you have commenced tertiary studies at Monash, you will need apply for an internal course transfer into your course of interest. You will need to contact your faculty directly regarding the transfer requirements. Generally speaking, your entire academic record will be taken into consideration when assessing your eligibility for admission into your destination degree.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
SR
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

winhx

• Adventurer
« Reply #877 on: June 26, 2018, 08:16:37 am »
Hey monash,

I've heard people say that in most science degrees the first year is really general and where you 'experiment with majors' whilst the 2nd and 3rd year are where you actually start your major.

Is this considered to be generally true for monash's bachelor of science?

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #878 on: June 26, 2018, 08:52:14 am »
Hey monash,

I've heard people say that in most science degrees the first year is really general and where you 'experiment with majors' whilst the 2nd and 3rd year are where you actually start your major.

Is this considered to be generally true for monash's bachelor of science?

Yes - in your first year, you are required to complete units (subjects) from at least two different areas of study. For example, I did chemistry and mathematics. The second/third year units usually require the relevant first year units as prerequisites.

Hope that helps :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #879 on: July 03, 2018, 02:23:58 pm »
+2
[1] Can I do MBBS after a double degree [Bachelor of Engineering and Biomedical Science]?
Monash no longer offers the MBBS, which has been replaced by the MD (in general, they both qualify you to become a doctor). To answer your question - you cannot complete the MD at Monash via the undergraduate pathway if you have already begun tertiary study. However, your (Monash) Biomedical Science degree will allow you to apply for the graduate pathway (75 places).

[2] Does completing a double degree [Bachelor of Engineering and Biomedical Science] allow me to enter medical school and complete a M.D. degree and then [MAYBE] specialize to become a neurologist or a neurosurgeon?
Yes. In fact, in general you do not specifically require either degree to enter medical school in Australia, although Biomedical Science (at Monash) will allow you to apply for the graduate pathway into MD at Monash.

[3] Can I work as a starter engineer at a company while studying M.D. after school time?
I guess you could, but you probably wouldn't want to, given that you'll also have to balance the workload of studying medicine.

[4] Is it better to spend residency time here in Australia or outside the country?
I don't really have the knowledge to answer this, but hopefully someone else can.

VCE 2015-16

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #880 on: July 03, 2018, 03:30:09 pm »
+1
Thanks for the answers, now for this part I'm still in high school so I don't think I started my tertiary study and from what I understand to become a MD Doctor I need to have a Master's degree to study MD in Monnash, so I can do Master of Surgery and then start studying MD? and is there anyway to study MD with the undergraduate path if I'm still not in my tertiary study?Thanks.

You do not need a Masters degree to apply for the MD graduate pathway at Monash, only one of a Monash Bachelor degree in: Biomedical Science (75 places); Science with certain subjects, Physiotherapy or Pharmacy (25 places). You can find more info about this here.

Yes, you can apply for the direct (undergraduate) entry MD at Monash (~240 places) if you have not yet started any tertiary study (i.e. after you have finished year 12). Entry is based on the UMAT, an interview, and your ATAR, and you apply via VTAC during year 12. You can find more info here.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:32:18 pm by VanillaRice »
VCE 2015-16

Kerry2010

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: university high school
« Reply #881 on: July 09, 2018, 01:42:16 pm »
I've applied for internal course transfer , any idea how long until we find out if we're successful?
Thanks

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #882 on: July 09, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »
I've applied for internal course transfer , any idea how long until we find out if we're successful?
Thanks

Should be very soon! I received my mid-year transfer offer the same day as results last year.
VCE 2015-16

ar2320

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #883 on: July 09, 2018, 03:00:02 pm »
Has anyone received an email for their internal course transfer about whether they are successful or not?

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #884 on: July 09, 2018, 05:56:38 pm »
Just out of interest:

On the handbook entry for the school-leaver BMedSc/MD, it says the degree is accredited by the Australian Medical Council, Malaysian Medical Council and Singapore Medical Council.
On the international admission requirements page, it says the course at the Malaysian campus is accredited by the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC), the Australian Medical Council (AMC), the Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC), the Medical Council of Thailand and the Medical Council of Mauritius (MCM).

Why is one accredited by Singapore and not the other? Does the course at the Clayton campus also receive accreditation in Sri Lanka, Thailand and Mauritius?

Thanks
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?