Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:44:01 am

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 336339 times)  Share 

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #810 on: January 09, 2018, 04:13:58 pm »
Hello Monash! :)

Could I just ask what do you mean you say in your reports the "lowest ATAR" to get into Monash law was 92?
Does that mean that person/people could go straight into for e.g. arts/law without going into Arts first and then transfer to Law? (because they didn't meet the 98 atar requirement?)
Also, if you receive for e.g. a 97 atar, would you not be guaranteed a place into Arts/Law? Would you have to transfer later?

Thanks a lot!! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

beverlycheeeee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #811 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:24 pm »
Hi just curious about like transferring into monash from another uni- because I want to get into nutrition and I don't have enough ATAR for direct entry my initial plan was to
1) do a health science degree in monash caufield then transfer to nutrition science ;
but after comparing the course map for two courses, they are kind of different and I'm missing out alot of chemistry / science foundation courses in health science? so I don't think I can do this course?
but I put Swinburne's health science/business in my course preferences, so I was thinking about doing that, then transfer to monash-
I'm not sure about the health sciences in monash and stuff, but I can see Swinburne provides like a better structure for their students-
What should I do, and like how do you transfer from swinburne to monash :,) I was thinking of transferring during my second year,,

plz help
ps: idk how to tell my dad about swinburne- he's already hating on monash caufield 

thanks in advance

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #812 on: January 12, 2018, 03:10:31 pm »
+2
Hello Monash! :)

Could I just ask what do you mean you say in your reports the "lowest ATAR" to get into Monash law was 92?
Does that mean that person/people could go straight into for e.g. arts/law without going into Arts first and then transfer to Law? (because they didn't meet the 98 atar requirement?)
Also, if you receive for e.g. a 97 atar, would you not be guaranteed a place into Arts/Law? Would you have to transfer later?

Thanks a lot!! :)

Hi MissSmiley,

On the Monash Find a course website, you may have noticed three different ATARs shown.

The ‘lowest ATAR to which an offer was made’ takes into consideration the lowest raw/unadjusted ATAR of any Year 12 student offered a place in 2017. Applicants may have submitted a SEAS application and received SEAS bonuses based on their circumstance, and/or received additional points through Subject Bonus. A maximum adjustment that may be used at Monash is 10 ATAR points or 20 aggregate points (whichever is lower).

In the example for the Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts double degree, the applicant received an offer with a raw ATAR of 92.80 (aggregate score ~165.95). They may have received the maximum bonus 20 aggregate points based on their personal circumstance. When we convert this according to the 2017 aggregate-ATAR conversion table, the adjusted ATAR is approximately 98.05, meeting the clearly-in ATAR (98.00) for the course. Thus, this student was offered a place in the double degree.

In other words, if you achieved an ATAR of 97.00, there could be a possibility for you to receive an offer if your adjusted ATAR (after applying SEAS bonus and subject bonus) is pushed above the 2018 clearly-in ATAR (TBC). If you do not receive an offer for this course, you may investigate alternative pathways into the course, such as completing one year full time of the Bachelor of Arts, then converting this into the double degree of Laws (Honours)/Arts through an internal course transfer.

If you've got any specific questions regarding this, please contact us directly.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #813 on: January 16, 2018, 02:44:30 pm »
Hi Monash U!

Just wanted to ask - what is the WAM or result standard you need to maintain to transfer into a course like Physiotherapy? Is this standard difficult to maintain? And also how many spots are there available for transfer?

Thanks in advance!

ZAZ

• Adventurer
  • School: Doncaster Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #814 on: January 17, 2018, 09:11:09 am »
Hi Monash,
I got offered the Arts/Science double degree, and have a question about the science part.

I would like to complete a major in immunology or pathology, however after taken into account of the compulsary math unit and the SCI2010 as well as DEV2011, DEV2022, BCH2011, PHY2011(and PHY2032/PHY2042)(I got these subjects from the gemsat med prerequisite checker), there are not enough space for me to do neither of the majors.

Looking forward to hear your response,thanks in advance.

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #815 on: January 17, 2018, 09:50:22 am »
+2
Hi Monash,
I got offered the Arts/Science double degree, and have a question about the science part.

I would like to complete a major in immunology or pathology, however after taken into account of the compulsary math unit and the SCI2010 as well as DEV2011, DEV2022, BCH2011, PHY2011(and PHY2032/PHY2042)(I got these subjects from the gemsat med prerequisite checker), there are not enough space for me to do neither of the majors.

Looking forward to hear your response,thanks in advance.
Hi ZAZ,
Unfortunately it seems that you will be lacking 1 unit to fulfill all the requirements you have listed.

I can see two possible options:
1) Consider changing your major to either physiology, biochemistry or developmental biology/anatomy. Who knows, after first year biology, you may like them more.

2) You can apply to complete an extra single unit outside of your degree. This unit will not count towards your degree (including your WAM/GPA). It will also not be covered under your CSP (if applicable) i.e. It may cost more than a unit inside your degree. Are you referring to the medicine requirements for the University of Melbourne? If so, they have a program dedicated to this called the Community Access Program. Monash also allows you to apply for single units.

Hope this helps :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

ZAZ

• Adventurer
  • School: Doncaster Secondary College
« Reply #816 on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:43 am »
+1
Hi VanillaRice,
Thanks for your suggestions, they are a great help :)
I still would like to have a major in immunology or pathology though and would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem as I doubt this only is the case for me.
Thanks in advance.

HubHub

• Adventurer
« Reply #817 on: January 17, 2018, 05:10:58 pm »
Hi Guys,

Based on your experiences, what electives do you think would be most beneficial if you were trying to get into Post-Grad Med either at Monash or Melbourne? I've been having such a hard time picking electives and don't know for certain which ones I NEED to do to complete the Gamsat or which ones I can actually do as an undergrad (so many require prerequisites ). Thank you so much!

yogabagaba

• Adventurer
« Reply #818 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:21 pm »
Hi....
I have just graduated school and as you know offers came out yesterday. I got my offer at RMIT which was my third preference. I want my first preference, I have all the prerequisites but I am 0.05 off from the clearly-inn ATAR. Will I get it in my second round? And yea it is a Monash course

Plzz let me know

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #819 on: January 17, 2018, 06:57:11 pm »
+3
Hi VanillaRice,
Thanks for your suggestions, they are a great help :)
I still would like to have a major in immunology or pathology though and would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem as I doubt this only is the case for me.
Thanks in advance.

The problem that you have is that your free electives are taken up by your Arts studies. Usually, single degree Science students would be able to do something like you've suggested, as they're able to use their free electives. It's not really possible to bend the rules around the requirements for your degree to give you an extra unit, as from personal experience the requirements are quite strict.

Your best avenue for advice is from the Science faculty themselves. They have free course advisers available at the Science Student Services, who understand your course requirements, and can try to help you navigate around this problem.

Good luck :)

Hi Guys,

Based on your experiences, what electives do you think would be most beneficial if you were trying to get into Post-Grad Med either at Monash or Melbourne? I've been having such a hard time picking electives and don't know for certain which ones I NEED to do to complete the Gamsat or which ones I can actually do as an undergrad (so many require prerequisites ). Thank you so much!
Hi HubHub,
What degree are you doing? Some of what you're wishing to study may already be included in your course.

There aren't any essential prerequisites for the GAMSAT. However, a first year level biology/chemistry, and year 12 physics knowledge is recommended. As such, you might like to consider CHM1011/1022 for chemistry, BIO1011/1022 for biology, and/or PHS1080 for physics.

You can check the prerequisites for the MD at The University of Melbourne here. Again, which units you should choose will depend on your course.

You can check the prerequisites for the MD at Monash University here.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:09:42 pm by VanillaRice »
VCE 2015-16

motivated99

• Trailblazer
  • School: hello
« Reply #820 on: January 21, 2018, 01:23:46 pm »
Hey, I'm doing my first year of bach of science at monash this year and I have a few questions. I want to major in psychology so the 3 science subjects I chose were psychology, biology and chemistry. I was wondering whether I will have a lot on my plate since it seems pretty full on, especially chemistry which I don't want to study but I'm going to do it since it opens up the idea of selecting different majors. Also, I need to choose one elective, preferably in the science faculty but I'm really overwhelmed as to what to choose. Could anyone give me a suggestion of an elective which can link to psychology? Thanks in advance.

Sam M

• Forum Regular
  • :)
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #821 on: January 21, 2018, 03:02:13 pm »
Hi, I'm doing a bachelor of arts and science and am currently choosing my units. I've heard that a maths unit is compulsory in first year, but is this true? Does this mean that if I want to keep my units balanced for my two degrees I have 3 units left to choose from for science? if this is the case, does choosing a biology sequence and another unit keep my options open?
Thanks.
2016: Psychology
2017: English [49], Literature, Methods, Biology, Revolutions [50].
Atar: 98.85

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #822 on: January 21, 2018, 04:32:34 pm »
+1
Hi, I'm doing a bachelor of arts and science and am currently choosing my units. I've heard that a maths unit is compulsory in first year, but is this true? Does this mean that if I want to keep my units balanced for my two degrees I have 3 units left to choose from for science? if this is the case, does choosing a biology sequence and another unit keep my options open?
Thanks.
Hi Sam M,
It is indeed true that you need to do a level 1 maths unit at some point in your degree (most students opt to do it in first year). This maths unit can either be a part of a level 1 sequence, or on its own. For double degree Science students, you must complete a total of 5 level 1 units. On top of your Biology sequence, you must also complete another sequence, as well as a maths unit (if this isn't already done part of the sequence). What sequence you choose really depends on what types of majors you're interested in. You can find more info on the course handbook page for Science.

VCE 2015-16

Sam M

• Forum Regular
  • :)
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #823 on: January 21, 2018, 05:41:28 pm »
+1
Hi Sam M,
It is indeed true that you need to do a level 1 maths unit at some point in your degree (most students opt to do it in first year). This maths unit can either be a part of a level 1 sequence, or on its own. For double degree Science students, you must complete a total of 5 level 1 units. On top of your Biology sequence, you must also complete another sequence, as well as a maths unit (if this isn't already done part of the sequence). What sequence you choose really depends on what types of majors you're interested in. You can find more info on the course handbook page for Science.

Thanks so much for the very helpful response.
However I'm still a little confused about having to do 5 level 1 units for science. If I do this, that will be 30 credit points for science and then 24 for arts. I read somewhere that it is recommended to do units worth 48 credit points. Is it alright to do 54 points worth? Btw sorry if any of this is pretty obvious stuff.
Also, if you know, does the compulsory 5 level 1 units also apply to arts as part of a double degree? Thanks again.
2016: Psychology
2017: English [49], Literature, Methods, Biology, Revolutions [50].
Atar: 98.85

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #824 on: January 21, 2018, 05:56:28 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for the very helpful response.
However I'm still a little confused about having to do 5 level 1 units for science. If I do this, that will be 30 credit points for science and then 24 for arts. I read somewhere that it is recommended to do units worth 48 credit points. Is it alright to do 54 points worth? Btw sorry if any of this is pretty obvious stuff.
Also, if you know, does the compulsory 5 level 1 units also apply to arts as part of a double degree? Thanks again.
Apologies, I should have specified that it refers to completing 30 credit points of level 1 Science units completed at some point in your degree. In most cases, these will be completed as early as possible (e.g. at least one level 1 sequence will be required to begin your major). For the Science/Arts double degree, it is recommended to complete 12 credit points in science, and 12 in arts per semester (as per your course map). This means you'll only be able to do 24 credit points of level 1 Science units in first year, and will have 6 credit points of level 1 units left to do at some other point (usually second year).

These requirements apply to the Science portion of your degree only. Each degree has its own requirements, so you can check out the ones for Arts here. Also check out the handbook entry for your double degree
to see which Parts you need to complete (i.e. you don't do the free electives that a single degree Arts student would).

Starting uni can be both exciting and confusing, so don't worry if you have heaps of questions (I certainly did)! :)
VCE 2015-16