Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:11:20 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469817 times)  Share 

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #870 on: October 31, 2017, 11:03:10 am »
For the sources of stress (daily pressures, life events etc) do you think we would be required to know precise definitions to explain them or if we have an understanding of what they are would that be sufficient?
for instance in a question that mentioned major stressors would i be required to state that they are 'an event that is extraordinarily stressful or disturbing for everyone who experiences it' or are there other ways of achieving the marks?

thank you

• Forum Regular
« Reply #871 on: October 31, 2017, 11:14:31 am »
another question sorry in the GAS in resistance, the parasympathetic nervous system is predominant
I understand the sympathetic response doesn't last long but I dont really get why the parasympathetic is predominant if the stressor is still present

also an old vcaa exam required an explanation of the role of the sympathetic NS in the exhasution stage and it said as the stressor is still present the sympathetic NS would be activated
SO does this mean that the sympathetic NS is still mildly activated throughout the whole GAS? But I dont understand how this would work if only one division of the ANS can be dominant at one time?

thanks

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #872 on: October 31, 2017, 01:20:53 pm »
Hello,
Are we required to know about polysynaptic and monosynaptic reflexes?
Thank you

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #873 on: October 31, 2017, 01:45:42 pm »
Are we required to know about polysynaptic and monosynaptic reflexes?
Well, considering I've never heard of till now, I'm gonna say no.

Also guys, can someone give me like a concrete definition for each stage of observational learning with an example, I keep screwing that up.
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

• Forum Regular
« Reply #874 on: October 31, 2017, 01:51:57 pm »
+2
Attention - the learner must be paying attention to the observed behaviour and must be actively watching
retention - learner makes a mental representation of what they have observed and retains this
reproduction - observer must be physically and intellectually capable of converting mental representation into action
motivation - observer must have motivation to perform the behaviour
(note - must say perform not learn)
Reinforcement - a behaviour is more likely to be performed again when is reinforced

things in bold - must say to get the mark according to vcaa

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #875 on: October 31, 2017, 02:14:09 pm »
Attention - the learner must be paying attention to the observed behaviour and must be actively watching
retention - learner makes a mental representation of what they have observed and retains this
reproduction - observer must be physically and intellectually capable of converting mental representation into action
Reinforcement - a behaviour is more likely to be performed again when is reinforced

things in bold - must say to get the mark according to vcaa

I was aware of mental representation, but not he other 2! Thanks soooooo much for this, you're a legend!
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

Frantic Zealot

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #876 on: October 31, 2017, 03:00:36 pm »
Hey!

I just completed a practice exam and there was a reoccurring supposed error that I made around the same based question in both the multi-choice and short answer.

Do people who use serial recall immediately after the words were read out have only the primacy effect? I thought it was both recency and primacy effect. There was the word "slowly" used but I didn't think that would've effected the recency effect.

Thanks!

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #877 on: October 31, 2017, 03:12:55 pm »
Hey!

I just completed a practice exam and there was a reoccurring supposed error that I made around the same based question in both the multi-choice and short answer.

Do people who use serial recall immediately after the words were read out have only the primacy effect? I thought it was both recency and primacy effect. There was the word "slowly" used but I didn't think that would've effected the recency effect.

Thanks!

The serial position effect shows that free recall is better for items at the beginning and end of the list, however with serial recall, because it involves reproducing the information in the exact order it was read out, we tend to recall only the items at the beginning of the list (primacy effect) because the capacity of the STM is exceeded once we progress through the list. Therefore, due to constant rehearsal of items at the beginning of the list and the displacement of items in STM as we progress through the list, only the primacy effect is present.

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #878 on: October 31, 2017, 03:35:03 pm »
How can the behaviour/response be involuntary in operant conditioning?

• Forum Regular
« Reply #879 on: October 31, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »
Have inferential statistics been taken off the course?

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #880 on: October 31, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »

pretty sure they can't, involuntary learning is only in classical conditioning right?

THANK YOU OMG
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #881 on: October 31, 2017, 04:01:42 pm »
+1
Have inferential statistics been taken off the course?
Yes, you do NOT need to know p-values

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #882 on: October 31, 2017, 04:25:52 pm »
pretty sure they can't, involuntary learning is only in classical conditioning right?

Yeah, that's what I thought too but recently I've come across some questions about comparing the nature of the responses in OC and CC, and the answers have said (this is from a few different companies) that the response in OC can be both voluntary and involuntary!

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #883 on: October 31, 2017, 05:05:36 pm »
+1

There can be some aspects that are involuntary, but it's mainly voluntary. My textbook doesn't expand much further on that.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #884 on: October 31, 2017, 06:14:38 pm »
hold on, quick question, for observational learning in the 'attention stage', should they be actively watching the behaviour only or the behaviour AND the consequence??

and should reference to behaviour AND consequence be carried through when describing other stages too??