Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:09:43 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469817 times)  Share 

psychologie

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #690 on: October 14, 2017, 11:25:28 am »
this is from a neap exam and has me so confused. i thought a phobia is a type of anxiety DISORDER therefore a mental disorder, and so a mentally healthy person cannot have a phobia (hence why i picked d) but the answer is a?? explanatory notes say that a mentally healthy person can have a phobia but fear response is only evoked in the presence of a phobic stimulus and therefore causes no impairment in daily functioning.

Which of the following best describes the relationship between mental health and phobia according to the mental health continuum?
a) a fear response is only evoked in the presence of a phobic stimulus and consequently causes no impairment in daily functioning
b) the threat of a phobic stimulus causes temporary impairment in daily functioning
c) the persistent and intense fear of a phobic stimulus causes disabling impairment in daily functioning
d) a mentally healthy person cannot have a phobia

boooom

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #691 on: October 14, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
this is from a neap exam and has me so confused. i thought a phobia is a type of anxiety DISORDER therefore a mental disorder, and so a mentally healthy person cannot have a phobia (hence why i picked d) but the answer is a?? explanatory notes say that a mentally healthy person can have a phobia but fear response is only evoked in the presence of a phobic stimulus and therefore causes no impairment in daily functioning.

Which of the following best describes the relationship between mental health and phobia according to the mental health continuum?
a) a fear response is only evoked in the presence of a phobic stimulus and consequently causes no impairment in daily functioning
b) the threat of a phobic stimulus causes temporary impairment in daily functioning
c) the persistent and intense fear of a phobic stimulus causes disabling impairment in daily functioning
d) a mentally healthy person cannot have a phobia

You have to remember though, mental health acts on a continuum and is always changing. It's not a black and white thing where you're mentally healthy or not, and there's always more than one factor that contributes to your position on it.

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #692 on: October 14, 2017, 05:28:40 pm »
How does classical conditioning work during systematic desensitization? because there's no neutral stimulus?

Alright, so it involves acquisition since you associate relaxation with the phobic stimulus, and extinction since you extinguish the phobic response by exposing levels of the CS(phobic stimulus), without presenting the UCS(something unpleasant).
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

syubi

• Trailblazer
« Reply #693 on: October 14, 2017, 10:27:26 pm »
Which of the following would not be considered an aspect of stigma
A. Negative stereotypes around mental illness
B. A belief that mental illness is under the control of the sufferer
C. A belief that social support is an effective component of treatment for mental health
D. Isolation in the workplace based on colleagues knowledge of mental illness

I understand A and D is not the answer because those are components of stigma. C is the answer but I don't really understand this in relation to the question. And how B is an aspect of stigma was well.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #694 on: October 15, 2017, 07:36:08 am »
+1
Which of the following would not be considered an aspect of stigma
A. Negative stereotypes around mental illness
B. A belief that mental illness is under the control of the sufferer
C. A belief that social support is an effective component of treatment for mental health
D. Isolation in the workplace based on colleagues knowledge of mental illness

I understand A and D is not the answer because those are components of stigma. C is the answer but I don't really understand this in relation to the question. And how B is an aspect of stigma was well.

B is the idea of "just snap out of it" , "you're just being lazy" "it's just attention seeking" and "grow up". Obviously this is not supportive, and is detrimental to the perception of people with mental illness. 

C suggests the absence of a negative attitude towards people with mental illness

emmaqiu

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #695 on: October 15, 2017, 06:33:46 pm »
Is the exhaustion stage characterised by the individual being unable to get out of bed/ being physically depleted to a point where they can't function normally? Or if an individual gets a cold because of being stressed, can they be classed as being in the exhaustion stage?

boooom

• Trailblazer
« Reply #696 on: October 15, 2017, 08:49:57 pm »
Is the exhaustion stage characterised by the individual being unable to get out of bed/ being physically depleted to a point where they can't function normally? Or if an individual gets a cold because of being stressed, can they be classed as being in the exhaustion stage?

Both. What characterises exhaustion however ultimately depends on the length of time being exposed to the stressor. The longer the exposure, the more bodily resources depleted, and more suppressed the immune system (due to cortisol release).

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:26 pm »

Stress doesn't cause illness, it increases susceptibility.
In exhaustion you don't necessarily need to have such low functioning that you are bedridden. That being said, I think that your first description is better than the second

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #698 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:22 pm »
Hey!

I've been finding conflicting information about the proportion of REM to NREM that elderly people experience:

Can anyone confirm if they experience 15% REM and 80% NREM or 20% REM and 80%? (Or if it is another proportion)
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #699 on: October 16, 2017, 09:43:49 pm »
+1
Hey!

I've been finding conflicting information about the proportion of REM to NREM that elderly people experience:

Can anyone confirm if they experience 15% REM and 80% NREM or 20% REM and 80%? (Or if it is another proportion)
I seem to have confliciting information regarding this as well! My notes have that Elderly people, on average sleep for 6 hours per night, since an individuals total sleep time diminishes with age, with a proportion of 75% NREM and 20-25% REM.

I don't think there are exact firgures or proportion in terms of NREM and REM sleep, so I wouldn't stress about this too much. Perhaps you could say 75-80% NREM and 20-25% REM.
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
« Reply #700 on: October 16, 2017, 10:53:52 pm »
How are you guys gonna approach the 10-marker, I haven't started looking at it yet but not sure where to start. Does anyone have any ideas on how to start it?

My school hasn't even gone through it at all. Has anyone else's school gone through it?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #701 on: October 17, 2017, 07:16:51 am »
+2
How are you guys gonna approach the 10-marker, I haven't started looking at it yet but not sure where to start. Does anyone have any ideas on how to start it?

My school hasn't even gone through it at all. Has anyone else's school gone through it?

We've gone through it a lot.
I like to hightlight or underline key points and annotate first. Then I plan what I'll talk about for each point.  I begin with what I feel most confident they would like to see if I had difficulty in the previous step. Otherwise, I discuss in the order presented.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #702 on: October 17, 2017, 07:25:24 am »
Also, does anyone know the answer to the SAMPLE exam question 6b?? I wasn't sure how to link it to the scenario

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #703 on: October 17, 2017, 07:39:05 am »
We've gone through it a lot.
I like to hightlight or underline key points and annotate first. Then I plan what I'll talk about for each point.  I begin with what I feel most confident they would like to see if I had difficulty in the previous step. Otherwise, I discuss in the order presented.

Okay cool. Also just a few questions:
Do you think its better to write under subheadings or better not to do that?
How much do you write for the response approximately? Because I don't know how long it should be. The SAMPLE exam gives 1 and 1/2 pages so do u usually fill that up?
Also, how long do you think should be spent on it?

Thanks!!

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #704 on: October 17, 2017, 09:21:56 am »
Can someone please explain the reasons why salivation and digestion is decreased when the sympathetic nervous system is activated (fight-flight-freeze response)?

Also, when talking about the spinal reflex (reflex arc), should I mention that the brain receives the message about the pain only after the response has been initiated? Or should I not mention it, and just explain how the reflex itself occurs without input from the brain?

Thanks!