Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:01 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469679 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #645 on: September 30, 2017, 05:03:42 pm »
+4
In observational learning, how is it that the consequences are applied indirectly to the learner? If a consequence was self-reinforcement, wouldn't that directly strengthen the behaviour?

Thanks!
In observational learning various sources of motivation and reinforcement can be considered.
Vicarious conditioning may occur, through the model.
The  behaviour can also be directly reinforced when it is reproduced by the learner
Different forms of reinforcement are not mutually exclusive

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #646 on: October 01, 2017, 09:10:00 pm »
Why are simple tasks affected by partial sleep deprivation but complex tasks are not?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #647 on: October 01, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »
+2
Simple tasks are affected because you don't need much mental effort to complete them - they're habit. Complex tasks however you need lots of mental effort, meaning you have to focus on them. When your focusing you can complete them accurately. It seems kind of backwards but it actually makes sense.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #648 on: October 02, 2017, 06:51:18 am »
+4
Why are simple tasks affected by partial sleep deprivation but complex tasks are not?

Complex tasks are still affected, just not as much as simple ones. I'm not sure if we are expected to know that but I'd be careful with your wording just in case

Notarobot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #649 on: October 02, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »
Which part of the study design is tested in the 10-mark question? Is it pages 11-13, 'key science skills'?
2017: English, Psychology, Legal Studies, Further Maths, Global Politics.
2016: Business Management

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #650 on: October 02, 2017, 09:06:24 pm »
+1
Which part of the study design is tested in the 10-mark question? Is it pages 11-13, 'key science skills'?
It is as you said the "key science skills" on pg 11-13 that is tested for the 10-mark question.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

boooom

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #651 on: October 03, 2017, 09:41:14 am »

Could be anything from the study design, but there's probably going to be at least some research methods in it.

Ashyyy23

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #652 on: October 03, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »
Hi guys, just wondering whether you are familiarising yourself in-depth with the lobes of the brain? It is not explicitly mentioned in the study design so I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time?

emmaqiu

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #653 on: October 03, 2017, 03:58:21 pm »
Hi, if anyone could help me with a few questions I have, it would be greatly appreciated:

In terms of operant conditioning, can stimulus generalisation/discrimination, extinction and spontaneous recovery only occur for behaviours that have been reinforced? If not, could someone explain how to properly explain these terms for operant conditioning?

Does immune system become suppressed immediately when cortisol is released or only after prolonged cortisol release?

And should I be learning the HPA Axis, some notes have included it but it doesn't seem to be on the study design?

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #654 on: October 03, 2017, 06:00:07 pm »

And should I be learning the HPA Axis, some notes have included it but it doesn't seem to be on the study design?

You don't need to be learning about HPA Axis as it isn't on the study design.
But if your having trouble understanding the whole stress process, then it may help you understand the stress response process.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #655 on: October 03, 2017, 06:11:51 pm »
+3
Hi guys, just wondering whether you are familiarising yourself in-depth with the lobes of the brain? It is not explicitly mentioned in the study design so I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time?
You are very likely wasting your time.   It was in the previous study design, but is now only in units 1 & 2

Hi, if anyone could help me with a few questions I have, it would be greatly appreciated:

In terms of operant conditioning, can stimulus generalisation/discrimination, extinction and spontaneous recovery only occur for behaviours that have been reinforced? If not, could someone explain how to properly explain these terms for operant conditioning?

Does immune system become suppressed immediately when cortisol is released or only after prolonged cortisol release?

If I punish you everytime you say "um" you may stop saying "um" around me. But then if after a while I stop punishing you, then you will probably start saying um again.    If you dont see me for a while, but then you are around me again later, you'll probably not say "um" 
Does this help??

No, the impairment to the immune system occurs with prolonged exposure

The HPA axis stimulates cortisol release, and cortisol is on the study design

emmaqiu

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #656 on: October 03, 2017, 07:35:52 pm »
If I punish you everytime you say "um" you may stop saying "um" around me. But then if after a while I stop punishing you, then you will probably start saying um again.    If you dont see me for a while, but then you are around me again later, you'll probably not say "um" 
Does this help??

Thanks! Ok I get that, but if I'm talking about stimulus generalisation for example, my notes define it as: 'when the learned behaviour is made to another antecedent that is similar to the antecedent that was present when the behaviour was reinforced.'

But if the behaviour was punished shouldn't the definition include something like 'not producing the undesirable behaviour to an antecedent similar to the original antecedent present when behaviour was punished?'

This is the same for spontaneous recovery ('when a conditioned behavioural response is thought to have been extinguished but re-appears after a period of time, even if there is no reinforcement') and the other terms. I guess I am just having some difficulty understanding how to word the definitions and why most of the definitions only include reinforcement, not punishment?

peterjennings__

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #657 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:38 pm »
Does anybody have a list of 5-10 standard effects of partial sleep deprivation on a person's affective, behavioural and cognitive functioning?
2016: Health and Human Development (45), Physical Education  (39),
2017: Biology, Methods, Psychology, English

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #658 on: October 03, 2017, 09:28:54 pm »
When operationalising the DV do we need to mention everything involved in measuring it, including at what intervals they measure it?
Eg. If it's a self report test that is administered at set intervals of one day after, then 1month then 6 months?

Because I'm unsure whether we only mention the actual test or the time intervals too.

Thanks!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #659 on: October 04, 2017, 09:58:05 am »
+2
Thanks! Ok I get that, but if I'm talking about stimulus generalisation for example, my notes define it as: 'when the learned behaviour is made to another antecedent that is similar to the antecedent that was present when the behaviour was reinforced.'

But if the behaviour was punished shouldn't the definition include something like 'not producing the undesirable behaviour to an antecedent similar to the original antecedent present when behaviour was punished?'

This is the same for spontaneous recovery ('when a conditioned behavioural response is thought to have been extinguished but re-appears after a period of time, even if there is no reinforcement') and the other terms. I guess I am just having some difficulty understanding how to word the definitions and why most of the definitions only include reinforcement, not punishment?

I really wouldn't worry about definitions too much, they wouldn't take marks of you in the exam for writing it only in terms of reinforcement if they did ask for a definition (which in itself is unlikely). In this context you could take it to mean that the behaviour is not completing the activity, and that that behaviour is being reinforced if that helps you feel better about the definition provided but it's really not worth worrying over.

Does anybody have a list of 5-10 standard effects of partial sleep deprivation on a person's affective, behavioural and cognitive functioning?

A:
-difficulty judging others emotions
-reduced empathy
-easily irritated and short-tempered
-impaired ability to regulate own emotions
-more likely to have an inappropriate emotional response
B:
-reduced motor co-ordination
-sleep inertia
-fatigue
-impaired behaviour control
-microsleeps