Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:36:29 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469887 times)  Share 

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #585 on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:28 pm »
Can anyone please explain how "specific environmental triggers" precipitate a phobia. Basically what even are specific environmental triggers, the textbook doesn't explain them that well.

Thanks
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #586 on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:01 pm »
+2
Can anyone please explain how "specific environmental triggers" precipitate a phobia. Basically what even are specific environmental triggers, the textbook doesn't explain them that well.

Thanks

Specific environmental trigger refers to a negative experience with an object or situation which causes the development of specific phobia.
Eg, Developing a phobia of an animal after being bitten by one

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #587 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:18 pm »
+4
Specific environmental trigger refers to a negative experience with an object or situation which causes the development of specific phobia.
Eg, Developing a phobia of an animal after being bitten by one

Spot on. A traumatic experience with the phobic stimulus that 'caused' the phobia.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

syubi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #588 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:46 pm »
Just a little wording thing, but for the definition for a precipitating risk factor would you say it increases susceptibility and contribute to occurrence of a specific mental disorder? Or increase susceptibility and contribute to re-occurrence?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #589 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:17 pm »
+2
Just a little wording thing, but for the definition for a precipitating risk factor would you say it increases susceptibility and contribute to occurrence of a specific mental disorder? Or increase susceptibility and contribute to re-occurrence?
definitely occurrence

The mental health disorder does not have to have previously presented

mdon

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Parade College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #590 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:39 am »
Hi all, so for the freeze response of the fight-flight-freeze, is it sympathetic or parasympathetic NS? Obviously fight and flight are sympathetic, but I have seen conflicting opinions regarding the freeze response. Some textbooks/companies are saying sympathetic, others are saying parasympathetic and both my teacher and I aren't sure as we can somewhat see both sides. Anyone have any solutions? Thanks heaps!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #591 on: September 14, 2017, 10:49:59 am »
+1
Hi all, so for the freeze response of the fight-flight-freeze, is it sympathetic or parasympathetic NS? Obviously fight and flight are sympathetic, but I have seen conflicting opinions regarding the freeze response. Some textbooks/companies are saying sympathetic, others are saying parasympathetic and both my teacher and I aren't sure as we can somewhat see both sides. Anyone have any solutions? Thanks heaps!

Hey mdon,

Welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

I'm on my phone and honestly haven't given this much thought at all, but I'd imagine sympathetic. What would be your reasoning for parasympathetic?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mdon

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Parade College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #592 on: September 14, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »
Hey mdon,

Welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

I'm on my phone and honestly haven't given this much thought at all, but I'd imagine sympathetic. What would be your reasoning for parasympathetic?

Hey, thanks for your response. This is quoting straight out of the Nelson textbook regarding the freeze response: "However, when we are involved in life-threatening situations, such as serious accidents or violent crime, we may feel so overwhelmed and terrified by the event that we become traumatised. When this happens, we adopt the freeze response as our last attempt to survive. During the freeze response the sympathetic nervous system is suppressed and the parasympathetic nervous system is automatically activated. This stops us from attempting a fight or flight response that we feel has no chance of success. The freeze response is our most extreme defence strategy. It immobilises us by conserving our energy and directing it only to organs in the body's core we need for basic survival until the danger has passed. This is why people in a freeze state lose all power to communicate."

It goes on, but I think that's the gist of it. I've also found the companies QATs and Neap to have also said that it is the parasympathetic nervous system that is activated during the freeze response in the answers to some of their questions.

However, in saying that, the company STAV among others argue that it is the sympathetic nervous system that is activated.

So really, there are multiple reputable companies basically straight out disagreeing here, and it's left me pretty stumped. Is there any way we can know for sure?

boooom

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #593 on: September 16, 2017, 09:46:52 am »
Hey, thanks for your response. This is quoting straight out of the Nelson textbook regarding the freeze response: "However, when we are involved in life-threatening situations, such as serious accidents or violent crime, we may feel so overwhelmed and terrified by the event that we become traumatised. When this happens, we adopt the freeze response as our last attempt to survive. During the freeze response the sympathetic nervous system is suppressed and the parasympathetic nervous system is automatically activated. This stops us from attempting a fight or flight response that we feel has no chance of success. The freeze response is our most extreme defence strategy. It immobilises us by conserving our energy and directing it only to organs in the body's core we need for basic survival until the danger has passed. This is why people in a freeze state lose all power to communicate."

It goes on, but I think that's the gist of it. I've also found the companies QATs and Neap to have also said that it is the parasympathetic nervous system that is activated during the freeze response in the answers to some of their questions.

However, in saying that, the company STAV among others argue that it is the sympathetic nervous system that is activated.

So really, there are multiple reputable companies basically straight out disagreeing here, and it's left me pretty stumped. Is there any way we can know for sure?

I asked my teacher (she's a VCAA examiner) and she said that: 1) the parasympathetic is activated as it is associated with calming and relaxing effects, such as those seen in the freeze stage, and 2) if something is in a textbook, VCAA will mark it as correct (even if it really isn't).

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:51:55 am by boooom »

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #594 on: September 16, 2017, 01:15:42 pm »
hello everyone

I was jut wondering, in my textbook it says that unconscious responses are controlled by the somatic NS and the spinal cord, but in the notes I got it says they are controlled by the autonomic NS- which one is correct?

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #595 on: September 16, 2017, 01:26:39 pm »
Hey guys!
So i just did a practice exam, and I'm kind of confused about some of the answers to the multiple choice questions. Can someone please explain these to me?

1) Every morning, I let the chickens out of the henhouse where they roost overnight. As soon as they hear me coming, they begin to to scrape and peck at the door. This is likely explained by:
a) operant conditioning - opening henhouse is antecedent
b) classical condition - footsteps are conditioned stimulus
c) classical conditioning - opening door is UCS
d) operant conditioning - footsteps are antecedent
apparently the answer is D? i don't get how tho, I thought it was B.

2) Jimmy is three years old. One day when his mother took him to the supermarket, he noticed a box of Chuppa-Chups and screamed over and over “Want a lollipop; Want a lollipop!” his mother was embarrassed by the noise and gave him a Chuppa-Chup to suck – Jimmy became quiet immediately! After this had happened again, Jimmy becomes excited and yells “Want Lollipop, Want Lollipop!” whenever they approach the supermarket door and his mother gives him a
Chuppa-Chup as soon as she can.
How has conditioning influenced Jimmy's mother?
a) she has been negatively reinforced for the behaviour of giving Jimmy a lollipop.
b) she has been positively reinforced for the behaviour of giving jimmy a lollipop.
c and d are wrong so doesnt matter. I thought it was A, since giving the lollipop to Jimmy removes the negative stimulus of his screaming, increasing the likelihood of his mother performing the behaviour in the future. But apparently its B? i don't get it, pls explain.

3) Jacqui is undergoing an EEG as she attempts to solve complex puzzles. After a while she understands the problem and begins to work faster. Her EEG readings would show:
a) theta and gamma waves
b) beta and theta waves
c) theta and delta waves
d) gamma and beta waves
I circled B since she started working faster and understood the problem i didn't really get how there would be any gamma waves, she'd be more relaxed, but apparently the answer is D?

4) which of these phobias is likely to be resistent to treatment by systematic desensitisation?
a) fear of butterflies
b) fear of lifts
c) fear of failure
d) fear of snakes
i said failure bc how would you increasingly phobic approximations of failure, and you could use systematic desensitisation for snakes, but apparently the answer is D?

5) What does the term "GABA agonist" mean?
a) increases effects of GABA
b) decreases effects of GABA
c) acts as artificual GABA
d) replaces GABA
this might be more simple, but i thought GABA agonists imitate GABA, so it should be C? but apparently its A so.

THANKS GUYS
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #596 on: September 16, 2017, 02:28:27 pm »
+2
hello everyone

I was jut wondering, in my textbook it says that unconscious responses are controlled by the somatic NS and the spinal cord, but in the notes I got it says they are controlled by the autonomic NS- which one is correct?
Spinal reflex: somatic NS & spinal cord
Anything else that is involuntary: autonomic

To answer your question,  your notes are correct

@Novashock  I'm confused by some of the answers too, I strongly suspect that mistakes were made

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #597 on: September 16, 2017, 02:48:21 pm »
hey guys [again]

amendments say we need to know GABA in PD- can someone please explain the role of GABA in Parkinson's disease. I only have the role of dopamine.

Appreciated-  :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #598 on: September 16, 2017, 03:08:43 pm »
hey guys [again]

amendments say we need to know GABA in PD- can someone please explain the role of GABA in Parkinson's disease. I only have the role of dopamine.

Appreciated-  :)

Your knowledge is fine,  this year you are allowed to know either GABA or dopamines role,  and don't need both.   Future years need to know dopamines role (only)

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #599 on: September 16, 2017, 04:29:49 pm »
+1
1) Every morning, I let the chickens out of the henhouse where they roost overnight. As soon as they hear me coming, they begin to to scrape and peck at the door. This is likely explained by:
a) operant conditioning - opening henhouse is antecedent
b) classical condition - footsteps are conditioned stimulus
c) classical conditioning - opening door is UCS
d) operant conditioning - footsteps are antecedent
apparently the answer is D? i don't get how tho, I thought it was B.
For this, all I can think since the question doesn't explicitly state there is a particular naturally occurring response by the sound of you coming, such as them salivating or something, it would only make sense for it to be operant conditioning, as their response of scraping and pecking in voluntary.

2) Jimmy is three years old. One day when his mother took him to the supermarket, he noticed a box of Chuppa-Chups and screamed over and over “Want a lollipop; Want a lollipop!” his mother was embarrassed by the noise and gave him a Chuppa-Chup to suck – Jimmy became quiet immediately! After this had happened again, Jimmy becomes excited and yells “Want Lollipop, Want Lollipop!” whenever they approach the supermarket door and his mother gives him a
Chuppa-Chup as soon as she can.
How has conditioning influenced Jimmy's mother?
a) she has been negatively reinforced for the behaviour of giving Jimmy a lollipop.
b) she has been positively reinforced for the behaviour of giving jimmy a lollipop.
c and d are wrong so doesnt matter. I thought it was A, since giving the lollipop to Jimmy removes the negative stimulus of his screaming, increasing the likelihood of his mother performing the behaviour in the future. But apparently its B? i don't get it, pls explain.
For this, pretty sure the answers are wrong, as for it to be positive reinforcement, she must have had a positive stimulus added, but there has only been the removal of a negative stimulus (Jimmy crying), so it should be negative reinforcement.

3) Jacqui is undergoing an EEG as she attempts to solve complex puzzles. After a while she understands the problem and begins to work faster. Her EEG readings would show:
a) theta and gamma waves
b) beta and theta waves
c) theta and delta waves
d) gamma and beta waves
I circled B since she started working faster and understood the problem i didn't really get how there would be any gamma waves, she'd be more relaxed, but apparently the answer is D?
For this, even though we don't really need to know about gamma waves, they have the highest frequency and hence more involved in processing complex tasks and are present when doing tasks while active rather than theta waves, which are mainly present during sleep and sometimes during creative activities.

4) which of these phobias is likely to be resistent to treatment by systematic desensitisation?
a) fear of butterflies
b) fear of lifts
c) fear of failure
d) fear of snakes
i said failure bc how would you increasingly phobic approximations of failure, and you could use systematic desensitisation for snakes, but apparently the answer is D?
I think the answers for this are wrong as well.

5) What does the term "GABA agonist" mean?
a) increases effects of GABA
b) decreases effects of GABA
c) acts as artificual GABA
d) replaces GABA
this might be more simple, but i thought GABA agonists imitate GABA, so it should be C? but apparently its A so.
While you are right to an extent, a GABA agonist primarily increase inhibition of the brain by imitating GABA's inhibitory effect. However, A seems more correct since GABA agonists primarily aim to increase the inhibitory effect of GABA.

Hope that made sense!
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash