Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:00 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469690 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #540 on: August 09, 2017, 07:05:21 am »
+2
Guys, for the stages of sleep (NREM and REM), is it true that we don't need to know the brain waves and physiological responses for each stage?
The study design says that we don't but my school taught it for some reason??

If we don't need to know the brain waves for each stage and the physiological responses, then what do we actually need to know about the sleep stages?

Thanks!! :)

It was part of the old study design,  but you do NOT need to know it this year.

I can't give you a definitive answer on what we do need, but make sure you learn how the proportions  of each stage changes throughout the lifespan.  Also things like which stage someone can be most easily woken up from. 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #541 on: August 09, 2017, 09:15:21 am »
+3
Guys, for the stages of sleep (NREM and REM), is it true that we don't need to know the brain waves and physiological responses for each stage?
The study design says that we don't but my school taught it for some reason??

If we don't need to know the brain waves for each stage and the physiological responses, then what do we actually need to know about the sleep stages?

Thanks!! :)

To be honest, I don't think anybody really knows. My understanding is it's not in the study design, but schools might be teaching it briefly just in case (due to it being the first year of the new study design etc.). :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #542 on: August 09, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »
+2
Hey Butterfly girl

On the study design, it specifically states that corresponding brainwaves to each stage of sleep need not be known- so that answers your question
Regarding what you actually need to know, just what basically happens in each stage. For example, during stage 1, hypnic jerks can occur, Stage 4 NREM sleep is the deepest stages of sleep and REM sleep is characterized by a paralysis in muscles, called Atonia. Just characteristic of each stage.

I hope this helps you

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #543 on: August 13, 2017, 10:08:09 am »
+5
Hey Butterfly girl

On the study design, it specifically states that corresponding brainwaves to each stage of sleep need not be known- so that answers your question
Regarding what you actually need to know, just what basically happens in each stage. For example, during stage 1, hypnic jerks can occur, Stage 4 NREM sleep is the deepest stages of sleep and REM sleep is characterized by a paralysis in muscles, called Atonia. Just characteristic of each stage.

I hope this helps you

Personally, I don't even think that you'll need to know about things such as hypnic jerks, as the study design also specifically excludes physiological responses to each stage. It's really tough to tell what you actually need to know - definitely not brain waves. I would think simply things like duration of each stage, the amount of each stage through the lifespan and through a sleep episode, and how difficult a person is to wake (e.g. difficult during NREM stage 4, fairly easy during REM?NREM stage 1).

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #544 on: August 21, 2017, 10:03:34 pm »
What do we need to know about stimulants and depressants in regards to consciousness? My textbook is regurgitating everything, from short term effects to long term effects for over 10 different drugs. Do we need to know all that?

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #545 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:15 am »
Hello :)
With the 4P model, could certain risk factors act as more than 1P in different situations?
for instance, poor sleep is typically referred to as a precipitating risk factor but say someone already has a mental disorder, and is experiencing poor sleep (possibly due to the mental disorder), would poor sleep be a perpetuating risk factor in this case?

Thanks!

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #546 on: August 22, 2017, 06:31:55 pm »
+6
What do we need to know about stimulants and depressants in regards to consciousness? My textbook is regurgitating everything, from short term effects to long term effects for over 10 different drugs. Do we need to know all that?

Short answer - no.

In terms of stimulants and depressants, the only time they are explicitly listed on the study design is in relation to brainwaves, and the changes that they cause. (Stimulants = more beta, Depressants = more alpha, theta, delta).

In regards to consciousness, I personally don't think there's too much you need to know. For example, remember than senses will be heightened by using a stimulant and dulled by using a depressant (pretty common sense), and basic things like that.

In terms of knowing different stimulants/depressants, I would remember that caffeine, nicotine and amphetamines are a stimulant, and alcohol, benzos and opiates (e.g. heroin) are classified as depressants. However, I would expect them to tell you most of the time, unless it's something really obvious like caffeine.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #547 on: August 22, 2017, 06:33:42 pm »
+4
Hello :)
With the 4P model, could certain risk factors act as more than 1P in different situations?
for instance, poor sleep is typically referred to as a precipitating risk factor but say someone already has a mental disorder, and is experiencing poor sleep (possibly due to the mental disorder), would poor sleep be a perpetuating risk factor in this case?

Hi -273.15!

Yes, they probably could be in reality, but I would always class them in one category only if possible, just to reduce confusion, both for you and the examiners. There should be a table in the textbook that shows which category they fall in.

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #548 on: August 27, 2017, 11:54:41 am »
hey guys

I was just wondering, on the study design it says that we need to know the effects of sleep walking and sleep onset insomnia on the sleep-wake cycle.

What is meant by this?

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #549 on: August 27, 2017, 12:30:39 pm »
Hey guys, just had a question about the 4P model. I get that predisposing factors are previous factors which make an individual more likely to develop a mental illness, but what is the difference between predisposing and precipitating risk factors?
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #550 on: August 27, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
+3
hey guys

I was just wondering, on the study design it says that we need to know the effects of sleep walking and sleep onset insomnia on the sleep-wake cycle.

What is meant by this?

Good question! Basically, sleep walking doesn't have a huge effect on the sleep-wake cycle, but people may experience a reduced amount of sleep and a reduced amount of NREM 3/4 sleep if they keep waking up because they're sleep walking. Therefore, they may experience sleep deprivation and excessive sleepiness during waking hours.

Sleep-onset insomnia is a bit clearer. If people aren't able to fall asleep, they will probably have a reduced sleep time and therefore suffer from partial sleep deprivation (if they have to get up for school/work the next morning and can't sleep in). This can then result in excessive sleepiness during waking hours.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:50:31 pm by howey »

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #551 on: August 27, 2017, 12:38:33 pm »
+5
Hey guys, just had a question about the 4P model. I get that predisposing factors are previous factors which make an individual more likely to develop a mental illness, but what is the difference between predisposing and precipitating risk factors?

Great question! They are pretty similar, there is just a very subtle difference.

A predisposing risk factor increases susceptibility to a particular mental disorder. The best example of this is genetic vulnerability.

A precipitating risk factor increase susceptibility to and also contribute to the occurrence of a particular mental disorder. These factors generally occur just before the onset of a disorder - think of things like a break-up/death and substance use.

The difference is pretty small and there can be some overlap - I would suggest you memorise the table in the textbook showing the 4P factor model :)

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #552 on: August 27, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »
+2
Good question! Basically, sleep walking doesn't have a huge effect on the sleep-wake cycle, but people may experience a reduced amount of sleep and a reduced amount of NREM 3/4 sleep if they keep waking up because they're sleeping walking. Therefore, they may experience sleep deprivation and excessive sleepiness during waking hours.

Sleep-onset insomnia is a bit clearer. If people aren't able to fall asleep, they will probably have a reduced sleep time and therefore suffer from partial sleep deprivation (if they have to get up for school/work the next morning and can't sleep in). This can then result in excessive sleepiness during waking hours.

My gosh Howey, you never fail to impress

Thank you so much- it makes sense now!

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #553 on: August 27, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »
+1

Thanks a lot for that! The small difference makes sense now. :D
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #554 on: August 27, 2017, 04:27:54 pm »
Hey guys,

Just a quick question

I was just wondering when you are comparing the effects of sleep deprivation with BAC for concentration, can we say that when an individual is sleep deprived they have difficulty completing simple tasks, and finds it easy completing complex tasks, whereas an individual with a BAC of .05 finds it difficult to complete difficult tasks [such as driving  car] and simple tasks [such as walking on a line steadily]

Was just wondering because VCAA it is very vague about this dot point