Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:51:22 pm

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 362946 times)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: The Cricket Thread
« Reply #2160 on: July 31, 2020, 07:53:13 pm »
I'm actually keen for an Aus Vs England. If England keep their form and Australia play as well as they did last Ashes, man the 2021 Ashes will be as thrilling as the last.

I reckon Aus and England are the two best test teams in the world atm. India will do great at home in their flat tracks but don't think they are good enough to face Hazlewood/Starc/Cummins/Lyons nor Anderson/Broad/Archer/Stokes anywhere outside India.
I would hope AUS and ENG would win but interesting comments given the last time AUS played IND in Australia they lost quite easily with that exact same bowling lineup in Australia.

I'd say all three teams are pretty comparable with no standout team. Although historically speaking a weak era.

iam_real_don

• Adventurer
  • Main Hoon Don (I am Don)
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2161 on: July 31, 2020, 08:39:05 pm »
Well I would say the test series was thrilling especially during the pandemic, I really went for the underdogs (Windies), but all credit to England to pulling it back. but the question remains, will Broad beat Anderson's record of getting the most wickets and being crowned greats fast bowler of all time? Only time will tell, unless COVID has a say.

But I am a Dhoni fan, disappointed the T20 WC didn't get hosted (Thanks Victoria), but interested to see how Dhoni performs in the IPL at the UAE, hopefully getting another crack for glory in the blue jersey
With Great Pleasure,
(Don)

HSC 2020 ATAR - 85.65
Adv English - 88
PDHPE - 88
FT - 92
Adv Math - 78
IPT - 83

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #2162 on: July 31, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
I would hope AUS and ENG would win but interesting comments given the last time AUS played IND in Australia they lost quite easily with that exact same bowling lineup in Australia.

I'd say all three teams are pretty comparable with no standout team. Although historically speaking a weak era.
They beat a side that was morally and physically broken after what had happened with the ball tampering scandal. Batting order was really weak and unsettled as well, I remember Finch opening lmao. It's funny how much better your bowlers bowl when they have a batting order to rely upon. I'd like to see how they go against Australia now.

Well I would say the test series was thrilling especially during the pandemic, I really went for the underdogs (Windies), but all credit to England to pulling it back. but the question remains, will Broad beat Anderson's record of getting the most wickets and being crowned greats fast bowler of all time? Only time will tell, unless COVID has a say.

But I am a Dhoni fan, disappointed the T20 WC didn't get hosted (Thanks Victoria), but interested to see how Dhoni performs in the IPL at the UAE, hopefully getting another crack for glory in the blue jersey
The series was definitely quite thrilling! England seemed to have found their groove by the end of it though. They'll be a really good team if they can get it right. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:31:40 pm by Rod »
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2163 on: July 31, 2020, 10:13:36 pm »
They beat a side that was morally and physically broken after what had happened with the ball tampering scandal. Batting order was really weak and unsettled as well, I remember Finch opening lmao. It's funny how much better your bowlers bowl when they have a batting order to rely upon. I'd like to see how they go against Australia now.
Fair enough.  I would say Australia would win at home now too tbh, they have the Gabba test which IND avoided last time.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2164 on: August 01, 2020, 12:39:17 am »
Fair enough.  I would say Australia would win at home now too tbh, they have the Gabba test which IND avoided last time.
No WACA this summer against India either! Frustrating!!

The ''weak'' Australian side beat them by 146 runs last time at the WACA. Gabba has been included this year, but no WACA. Makes it so obvious of how much influence India have over how tours are set up.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:48:49 am by Rod »

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2165 on: August 01, 2020, 05:24:58 pm »
+1

I don't know if it's a weak era. It's hard to judge something when we are living through it. We have Kohli, probably the best limited overs player to ever play, we have Smith, probably the best Test batsman ever after Bradman. Pat Cummins, Rabada, Bumrah. Spin bowling is pretty weak though, although has it ever been good apart from the era of Warne and Murali?

Hard to tell. I'm not saying it's a quality era or that it isn't, but I think it's difficult to discern now.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2166 on: August 01, 2020, 05:59:44 pm »
+1
I don't know if it's a weak era. It's hard to judge something when we are living through it. We have Kohli, probably the best limited overs player to ever play, we have Smith, probably the best Test batsman ever after Bradman. Pat Cummins, Rabada, Bumrah. Spin bowling is pretty weak though, although has it ever been good apart from the era of Warne and Murali?

Hard to tell. I'm not saying it's a quality era or that it isn't, but I think it's difficult to discern now.
I disagree with the statements about the batsmen. Kohli's got the stats in random series which have little significance but won't do anything when it matters e.g. champions trophy 2017 final, 2019WC semi, etc (average in ODI world cup knockouts is something like 12). As for tests regardless of how good/bad you think Smith is having one decent bat doesn't make an era strong imo and I certainly would have a handful of batsmen between Bradman and him.

I guess there are a bunch of good bowler's but longevity and injuries are always going to be the question. Given some are relatively young it is probably worthwhile waiting on it as you said.

Anyway, I don't think an era can be judged solely on who the best players are. A comparison of average players between eras is probably a better way.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #2167 on: August 01, 2020, 09:01:08 pm »

With the exception of quarantine hotel failings, I don't think Victoria carries any blame for the current situation in Australia.  The way Covid-19 established itself in the state that at the time had the strictest restrictions shows the dangerousness of the disease, not the failings of individual Victorians when compared with individuals from other states.

Regardless, though, back in June, before this second wave, the T20 Men's World Cup was unlikely to be held in Australia.  As I understand it, Australia was even concerned about what would be required to get bi-lateral series working - ones with many teams are much harder (for that reason I still have question marks over the wisdom of running the IPL and the tennis US Open in the worst hit country, though they will probably go ahead).
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

iam_real_don

• Adventurer
  • Main Hoon Don (I am Don)
« Reply #2168 on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:25 pm »
With the exception of quarantine hotel failings, I don't think Victoria carries any blame for the current situation in Australia.  The way Covid-19 established itself in the state that at the time had the strictest restrictions shows the dangerousness of the disease, not the failings of individual Victorians when compared with individuals from other states.

Regardless, though, back in June, before this second wave, the T20 Men's World Cup was unlikely to be held in Australia.  As I understand it, Australia was even concerned about what would be required to get bi-lateral series working - ones with many teams are much harder (for that reason I still have question marks over the wisdom of running the IPL and the tennis US Open in the worst hit country, though they will probably go ahead).
Yes I agree, although I haven't heard the full story of how the individuals handled it (in Victoria) , though ICC were looking to postponed the T20 WC for next year, but it was unlikely to host it due to have 16 teams playing in a singular city (or one/two stadiums), really bilateral series is the only way to keep cricket alive during this pandemic, but I would like to see how the BCCI coordinate and manage the IPL format in the UAE. 
With Great Pleasure,
(Don)

HSC 2020 ATAR - 85.65
Adv English - 88
PDHPE - 88
FT - 92
Adv Math - 78
IPT - 83

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2169 on: December 19, 2020, 04:29:32 pm »
+2
In a "What is happening here?" moment, at 9/36 India are now in danger of recording their lowest ever Test score after having taken a 53 run first innings lead over Australia that should probably have been decisive...

EDIT: OK, sounds like Mohammed Shami has retired hurt, which does make it India's lowest Test score.  Sad to hear he's injured, and it will presumably also weaken their bowling trying to defend a mere 89.
Definitely wasn't picking this at the end of yesterday...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 04:35:59 pm by turinturambar »
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2170 on: December 24, 2020, 04:48:14 pm »
+2
Still re watching highlights pre much every single night since that day :D

Bring on Boxing Day!!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2171 on: December 24, 2020, 04:57:23 pm »
+3
Hopefully, Aus can sweep. Really don't want to see test championship points split and end up with an IND/AUS final given that fixture has been played to death at this point.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2172 on: December 29, 2020, 10:52:10 pm »
+1
Man they played brilliantly. To bounce back like that after being bowled out for 36 in the previous test, plus play without your captain and best batsman. Hats off.

Hope we finally understand little depth our batting line up has. I am doubtful that Warner and an inexperienced Pucovski will make significant difference when coming back in. Seems like if Smith or Marnus don't get a big knock, we'll lose unless the bowlers do something amazing again.

Anyway, well done India. I guess that's what happens though when you've been given the ''opportunity'' to play at the MCG so much every single year, more than any other team outside Aus :P. Haha in all seriousness they did really well!

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2173 on: December 31, 2020, 06:22:30 pm »
+1
It turns out that conceding a first innings lead and making sub-par totals with the bat isn't a consistent winning strategy.  Who knew? :P

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2174 on: January 10, 2021, 12:28:28 pm »
Don't see how AUS can continue with Wade in the top 6. It's great they realised he wasn't a test quality opener. The only way he will survive is if AUS continues to win.