Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:21 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231608 times)

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4530 on: October 13, 2019, 05:55:41 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering, if a question provides you with a stimulus and asks, "Explore this statement with reference to your prescribed text", can you still disagree with parts of the statement similar to an 'evaluate' question? Or do you need to support the statement using the prescribed text?
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

_Himani_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4531 on: October 13, 2019, 07:28:57 pm »
Hey guys
Can a conflict between two people be said to be a microcosm of a larger conflict, or does that word choice not make sense?

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4532 on: October 13, 2019, 08:40:16 pm »
Hey guys! For a Mod C deconstruction question, how should we structure our paragraphs? Do we use PEEL and if so, what would be our point specifically?

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4533 on: October 13, 2019, 10:31:50 pm »
Hey!
I just want to ask if we choose to include context, should it be placed before QTE or after it ?

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4534 on: October 14, 2019, 10:28:43 am »
Hey guys!

If a question says to assess or evaluate do you have to say how effectively the composer achieves (topic...)?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4535 on: October 14, 2019, 11:08:56 am »
+3
Hey, everyone!

Some flash round responses in lead up to the HSC exams  :) These are all fantastic questions so let's dig right in!

Hi, I was just wondering, if a question provides you with a stimulus and asks, "Explore this statement with reference to your prescribed text", can you still disagree with parts of the statement similar to an 'evaluate' question? Or do you need to support the statement using the prescribed text?

Hey, louisaaa01!

When provided with an "Explore" question, I would generally encourage you to support the statement and argue for it. That being said, it doesn't stop you from introducing your own elements that enhance your judgement, including those that might challenge the ideas in the statement. As long as you maintain a consistent argument and use suitable techniques to illustrate your views, you're welcome to agree in your own ways  :)

Hey guys
Can a conflict between two people be said to be a microcosm of a larger conflict, or does that word choice not make sense?

Hey, _Himani_!

From what I can see, that makes complete sense to me  :) Perhaps providing the specific text you're aiming to discuss this idea in reference to might help with giving me some context on where your expression is coming from. I personally can tell where you're come from fine from it though!

Hey guys! For a Mod C deconstruction question, how should we structure our paragraphs? Do we use PEEL and if so, what would be our point specifically?

Hey, phungies!

My recommended structure for Mod C is something like this;

- Introduction- discuss briefly your piece of writing, including the stimulus and prescribed text/s from Mod C it was inspired from.
- Body 1- Creative choice, prescribed text, your text, quote/techniques, analysis, link.
- Body 2 (if it's 8-10 marks)- Repeat of Body 1 with a different creative choice and using the second prescribed text if need be.
- Conclusion- reinforce how those creative choices represent the ideas of the stimulus and the role of your prescribed text/s in shaping it.

This allows you to draw links between your prescribed text and the writing you've completed  :) Your argument is essentially what your creative choice was (setting as a key feature, using first person to come from a more personal perspective etc.) and how it was informed by the stimulus and prescribed text/s to create meaning for audiences.

Hey!
I just want to ask if we choose to include context, should it be placed before QTE or after it ?

Hey, Thankunext!

It really depends on what module you're working with; for example, Mod A is more context-driven in comparison to Common Mod so you do have to make sure you're responding to the prioritised demands on the module. Regardless, context should be integrated into your paragraphs to construct a more sophisticated discussion. I would place it firstly before to lead into the textual evidence and then you can lead your analysis using it, such as "Informed by the banal conditions of the early twentieth century, Eliot inserts modernist attitudes in his surroundings, personifying how it was 'as if the world gave up.'" As you can see, I don't go into detail and recount everything that happened in the early twentieth century. I use it as a springboard for discussion on the text itself. I highly recommend you keep that in mind  :)

Hey guys!

If a question says to assess or evaluate do you have to say how effectively the composer achieves (topic...)?

And yes! Use words like "effectively" to show assessment and evaluation. You can also do this with other words like "compelling" which suggests that the text is successful without saying it  :) I would then make sure you link it back to how this effective representation impacts audiences and gives the text value.

Hope this helps, all!  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4536 on: October 14, 2019, 11:45:08 am »
Hi,
For module B, I am studying Emma. I should I approach a question that asks about form?
Thanks

infectmarshroom

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4537 on: October 14, 2019, 01:45:12 pm »
Hi,

If a Mod C text asks you to write an imaginative based on a stimulus without specifying the idea coming from any particular Module, would I be able to still use a character from Mod B in my story?

Thank you

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4538 on: October 14, 2019, 02:33:38 pm »
+2
Hi,
For module B, I am studying Emma. I should I approach a question that asks about form?
Thanks

Hey, violet123!

If you get a question on form, I would look at the overarching language forms and features that best represent the textual medium (which is a novel in your case) and contributes to the enduring value of Emma. For example, you could construct three paragraphs centred on narrative (plot), setting and characterisation which delve into more particularly language features that Austen employs (so for characterisation, you could use voice, free indirect discourse etc.) to give the text value.

Another way you could approach it would be to have three themes and assign a language form to each of them. Self-deception as theme works really well with characterisation, as wealth/social class fits with setting. Either works  :)

Hi,

If a Mod C text asks you to write an imaginative based on a stimulus without specifying the idea coming from any particular Module, would I be able to still use a character from Mod B in my story?

Thank you

Hey, infectmarshroom!

You're welcome to use any other module for inspiration but just make sure that there are still evident links to the Module C prescribed text/s and if you're justifying your response, unless it says you can use Module B, you're focusing mainly on how the Craft of Writing texts influenced your piece. Otherwise, there's nothing stopping you from borrowing ideas and reimagining them in your response from the other modules at all  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4539 on: October 14, 2019, 04:15:57 pm »
Hey for module c in my reflection how can say i that module c has helped me as a writer. That was feedback from trials but honestly don't really know how mod c has actually helped me  :P :P

Am I meant to say something how the "composers of texts I have explored throughout the duration of the course has allowed me to see how stylistic features can..."
I really don't know what i'm meant to say. pls help!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 05:32:19 pm by dani01 »

jelena_nina2001

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4540 on: October 15, 2019, 07:26:12 am »
Hey for module c in my reflection how can say i that module c has helped me as a writer. That was feedback from trials but honestly don't really know how mod c has actually helped me  :P :P

Am I meant to say something how the "composers of texts I have explored throughout the duration of the course has allowed me to see how stylistic features can..."
I really don't know what i'm meant to say. pls help!

yes, and also use the rubric terms. Hope this helps

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4541 on: October 15, 2019, 12:20:10 pm »
Hey guys for this Mod C question...

Our memories and our present-day hope and desires are the authors of each person’s narrative
a) Use the above statement as a stimulus, you must write from the perspective of a character or persona or speaker in ONE of the prescribed texts you studied for Module C

Are we able to utilise a preplanned plot for an imaginative (just change the main protagonist to one of the characters of the Mod C text) OR do we have to use the actual storyline from our Mod C text?

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4542 on: October 15, 2019, 12:21:11 pm »
For the reflective, do we include quotes from the prescribed text we drew inspo from?

Also, I'm really panicked for Module C as I do not have a narrative prepared and don't know what to do if they ask us to "explore a moment of in the text from one of the persona's in your prescribed text." My teacher has not analysed with us any Module C texts in great depth or context. We did Picture A Vacuum but I don't know how to use that in a narrative. Plz help :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

AiramPevensie

• Adventurer
« Reply #4543 on: October 15, 2019, 02:02:20 pm »
+1
Thanks angewina_naguen for the clarification!

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4544 on: October 15, 2019, 04:49:45 pm »
+1
Hey guys for this Mod C question...

Our memories and our present-day hope and desires are the authors of each person’s narrative
a) Use the above statement as a stimulus, you must write from the perspective of a character or persona or speaker in ONE of the prescribed texts you studied for Module C

Are we able to utilise a preplanned plot for an imaginative (just change the main protagonist to one of the characters of the Mod C text) OR do we have to use the actual storyline from our Mod C text?

Unless it specifically states "in a certain point in the text" or something along those lines my teacher said we can make up our own imaginative. In the case of this question Its difficult to say; I think you would probably have to use the actual story line of mod c just tell it from a different angle.