Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:42:16 am

Author Topic: GPA and WAM Calculation for Unimelb MD entry  (Read 4282 times)  Share 

Knarf

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
GPA and WAM Calculation for Unimelb MD entry
« on: August 09, 2018, 01:54:21 am »
Hi folks,

I heard from a Unimelb MD student that when applying for MD, only scores of 22 subjects are included in the calculation for WAM and GPA. Hence students can leave out 2 subjects with lowest scores. And he said it only applied to Unimelb MD. I'm really doubtful of this information since it's not mentioned anywhere on the internet (and it sounds stupid). But he recalled reading about it somewhere. Can anyone verify whether this is true or not? It would be a great help.

Thanks.
Unimelb Bachelor of Biomedicine 2017 - 2019

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: GPA and WAM Calculation for Unimelb MD entry
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:12:19 pm »
Short answer: it depends, but in general, this is not true.

Slightly less short version: don't overthink this information or put too much value into it. The way that GPA calculation works for unimelb MD is exactly how it says on the tin. If you're interested in knowing more, there is plenty of information at your disposal on the GEMSAS website and past admission guides. For this particular student, 22 subjects may have been considered because that's how many he had completed and on his transcript during his application. You don't get your two lowest scores nulled, and I've never heard of any information that would suggest this to be true in all of my research.

Have a nice day.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 12:10:42 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

Knarf

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:51:14 am »
Short answer: it depends, but in general, this is not true.

Slightly less short version: don't overthink this information or put too much value into it. The way that GPA calculation works for unimelb MD is exactly how it says on the tin. If you're interested in knowing more, there is plenty of information at your disposal on the GEMSAS website and past admission guides. For this particular student, 22 subjects may have been considered because that's how many he had completed and on his transcript during his application. You don't get your two lowest scores nulled, and I've never heard of any information that woulds suggest this is true in all of my research.

Have a nice day.

Thanks mate. :)
Unimelb Bachelor of Biomedicine 2017 - 2019

anhb

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:59:59 pm »
quick question relating to this, if one person is doing bach of science with a wam of 80, would melb preference a biomed student with the same wam? i was talking to a bunch of biomed kids and they keep saying melb will preference them even if they have slightly lower or the same wams cause their subjects are harder

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:37:52 pm »
quick question relating to this, if one person is doing bach of science with a wam of 80, would melb preference a biomed student with the same wam? i was talking to a bunch of biomed kids and they keep saying melb will preference them even if they have slightly lower or the same wams cause their subjects are harder
Firstly, no uni uses WAM (apart from 1 but entry is only from that uni).

The subjects are definitely harder but you don't get any advantage.
If a science student has a higher GPA than a biomed student they will be ranked higher for that component.