Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:17:40 pm

Author Topic: What should I do over these holidays?  (Read 1653 times)  Share 

Scribe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
What should I do over these holidays?
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:30:27 pm »
Hi all,

I'll be entering Year 12 next year and would like to do well in VCE English (Units 3/4). As a 'maths/science' guy, I find English quite difficult (albeit manageable) so I will need to put in the extra effort next year. I have two questions:

- What should I be doing over this summer break and how should I prepare? My first SAC is a creative SAC.
- Are VCE English 'Text guides' worth purchasing? If so, which would you recommend (eg. NEAP / Insight)?

Thanks!  :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: What should I do over these holidays?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:59:59 pm »
+13

- What should I be doing over this summer break and how should I prepare? My first SAC is a creative SAC.
- Are VCE English 'Text guides' worth purchasing? If so, which would you recommend (eg. NEAP / Insight)?

Hello  :)

1) The best thing you can do over the summer break is to get familiar with your texts. A thorough understanding of the plot, characters and context will allow you to develop refined interpretations when you return to school. Here, you will have the opportunity to examine your ideas from a more critical lens. Given the types of discussions that you will have in class, I wouldn't recommend that you stress about analysis or even writing over the break. Just use it to play around with ideas. If you do, however, become bored with this, I'd suggest reading/watching some interviews with the specific author/playwright/director.

2) I purchased the Insight guides in year 12. While the guides helped to clarify ambiguous character/plot details, it didn't facilitate the type of depth that I was looking for. Therefore, I'd really only class a text guide as a 'necessity' if you are desperate and haven't read the text. If you are looking to excel in English, I'd instead encourage you to search for some scholarly articles (Google scholar is a good source, or even a university database if your teacher has access), which impart some novel ideas and vocabulary that hardly any of the state will be privy to. Alternatively, have frequent discussions with a teacher or tutor about interpretations. It's important not to underestimate the value of conversation for a subject like English. They invite you to challenge assumptions and justify a particular point of view, so that you have confidence when approaching all SACs/the exam.

All the very best!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:02:09 pm by clarke54321 »
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:38 pm »
+7
When I did VCE I was in the same boat as you and struggled quite a bit with English as a maths/science person. I found that reading all my texts was enough preparation to do in the summer holidays, so I would be familiar with them when I annotated them in class and reread them before SACs and the exam. The only guide I found particularly useful was the Pearson guide for comparative texts, which I believe they have for every pair on the study design.
UAdel MBBS

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 11:25:55 pm »
+8
-I agree with Clarke54321 about the insight guide and tbh most guides don't really go in that much depth. There's one exception to this which would be the VATE guides !!! I highly recommend them and like Clarke54321 said, scholar essays are really good. Even having a browse through the awesome essays on here are good.
-Find resources for your text online and save them for your upcoming year
- Research how to improve your expression (writing concisely, passive vs active tones etc) + Read other books
and most importantly
Read your books for next year pls ppl don't be one of those who don't finish the books even by the end of the year  :'(
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

anon101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 04:04:15 pm »
Is there any way a student can get access to the VATE study guides for my texts next year? BTW, I'm doing Island, Women of Troy and Invitus vs Ransom next year.
Because I've heard quite a few people say they're amazing!
Thanks for any help guys!!!

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:14:28 am »
+1
As people have already suggested, read and become familiar with your texts. It's a great way of getting an advantage, as things won't be as new and novel, if you'd excuse the pun, and if properly revised you can comprehend deeper meaning easier.

Another things I would suggest is engaging in more literary media. Not necessarily books, but films, documentaries, audiobooks, etc. Train yourself to become more analytical, perhaps even write a couple of analytical essays just for fun.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature