Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:37:24 pm

Author Topic: The explanation in Text Response Essays and Comparing Texts  (Read 2187 times)  Share 

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
The explanation in Text Response Essays and Comparing Texts
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:18:13 am »
Hi Guys,

Could some one please explain to me how the explanation works in text response. For instance, if I use a quote, what am I meant to do with it for me not to retell the story. Do I talk about what it suggests, the authors intention's from it... etc? If there is anything else, please let me know as well.

Also, does this apply for both text response and comparing texts?

Thanks

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: The explanation in Text Response Essays and Comparing Texts
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:22:39 am »
+5
Hi Guys,

Could some one please explain to me how the explanation works in text response. For instance, if I use a quote, what am I meant to do with it for me not to retell the story. Do I talk about what it suggests, the authors intention's from it... etc? If there is anything else, please let me know as well.

Also, does this apply for both text response and comparing texts?

Thanks

Hello :)

This is an excellent question. At the crux of it, you are asking, how can I analyse?

Analysis applies to all three text types in English- text response, comparative and argument analysis. And as you've pointed out, it is often derived from what we think the author is suggesting by a particular string of words. In theory, however, the concept of analysis can be difficult to explain. So, I'll try and lend some help through the use of examples.

1) Using second person speech to ask, ‘Where’s your pride?’ Robyn intensifies this self-talk by creating an imaginary comrade, who she uses to affirm her strong qualities of character in the desert.

In this sentence, I've highlighted the verb in blue to indicate the impact of an analytical verb. After you use an analytical verb such as, implies, suggests, foregrounds, underscores, etc you are setting yourself up for an analysis to follow. That is, you are forced to actually tease out the significance of the actual language used by the author; not to merely recount where and why this quote occurred.

2) Just as the chapter title, ‘shedding burdens’ hints, Davidson intimates that nature is a kind of metaphorical chapter, through which Robyn can cleanse herself of these parasitic obligations and effect a spiritual transformation.

Here, we are not just jumping from a) 'shedding burdens' chapter title to b) spiritual transformation. We are instead finding that all important middle section, where we are able to relate the idea of a real chapter title to a symbolic chapter/section in the protagonists' life, and what this tells us about their relationship with nature.

Let me know if you require further clarification  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 10:53:33 am »
Could you explain it a bit further please still. Don't fully understand what you mean. Thanks

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 01:17:16 pm »
+3
Could you explain it a bit further please still. Don't fully understand what you mean. Thanks

Consider this snippet from the 2016 VCAA Argument Analysis article: We risk becoming a
backwater, on the way to being a ghost town.

Here, a student may simply write that Lawton is going to become a 'ghost town' or a 'backwater,' meaning that urgent action must be taken. This would be an obvious example of retelling, where you are merely informing the examiner about the content of the article. The same can apply for a text response and comparative, too. Students often get caught up in the context of a particular occurrence, and end up paraphrasing the language. But an examiner will already be aware of the extraneous detail. They instead want you to look for the layers in this detail and shed some original light on what you think the point of this is.

So, taking the example from above, I'd encourage you to focus on the cumulative effect of the phrases, 'backwater' and 'ghost town'. An astute student will recognise that both of these states connote ideas of acute isolation or vastness. In conjunction, they therefore contribute to a type of overwhelming reality, where the reader is encouraged to confront the prospect of their town enduring financial vulnerability. Considering the implications of this on the job market, the progressiveness of the town, and its holistic vitality, the author thus intends for this seemingly dismal depiction to incite feelings of anxiety in the readers, who are likely to reject this possibility.

Do you see how the above offers the examiner something more than mere description? This is what you should be aiming for every time you approach an analytical essay. If this still isn't clear, perhaps you could provide some quotes on what you are currently working on, and we can try and target something more relevant  :)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:18:58 pm by clarke54321 »

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 02:24:00 pm »
Okay, thanks for the feedback. Have you got any tips for writing essays faster? I never finish essays on time and it takes like 3 to 4 hours sometimes just to write an essay at home? Please help. Do you reckon the key, especially for comparitive text writing and text response essays is to know your texts well so that the quotes you can use and everything else relevant will flow quickly into your mind so you can write quicker?

Also, with the effect again, will it be vague when you said "who are likely to reject this possibility" like you did? Or is it okay to say that if you zoom in on the effect and afterwards, you say something like that. How often are you allowed to say something like "who are likely to reject this possibility" or are "moved to likely accept this proposal" given you zoom in on the intended effect first? Like one per paragraph? Perhaps the last phrase you analyze per body paragraph?

Also, I was reading your tips for each piece of writing for English Units 3 and 4((BTW Really helpful  :). Appreciate it a lot). When I read through the Language analysis part, you said to not be forceful and focus on the intended effect which you gave a couple of examples to do so. Could you please give me a few more of those?
The couple you used were:
"Author encourages/attempts/seeks/aims for readers to feel"
"Readers are implicitly encouraged to react with….."

One last thing(sorry to bother), could you please read through my text response essay I did for 12 Angry Men and see what I could improve on and what I did well in. I'm not sure if I am allowed to leave links or not so I'll copy and paste the essay here if that is okay. Could you specially see if my analysis is good and if I am retelling too much or not?

Would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:02:48 pm by dream chaser »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 06:09:18 pm »
+1
Okay, thanks for the feedback. Have you got any tips for writing essays faster? I never finish essays on time and it takes like 3 to 4 hours sometimes just to write an essay at home? Please help. Do you reckon the key, especially for comparitive text writing and text response essays is to know your texts well so that the quotes you can use and everything else relevant will flow quickly into your mind so you can write quicker?

Simply, it comes down to practice. During year 12, I would routinely plan an essay for a week, and then spend my Sundays writing the essay. For me, planning is arguably the most important element of English. It allows you to properly consider your interpretation, take note of inconsistencies, locate relevant evidence, and find a way to integrate all of this. Once you establish a rhythm like this, the quality of your writing will improve. However, even where I could maintain this quality, I like yourself, found it difficult to transfer these ideas in a restricted time period. And so, I would often memorise certain paragraphs. If you do go down the memorisation path, it is critical that you know how to manipulate the arguments to the particular prompt before you.

Also, with the effect again, will it be vague when you said "who are likely to reject this possibility" like you did? Or is it okay to say that if you zoom in on the effect and afterwards, you say something like that. How often are you allowed to say something like "who are likely to reject this possibility" or are "moved to likely accept this proposal" given you zoom in on the intended effect first? Like one per paragraph? Perhaps the last phrase you analyze per body paragraph?

Yes, that would be vague. My example was very rough, and I would be much more specific in an actual argument analysis. There is really no rule of thumb regarding how often you should zoom out to the intended effect of a reader/audience. I often sought to incorporate it around 3 times per paragraph. A more articulate reader effect statement may be as such: By creating an inextricable link between Lawton's isolation and financial debilitation, Wiley seeks to engender a feeling of anxiety in readers, who are encouraged to embrace a monument that will enhance the community's popularity.

Also, I was reading your tips for each piece of writing for English Units 3 and 4((BTW Really helpful  :). Appreciate it a lot). When I read through the Language analysis part, you said to not be forceful and focus on the intended effect which you gave a couple of examples to do so. Could you please give me a few more of those?
The couple you used were:
"Author encourages/attempts/seeks/aims for readers to feel"
"Readers are implicitly encouraged to react with….."

These few encompass most of what I would usually use. There are also handy adverbs such as, seemingly, evidently, apparently, inherently, etc, which seek to neutralise your explanation of something. For example, it is better to say, ....readers who have an inherently hostile disposition towards X... instead of omitting inherently. Without this adverb, your sentence may be classed as subjective.

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 07:05:17 pm »
Thank you for the help. Will take it on board