Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:33:56 am

Author Topic: How to write faster in English? And scores needed for Study Score of 25 and 30  (Read 1600 times)  Share 

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering to see if anyone has any tips to write faster in English. For me, English is definitely my worst subject and it takes me a lot of time for me to think of what to write. As a result, I rarely finish SAC's on time and heading into Year 12, this worries me. Is there anyways I can improve on this.

Also, I am aiming to get Raw 30 in English next year. To do that, what marks should I be getting in terms of a percentage from each SAC and the final Exam to achieve that? Also, can someone tell me the scores in terms of a percentage to get a Raw 25 in English as well.

Thanks

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
+2
I was just wondering to see if anyone has any tips to write faster in English. For me, English is definitely my worst subject and it takes me a lot of time for me to think of what to write. As a result, I rarely finish SAC's on time and heading into Year 12, this worries me. Is there anyways I can improve on this.

I'd recommend practing writing detailed plans for prompts - this'll take much less time than actually writing out full essays and should give you a lot of value for time spent :)

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
+2
Hey,
As a year 12 who has just finished VCE English... don't stress.
You will make so many improvements through the course of a year.
I think if you are struggling to think what to write, plans will be your best friend. Continuously do them for each prompt you find for your text. A plan also allows you to write quicker as you know what to say. On the holidays, just make sure you read, and re-read your books! and take notes of major/minor themes.

IMO, I think a raw 30 is quite easily achievable. Your study score is determined on your rank and your exam performance, not percentage  :)
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Okay thanks for the replies guys. I just don't feel confident with the subject at all and it worries me. I'm only like averaging like 40% in my SACS for Year 11. What should I do over the holidays to make sure I feel more confident with the subject?

Also, roughly how much do you reckon I need for Raw 30 in English. Will about 70% be enough you reckon? I know you said it is based on the final exam and ranking but could you roughly give me a score I would need you reckon to get Raw 30.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:29:41 pm by vox nihili »

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
On the holidays, just make sure you read, and re-read your books! and take notes of major/minor themes.
IMO, I think a raw 30 is quite easily achievable. Your study score is determined on your rank and your exam performance, not percentage  :)
+ read heaps of high-scoring essays. lots around here.

Percentage- So basically probably your cohort's average for each SAC. So whether that'll be 50% to 70% to 90%....
Have a read about how study scores work.

Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Writing faster literally just comes with practice. If you want to increase the speed in which you can think and transcribe on to paper, just practice writing. Obviously, it makes the most sense to suggest you write analyses in your own time, but you don't even necessarily have to do that in order to get your hand flowing over paper. The challenge is though is keeping cogent thoughts with legible handwriting. Again, this just takes practice.

Reading other exemplar practice essays is a very passive form of learning. I'm not saying that reading top-scoring essays wouldn't help you to improve your writing, but it is far more practical to do writing yourself. I believe that reading examples should only really be used if you want to compare writing styles or look specifically what differentiates your form of writing with those of the top band. However, that is just my opinion.

For me last year, I decided just to watch a few films and TV shows and decided to take notes and analyse them for fun. I suggest attempting this over the holidays at least once to at least see if this would be beneficial for you. I know for myself, that was a good training exercise in being more perceptive in picking up details, explaining what they are and interpreting the purpose of them.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature