Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:29:27 pm

Author Topic: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ  (Read 76798 times)

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
Re: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »
+1
This is like the most inspirational thing I have ever read.😂 I'm just going to hope that I get extremely lucky in the exam and that it is going to be a 50. (Watch it be like 46 or something).
If you ever need someone to protect you from birds just summon me at any time! (How do you deal with going outside then with a fear of birds? Like what do you do about it? :o) Thank you for the motivational support and hopefully, everything works out!

Thanks!! Well, if you ever see a person running below a bird with their hands over their head you’ll know it was me.

All good, can’t wait to follow your journal next year   8)
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2019, 02:35:28 pm »
+1
Not a dumb question at all! Rotary is basically a non for profit organisation that strives to make the place we live in better while giving opportunities to people to do something big who may have not been able to do it by themselves. The main theme of Rotary is "Service above self" and then there is a 4-way test each Rotarian stick by.

In terms of NYSF, NYSF highly recommends that you apply with a rotary club which would be one near your local school or home. Your school may actually be involved with a rotary club and it would be a good place to start to see if they would like to endorse your application. It would be really good if you could get involved in a club or even if you know a few people from it. (My old primary school teacher was part of the club and that's how I got my application endorsed).

NYSF and Rotary Australia work together to give young people who are particularly interested in Science a chance to be able to pursue it through this program! Do note, Rotary does not have any obligation to pay for your trip though. In my case, I got half of it funded by rotary and the other half from a scholarship provided by NYSF. The main idea of Rotary is to give without expecting anything back!
Thanks so much for the through explanation :)
I guess I'll need to start doing a bit of research into this!

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2019, 03:18:12 pm »
+5
Thanks!! Well, if you ever see a person running below a bird with their hands over their head you’ll know it was me.

All good, can’t wait to follow your journal next year   8)

I guess springtime definitely isn't your favourite time with all the magpies around then :P
Also, when are you making a VCE Journey Journal Choco?👀👀👀 (I really want to read what you do and your journey too~)

Thanks so much for the through explanation :)
I guess I'll need to start doing a bit of research into this!

No problem! If you have any more questions just message me and I'll help out!
I'll probably make an NYSF review and application process post when I get back from the trip! *Stay tuned*

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2019, 09:08:54 pm »
+1
I'll probably make an NYSF review and application process post when I get back from the trip! *Stay tuned*
Sure will :)

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2020, 12:11:58 pm »
+9
Update: 8/01/2020

Hi guys I'm back again and I'm absolutely tired from NYSF. Our session was cut short due to the hazardous air quality in Canberra and resulted in us all getting evacuated from our session but even so, we did a jam pack of amazing things during the time we had there.

So during NYSF (National Youth Science Forum) I was part of the Engineering group called Newton (we were the best group not going to lie). During our time here, we went to many workshops, lectures and oddly enough, a whole pack of discos every night. When we could go outside, it was to places like Questacon (wooohooo) and even a live lecture to the Australian Antarctic Division. Although we all had to leave early and couldn't do much for our STEM visits such as visiting the engineering campus and other places, we all had one of the best time of our lives.

I've made so many life-long friends that I will never forget and have never been surrounded by so many bright and down to earth people all pursuing their passion in science. This was a short and sweet journey with lots of laughter and when we went back home to different cities, lots of tears began. I already miss my Newton group so much and I can't wait to see you all again.

On the bright side, ATAR Notes lectures start next week! Who am I seeing there?
It's time for me to catch up on a lot of work before the lectures start and I'll make a proper NYSF Review and Application process later~

See you guys later!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:29:16 pm by ashmi »

Chocolatemilkshake

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2020, 01:28:05 pm »
+2
Wow I can’t believe it got cut short cause of air quality  :'(. Sounds like you had a great time despite that though, would love to hear more.  :D

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2020, 01:51:48 pm »
+2
Glad to hear you had a great time Ash, despite it being cut short!!

Would love to hear more about your adventures  :D

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2020, 10:15:23 am »
+4
Wow I can’t believe it got cut short cause of air quality  :'(. Sounds like you had a great time despite that though, would love to hear more.  :D

Glad to hear you had a great time Ash, despite it being cut short!!

Would love to hear more about your adventures  :D

Yeah, the air quality got so bad that Canberra became rank 1 in the world for the worst air quality😂. I'm currently suffering post-NYSF depression and it is really hitting home right now (not to mention I've gotten sick too👌). I don't think I've ever gotten so emotional leaving friends that I just met before and I'll definitely be updating my journal later today to do a proper mini-review and when I can find the right forum to post in, a mini guide for applying to the program! *stay tuned everyone*

On the other hand, is anyone going to the AN lectures this week? Would love to meet up with you guys ;D

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2020, 07:12:55 pm »
+3
Ahh! NYSF sounds amazing!
I was pushed to go by my teachers from school but couldn't find an endorsement by a Rotary club and at some point, I couldn't be bothered... but I really, really regret it now!
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2020, 09:58:21 pm »
+6
Ahh! NYSF sounds amazing!
I was pushed to go by my teachers from school but couldn't find an endorsement by a Rotary club and at some point, I couldn't be bothered... but I really, really regret it now!

You would have enjoyed it so much!😭
Finding a Rotary Club can be super hard and is quite a tedious process at times so I understand where you are coming from. I'm sure there will be other opportunities out there so don't worry, there is plenty more to come ;D

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2020, 08:13:29 pm »
+10
*Update: 17/01*

With school less than 2 weeks away, it's probably time I updated this journal to make sure I get back on track with my work (and hopefully to stop procrastinating). Not much has happened since I've been back from NYSF and if you are going into Year 11 this year, I highly recommend that you check out my guide to applying for the program!
☆NYSF - National Youth Science Forum | Mini-Guide☆

I did attend the AN lectures this week and thank you to those that recognised me and said hi! During the AN lectures, I was also able to reunite with some of my long lost NYSF buddies and was able to meet some new people. Also a huge shout-out to those awesome AN people at the front desk looking after the mini book shop. (Looking at you Joseph41 and literally lauren ;D)

It wasn't until I was at these lectures that I realised how big the AN community has grown over the past few years! It was double what it used to be in the past and I'm honestly shocked at how many resources there are now. Well anyway, here is a mini breakdown of how my subjects have been!

✰ English ✰
I finished reading/watching all my English texts for this year and have been making some detailed mind-maps to link concepts together. In addition to that, I've done some Argument Analysis practise pieces just to see what I can improve on during the year (mainly being my vocabulary and trying to make my writing more concise). For my comparative texts, I'm doing Stasiland and Never Let Me Go which both texts have been quite interesting to read. I was expecting to not enjoy these texts, but they have both been surprisingly good (especially Never Let Me Go which the plot was something I would have never suspected). I'm looking forward to starting the new school year and getting started on some essays! I hope that between now and the end of the holidays I can continue to improve on my writing skills so I can focus more on ideas during the year.

✰ Product Design and Technology ✰
PDT is going AMAZING right now 8). I just finished interviewing my end-user for my final project and have been able to identify what type of costume my end-user would like. My end-user profile is complete and I'm currently just drafting up a new design brief which should be done by tonight! (If I stop procrastinating). Since I was able to study ahead and finish learning the theory for Unit 3 and 4 for this subject, it now has given me a lot of free time to perfect my folio (for Top Designs) and focus on creating a well-constructed costume! My end-user would like her cosplay to resemble an outfit similar to the fantasy style archers. I'm excited about constructing an outfit with different armour pieces, a bow and arrow with also some replica daggers based on a fantasy theme. With a bit of brainstorming and some more visualisations, I might be able to get a fully rendered design done soon!

✰ Methods ✰
For once, I'm feeling pretty good about Methods! I've mainly done a light study over Unit 3 and so far don't have any problems with it. In the past few weeks, I've abandoned my dear CAS calculator completely and I'm seeing some massive improvements when it comes to doing Methods without a CAS. Surprisingly, I've gotten much faster at general arithmetic and I'm not making the same mistakes I used to anymore. Hopefully, I can keep this up and I might even be able to eliminate my fear of doing Maths without a calculator before the end of year exams.

✰ Chemistry ✰
I'm about halfway into AOS 2 for Chemistry and overall, I am happy with my progress! There has been a lot going on study wise for this subject and it seems like it is starting to pay off now. The topic of Fuels and Energy I find it enjoyable. I might be weird in saying this, but I'm finding Unit 3/4 so far much easier than 1/2?

✰ Physics ✰
I've officially finished learning all of Unit 3! (WOOHOO!!)
I love AOS 3 Motion and AOS 1 and 2 have been super interesting to learn also! Physics last year was something I didn't enjoy, but it seems like it has redeemed itself. Physics has been enjoyable to study and when I get back to school, this is going to be the subject I want to focus on understanding perfectly. Loving this subject right now, but let's see what happens to my attitude as soon as I get back my first SAC results.

On a side note, I've recently have gotten addicted to this certain drink at Maccas. Recently, I've been ordering iced chocolate with extra whip cream and lots of crushed Oreos and it tastes like heaven, I LOVE IT. It's like eating mini ice cream in a way but with a super nice drink. ;D

Thanks for tuning in to this episode of my journey journal😂

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2020, 08:44:34 pm »
+2
Oooooooo looks like you've done a good amount of work as preparation!! Its actually super motivating to see  ;D

And yessssss......we love Physics  :D

Glad you had a great time at the lectures!! (and I cant wait to see how your PDT final turns out!!!)

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2020, 09:07:31 pm »
+3
Oooooooo looks like you've done a good amount of work as preparation!! Its actually super motivating to see  ;D

And yessssss......we love Physics  :D

Glad you had a great time at the lectures!! (and I cant wait to see how your PDT final turns out!!!)

We gotta love the good old Physics ;D
I can't believe that I couldn't find you at the lectures!😂. We literally just missed each other by a bit too. (Our organisation skills are terrible).

I'm excited to see some more progress pictures of how Art is going for you! (Your work is going to be so amazing it's gonna get into Top Arts I can feel it ;D)

Chocolatemilkshake

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2020, 09:52:39 pm »
+3
Thanks for tuning in to this episode of my journey journal😂

Nice Ash! It seems like you've got a fantastic start on the year. As Arty said, I'm really looking forward to seeing your final design (ahh it's going to be awesome, I know it!!!  :o ;D ;D)

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2020, 10:20:30 am »
+2
Wow! I wish I had the motivation to do that much work over the holidays! Seriously, you should be super proud of that effort.  ;D
In the past few weeks, I've abandoned my dear CAS calculator completely and I'm seeing some massive improvements when it comes to doing Methods without a CAS.
That's a great idea, I normally try and do all the exercises without a calculator because I feel pretty confident in my ability to punch some numbers into a computer, so it's time better spent improving my 'by hand' skills.
Great to see you enjoyed your time at NYSF, that looked like a blast! Best of luck for the year ahead, I'm sure you'll smash it!!  :) :)