Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:59:03 am

Author Topic: What is the best way to write a summary book?  (Read 2619 times)  Share 

sbeccia

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
What is the best way to write a summary book?
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:29 am »
Hey everyone!

I need to write as summary book for methods, and I find that when I do I never use it anyway... But just to be safe, how did you all write your 3/4 summaries? Did you put explanations and questions you had trouble with or just questions? I really don't know where to start
2019: Maths Methods
2020: English, Italian, Physics, Biology and Further Maths

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: What is the best way to write a summary book?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 11:41:28 am »
+2
I personally took two different exercise books into class and wrote all my theory notes in one and did questions in another, binding my theory notes at the end of the year.

This, however, isn’t the only way to do it. I’ve seen people write cheat sheets (usually after a chapter or topic) and a log of questions they got wrong, binding that to make their bound reference. I’ve seen others that only have topics they’re not good at in their bound reference. I’ve also seen people who focus on their skills and bring the textbook and their exercise book duct taped together at the last moment.

You should start by doing whatever is most helpful for you.

Side note: I dug this article up and thought it might be useful too.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: What is the best way to write a summary book?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:28:32 pm »
I'm pretty skeptical about including past questions + solutions in your summary book. This will just make your summary harder to navigate, and what questions would you even include? If it's a challenging question that you did in the past, or couldn't do in the past, you should instead just make sure during revision time that you fully understand it and can do it again in the future without help. You don't want something super thick and unwieldy sitting on your table during the exam.

When I did methods, I just brought the textbook into my exam because I knew that I wasn't going to use it anyways. I didn't even really keep notes
throughout the year because that's just not how I learn maths. Instead of working on a summary, I spent all of my time doing as many practice exams as possible. I think this helped me far more than a summary would have.

But this is incredibly personal, so I'm not recommending you to not write anything up unless you also feel like writing notes doesn't help.
Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)