Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:57:58 am

Author Topic: Pen Recommendations  (Read 6639 times)

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
  • Respect: 0
Pen Recommendations
« on: April 14, 2018, 12:07:01 am »
+1
What are everyone's recommended pens for exams?

The infamous Muji pens used to be my go-to, but after a while I found them too scratchy (since the tip was so fine) which really slowed me down for long essays. Nowadays I use them for maths and sometimes Chemistry for neatness, although I often switch to a smoother pen for 7 mark questions where I need to write a lot. For essays, I use the Inkjoy - although it is much thicker and potentially messier than Muji pens, I find that the pen glides very smoothly that the speed gained makes up for the messiness. Plus, the wide 1cm lines on the writing booklet gives me room for some messiness and larger handwriting. I do love the Inkjoy but I feel like the tip could be slightly thinner and the ink could be even smoother perhaps - I'm still experimenting and searching, so I'd love to hear your suggestions!  ;D
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Pen Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:50:51 am »
+3
The Uniball Jetstream has my heart <3
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 07:34:40 am »
Forever and always

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:45 am »

Oh my goodness YES! I've tried it once and it was amazing but I ran out of refills :'( do you know where I can get cheap refills because I'd really love to stock up on them!
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:17:17 pm »
+3
PLEASE, stationery is my thing!

Highly recommend Artline Smoove- they're like $6 for a 20 pack. They're smooth, the 1.0mm nib size makes the ink flow easier and they last for a while. I'd say ballpoint pens are better than gel pens in exams because you're gonna end up smudging the ink if you use gel pens and the ink is so watery. Plus, gel pens with nib sizes of 0.7+ mm are too inky and they'll end up splattering all over your paper. If you choose 0.38mm nib size, the pen is too sharp that it will dig into the paper. 0.5mm nib size may be the way to go only for class notes, not exams! Which is why I would highly recommend Muji for class notes but Papermate Inkjoy is too inky (considering how Officeworks only sells 0.7mm) and the Pilot G-2 0.38mm is extremely sharp!

I actually happened to write an article on stationery, if you're interested lol.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:53:46 pm »
Pentel Energels saves me for essays. They glide quickly and dry super fast without bleeding through the page!
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 01:30:45 pm »
Hi everyone,
Side note, how about pacers which ones are the best for maths for example

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 01:36:36 pm »
Hi everyone,
I use a Pentel pacer for maths, but Faber Castell pacers are also great!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 01:46:58 pm »
I use a Pentel pacer for maths, but Faber Castell pacers are also great!

I second the Pentel pacer for maths
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 03:22:59 pm »
PLEASE, stationery is my thing!

Highly recommend Artline Smoove- they're like $6 for a 20 pack. They're smooth, the 1.0mm nib size makes the ink flow easier and they last for a while. I'd say ballpoint pens are better than gel pens in exams because you're gonna end up smudging the ink if you use gel pens and the ink is so watery. Plus, gel pens with nib sizes of 0.7+ mm are too inky and they'll end up splattering all over your paper. If you choose 0.38mm nib size, the pen is too sharp that it will dig into the paper. 0.5mm nib size may be the way to go only for class notes, not exams! Which is why I would highly recommend Muji for class notes but Papermate Inkjoy is too inky (considering how Officeworks only sells 0.7mm) and the Pilot G-2 0.38mm is extremely sharp!

I actually happened to write an article on stationery, if you're interested lol.

I absolutely agree with every single thing you've mentioned!! Ah it's so good to know that someone else understands the obsession / struggle ;D I will definitely give Artline a try! I'm slightly worried that the round grip might slip from my hands when I'm writing frantically (since my hands sweat a lot when I write) but I can attach a rubber grip from one of my older pens or something - sounds weird but it has worked before hahah
HSC 2018:

Dream Course:

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 03:29:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

I haven't actually tried the Pentel or Faber-Castel pacers, but I personally find that the lead is just as important as the pacer itself! I use the XQ Ceramic II (quite obscure, I know) and they come out super smooth and dark, so you might like to experiment with them too :)
HSC 2018:

Dream Course:

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 03:47:52 pm »
I second the Pentel pacer for maths
Like the officeworks ones?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 05:16:25 pm »
Like the officeworks ones?

Yea, you can get it from Officeworks. This is the one I used (don't do maths anymore!):

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 06:08:03 pm »
Ooooooh a stationary post!

Math:
I usually use a mechanical pencil. I really like the Uni Kuru Toga. It has a mechanism that rotates the lead each time you press onto the paper, so that your lead doesn't get blunt. Can be bought from Officeworks, but I've imported a few different versions from Japan :')

Like you suggested, if I need to use pen for math, I'll use a 0.38 Muji pen, really helps keep things neat.

Science:
I liked to use 0.5mm Muji pens, and I'm a big fan of the navy colour in particular. They come in a variety of colours which is great for writing notes :)

English/Humanities:
My go to was the 0.7 mm Uniball Jetstream. Super smooth, and more importantly, super comfortable for writing those long essays.

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »
What I use atm is a Zebra Text 2-way pacer and I switch between 0.7 Pentel Energel Metal Tip pens for maths exams and 0.7 Uniball Jetstream pens for essay-based exams. I also ordered one of the Jetstream Alpha Gel series recently as a reward after half-yearlies because it's basically my dream pen; the grip is super comfortable and the pen has a nice weight - not too light, but not too heavy either.

Oh my goodness YES! I've tried it once and it was amazing but I ran out of refills :'( do you know where I can get cheap refills because I'd really love to stock up on them!

I personally just buy them from Officeworks or Kinokuniya, but ordering them off eBay or Taobao in bulk would probably be cheaper
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05