Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 09:23:52 am

Author Topic: Gap year to do prereq for course. what do I put in to VTAC?  (Read 952 times)  Share 

Dofu3

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Gap year to do prereq for course. what do I put in to VTAC?
« on: September 19, 2020, 09:34:19 pm »
Hello, my careers teacher aint replying, so here I am.

I plan on applying for dentistry, however a pre req is bio, which I have not done. So, if I do get the atar required, I plan on undertaking a gap year as well as bio at unilearn so to fulfill the prereq.

My question is, what do I put in to my course preferences for VTAC this year? Do I apply even though I do not have the prereq? Also, will I be required to create a VTAC account next year?
Looking for a tutor for 2020:
Aiming for a raw 45+ for all my subjects:
eng, chem, spesh methods.

Mainly looking for a tutor for english. We're doing all the light we cannot see, the longest memory, seven stages of grieving and rear window.
email me @ [email protected]

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Gap year to do prereq for course. what do I put in to VTAC?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 06:48:52 pm »
+5
My question is, what do I put in to my course preferences for VTAC this year?
You've got a few options:
1. Apply for other courses you don't mind via VTAC, leaving a space for the dentistry course on there, despite the fact that you won't get it until the UniLearn course has been successfully passed. If you receive an offer, defer or decline. From my understanding, if you defer, you won't actually incur any costs until actually starting the course and can still withdraw later, but I'd double check this first before going down this path. But if this works, you'll effectively have a spot in another course as a back up if all doesn't go to plan and can apply for post-graduate dentistry courses instead after you finish an appropriate undergraduate course. 
2. Same as the first option, but no dentistry course on there. Again, defer or decline if you get an offer you're not happy with.
3. Apply another time e.g. mid-year 2021 intake or 2022 intake with VTAC with the dentistry course on there after successfully passing the UniLearn course.

Do I apply even though I do not have the prereq?
Up to you.   

Also, will I be required to create a VTAC account next year?
Yes. The next time you apply you'll need to reapply and pay for an account (again, if you've already done this).
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Dofu3

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 08:35:07 pm »
You've got a few options:
1. Apply for other courses you don't mind via VTAC, leaving a space for the dentistry course on there, despite the fact that you won't get it until the UniLearn course has been successfully passed. If you receive an offer, defer or decline. From my understanding, if you defer, you won't actually incur any costs until actually starting the course and can still withdraw later, but I'd double check this first before going down this path. But if this works, you'll effectively have a spot in another course as a back up if all doesn't go to plan and can apply for post-graduate dentistry courses instead after you finish an appropriate undergraduate course. 
2. Same as the first option, but no dentistry course on there. Again, defer or decline if you get an offer you're not happy with.
3. Apply another time e.g. mid-year 2021 intake or 2022 intake with VTAC with the dentistry course on there after successfully passing the UniLearn course.
   Up to you.   
 Yes. The next time you apply you'll need to reapply and pay for an account (again, if you've already done this).

Thanks for your response!

Follow up questions: For mid year intake, will I need to apply via vtac again? Is it just like us applying right now except it is done later for the mid year intake?

If I do finish uni learn before mid year intakes, what do I put into my VTAC preferences rn? Can I put courses as back up, but have dentistry as no.1? And then defer if i get offered for the other courses?
Looking for a tutor for 2020:
Aiming for a raw 45+ for all my subjects:
eng, chem, spesh methods.

Mainly looking for a tutor for english. We're doing all the light we cannot see, the longest memory, seven stages of grieving and rear window.
email me @ [email protected]

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:54:11 am »
+2
Follow up questions: For mid year intake, will I need to apply via vtac again?
Pretty sure you will need to apply again since it’s a different intake. You can confirm this if you want with VTAC themselves. (I’m not from VTAC.)

Is it just like us applying right now except it is done later for the mid year intake?
Yes. The only real differences aren’t actually much to do with the application itself, as you can see below:
- your high school will probably not offer the same support as you have now e.g. course/ career counselling
- less people will be applying then, so there may be fewer spots available.
- Some courses may not have mid year intakes, so clarify with your desired institute (I assume La Trobe given they’re the only undergrad dentistry course I can think of at a Victorian uni) that your dentistry course is  participating in this intake!
- You will be starting mid year which will mean you’ll be starting at an “abnormal” time, so some units may assume you know something from a previous unit you may not have done yet.
- You might also need to readjust your units so that you fulfil all the prereq units for the following semester/ year and you may be doing units out of order compared to doing it normally i.e. you might do a first year second semester unit first, then a first year first semester unit, rather than the other way around. 

If I do finish uni learn before mid year intakes, what do I put into my VTAC preferences rn?

Depends on which option you want to take from my previous post.
If you take Option 1: you’ll put dentistry first (but not expect to get a spot due to lack of Bio), then whatever courses you want. You can decide to defer/ decline courses as they come. If you defer, you’ll effectively have a reserved spot in that course so if things get hairy, you’ll have a back up. If you decide against your gap year, you’ll also have that course to fall back on. (BUT as I said earlier, confirm with VTAC or your desired institute to be 100% sure you can: (a) withdraw a deferred course and (b) withdraw said deferred course without incurring any fees first, if you’re going with this option!) When you get to the mid-year 2021 or start of 2022 intake, you’ll reapply for dentistry.
If you take Option 2: Same as Option 1, except all spaces will be filled by back up courses. (No dentistry.) You’ll apply for dentistry courses when you’ve competed your UniLearn course.
If you take Option 3: You don’t apply now and thus don’t have any preferences.

Can I put courses as back up, but have dentistry as no.1? And then defer if i get offered for the other courses?
See above for answer.

Side note: From memory, UniLearn is a semester long, but you’d have to clarify with UniLearn to confirm this. I think you’d just indicate in your VTAC account you’ve done it and it’ll be  considered.

Edit: Fixed some typos, formatting and a minor clarification.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 05:32:02 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread