Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:50 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW / USYD?  (Read 5175 times)

stels

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW / USYD?
« on: December 14, 2018, 03:43:23 pm »
ATAR: 96.65
I am planning to transfer into B Commerce/B Laws (ATAR 99.70) - I know about LAT.

UNSW:
• Farer
• I can probably get a $5,000 scholarship first year.
• #22 in the World (http://www.topuniversities.com; I thought USYD was better?)

USYD:
• Closer
• $15,000 first year scholarship highly likely.
• #31 in the World (http://www.topuniversities.com)

I have a friend who did B Commerce/B Laws at UNSW, so I'm leaning towards that, but USYD has higher scholarships, is closer, and is more internationally recognised.

For the degree I'm doing, which university would be a better option? Like what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW / USYD?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 03:57:00 pm »
+1
Question first though.

Since you're intending to transfer in, what's your preferred pathway? Are you going for
1. UNSW BCom -> UNSW BCom/BLaw
2. USyd BCom -> USyd BCom/BLaw
3. Switching universities later on, for example USyd BCom -> UNSW BCom/BLaw
or 4. not too fussed about this?

stels

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:27:44 pm »
Question first though.

Since you're intending to transfer in, what's your preferred pathway? Are you going for
1. UNSW BCom -> UNSW BCom/BLaw
2. USyd BCom -> USyd BCom/BLaw
3. Switching universities later on, for example USyd BCom -> UNSW BCom/BLaw
or 4. not too fussed about this?

I don't want to do LAT, and so to avoid it, I should get into UNSW. However, if USYD's course is better than UNSW, then doing the combined degree at USYD is alright.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:40:02 pm »
+1
I don't want to do LAT, and so to avoid it, I should get into UNSW. However, if USYD's course is better than UNSW, then doing the combined degree at USYD is alright.
I don't think comparing the universities is a good idea. Both UNSW and USyd are top tier (and over #50) universities and there really is no accurate means of comparing them. They both have strong teaching quality and graduates from both universities are just as employable. (Even if I'm biased towards UNSW all the way.)

The rankings are typically not determined by teaching quality much, if at all. They're determined by the research quality their professors and etc. produce.

I know that UNSW does have a good business school and from what little I've been told about USyd their's isn't bad either. At this stage, your extra $10k for going to USyd sounds more enticing, more or less because you've said it's "highly likely". If you're still somewhat uncertain about it, then $5k is plenty given that you have a friend to help your way around. But a "highly likely" $15k is something you probably don't wanna ditch just like that.

Travel time - not too fussed about that one. UNSW is usually further away for most people because of the extra bus ride.

stels

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 05:08:45 pm »
I don't think comparing the universities is a good idea. Both UNSW and USyd are top tier (and over #50) universities and there really is no accurate means of comparing them. They both have strong teaching quality and graduates from both universities are just as employable. (Even if I'm biased towards UNSW all the way.)

The rankings are typically not determined by teaching quality much, if at all. They're determined by the research quality their professors and etc. produce.

I know that UNSW does have a good business school and from what little I've been told about USyd their's isn't bad either. At this stage, your extra $10k for going to USyd sounds more enticing, more or less because you've said it's "highly likely". If you're still somewhat uncertain about it, then $5k is plenty given that you have a friend to help your way around. But a "highly likely" $15k is something you probably don't wanna ditch just like that.

Travel time - not too fussed about that one. UNSW is usually further away for most people because of the extra bus ride.

I've already been contacted by USYD for the $15k first year scholarship last week saying that if I put it as my first preference, I've basically got it. I just know so many UNSW people who always recommend it over USYD.

In the meantime, I'm pressured by family to do something like Electrical Engineering due to a higher starting salary (I don't really know much about it).
I had a broad degree as my 5th preference. When I think of Engineering, I think of outdoor work, I prefer indoors. Some people say engineering can be mostly indoors, in offices, but what would I be doing? Calculations all day?

Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Flexible First Year) at UNSW:
• Higher starting salary than B Commerce itself. (idk about B Law/B Commerce)
• Higher employability than B Commerce itself.
• Guaranteed Entry (via Text)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 05:17:07 pm »
+2
I've already been contacted by USYD for the $15k first year scholarship last week saying that if I put it as my first preference, I've basically got it. I just know so many UNSW people who always recommend it over USYD.

In the meantime, I'm pressured by family to do something like Electrical Engineering due to a higher starting salary (I don't really know much about it).
I had a broad degree as my 5th preference. When I think of Engineering, I think of outdoor work, I prefer indoors. Some people say engineering can be mostly indoors, in offices, but what would I be doing? Calculations all day?

Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Flexible First Year) at UNSW:
• Higher starting salary than B Commerce itself. (idk about B Law/B Commerce)
• Higher employability than B Commerce itself.
• Guaranteed Entry (via Text)
Whatever your family says is not a priority. Being motivated by only money can put you in the dumps these days - do what you want to do, because the money will start accumulating itself when you're happier with things. You'll also find a job more comfortably (less stress/pressure) because you'll be more passionate at the interviews and stuff for jobs you're more interested in.

(Although, you can ask Jamon about engineering if you want more insight into the discipline itself.)

I'm not convinced that the UNSW people should dictate your life either. Is there anything that stands out to you about why they recommend it over USyd, as opposed to just draw you in?