Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:51:15 pm

Author Topic: Questions on creative writing  (Read 853 times)

BlackFrost

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Questions on creative writing
« on: January 12, 2020, 04:24:22 pm »
Hey there,
Having heard that creative writing will be part of the common module for Yr11 English advanced next year, I am a bit worried - since I have always struggled with creative.
So I have got some questions:

1. How do you increase vocabulary, like specifically for creative, those sort of descriptive words and fancy action verbs? (I have tried reading heaps of novels, but I have always shifted my attention to the plot instead of focusing on jotting down good words, should I try short stories, are there any good sites?)

2. What does the module want students to do for creative writing and are there any ways to 'improve' a piece of creative writing?

Thanks  :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Questions on creative writing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:23:44 pm »
+4
Hi!

2. What does the module want students to do for creative writing?
I would definitely have a look at the prelim syllabus as it's going to tell you exactly what is required of you.

The HSC Craft of Writing module requires you to know your prescribed texts well, so that you can write a creative piece - whether that's imaginative, discursive, persuasive or an informative text based on these texts. You may also be required to write a reflection on your writing. So it wouldn't hurt to start thinking about and developing these skills now, even before your HSC year, as they will still be helpful for prelim.

Are there any ways to improve a piece?
Sure there are!

This article was originally written for the old English syllabus, but it contains boundless tips for improving creative writing technique. I definitely found it very helpful during my own HSC!

And as cliche as it sounds, to improve, you need to practice! Try writing under timed conditions, to get accustomed to thinking on your feet!

1. How do you increase vocab?

"Descriptive words and fancy action verbs" can be great. But what also can be great is actually just arranging "normal" words in a way that demonstrates a skillful and artistic control of language.

Perhaps have a look at some sample exemplar creative pieces (these are usually available on the NESA website) to gauge what kind of language they use. You might find that these don't just insert fancy words here and there, but rather, their language as a whole demonstrates sophistication and composure.

Hope this helps! Just remember you still have plenty of time to improve!  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Questions on creative writing
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 01:41:12 pm »
+3
Hey there,
Having heard that creative writing will be part of the common module for Yr11 English advanced next year, I am a bit worried - since I have always struggled with creative.
So I have got some questions:

1. How do you increase vocabulary, like specifically for creative, those sort of descriptive words and fancy action verbs? (I have tried reading heaps of novels, but I have always shifted my attention to the plot instead of focusing on jotting down good words, should I try short stories, are there any good sites?)

2. What does the module want students to do for creative writing and are there any ways to 'improve' a piece of creative writing?

Thanks  :)

Hey, BlackFrost!

Will add that we have a bunch of great sample creative writing pieces available in the Notes Section that have been donated by past HSC students. They can give a great starting point if you're looking to see what you should be striving towards and the kind of language you might want to aim for in your responses.

And improving creative writing is definitely a progressive thing. I'm still finding ways to enhance my writing to this day so definitely think of it as something to start thinking about early and developing over time. A great creative doesn't just come out of thin air; you need to work and rework it to allow your ideas to flourish and your representations to be further refined. That's why the saying is "the first draft is the worst draft"  :) My final creative for Advanced was the product of around twenty drafts I had spent time looking over and remoulding. Constantly edit and challenge your own writing to identify areas that you might like to elaborate more on, cut out or express differently.

On a final note, if you are attending our Prelim lectures this week either at UTS or MQU, I'd recommend going to the English one as Reading to Write will be covered then! The slides for the lecture will also be available for download shortly after so if you can't make it, you'll still get all the information  8) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:43:59 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music