Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:12:37 pm

Author Topic: Urgent help with subject selection! ASAP  (Read 1552 times)  Share 

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
Urgent help with subject selection! ASAP
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:50:34 pm »
Alright, I did 1/2 methods this year pretty averagely and I know I could have done way better of I had focused a lot more. I was planning to do 3/4 methods next year but I hear you want a solid 1/2 record to do well. I am aiming for 99+ for my ATAR and I am pretty serious about it now. Anyway, my main concern is year eleven

Year eleven has been described as the god year for me since I can hone down on one or two subjects and really learn the shit out of them. I mean completely indulge myself in these subjects to ensure I can do well. I could do the for psychology 3/4 as I love the content and it really is more conceptual thinking which is my forte.

So my problem is this....

I could not do mm1/2 this year and take it in year twelve with
Bio
Chem
Eng
Accounting
Maths methods

And have psychology done in year 11
( my concern with this is that I fell like I can't hand the work load)
Or

Bio
Chem
Eng
Acc
Psych

With MM done in year eleven
( this is a easier work load and I can get maths out of the way once and for all)'

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Urgent help with subject selection! ASAP
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:22:52 pm »
Hey I'm finishing up year 11 right now and I did (am doing) psych and accounting 3/4 :)
I also had the option of taking 3/4 methods in year 11 but chose to repeat 1/2 because I felt mentally unprepared for 3/4. I don't regret this decision at all because I had the whole year to revise key topics I struggled with last year, and having done the course already, I was able to "relax" in methods and focus my energy on my 3/4s.

From my experience, psych, although not difficult, was a rather content heavy subject and required a lot of time to really familiarise myself with the concepts discussed. I have friends doing bio who say bio is also very content heavy - probz even more so than psych.

Conclusion:
If you're the slightest unsure about your capabilities in methods, I would suggest you do either psych or bio in year 11. Especially if doing well in methods means a lot to you!

Annnnd accounting was uber chill and really fun. I regret not leaving it for next year! It would have been a (somewhat) break from vce stress :L

Oh and idk if this is relevant but both psych and accounting are subjects I picked up in year 11 with no prior experience :)

Just my two cents. Hope this helps with your subject selections! Good luck with that 99+ ;)

2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting