Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:50 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347834 times)  Share 

abhiroop.pal1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1275 on: December 04, 2018, 08:32:07 pm »
Hello!

He probably means that in the event that you're given two topics to study but only study one, you will find it harder to form a response because you didn't study that topic.

The resource compilation is here!

Best of luck for your assessment :-)

TYYYY

Muir.mclennan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1276 on: February 14, 2019, 04:37:32 pm »
Hey, I'm currently doing my National Study essay for Russia and the Soviet Union. My essay question is: To what extent was Bolshevik ideology central to the consolidation of power by 1924. Was just wondering what would be the best way to structure body paragraphs for this kind of question (event based, thematic etc.)? Thanks in advance

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1277 on: February 14, 2019, 05:03:38 pm »
+1
Hey, I'm currently doing my National Study essay for Russia and the Soviet Union. My essay question is: To what extent was Bolshevik ideology central to the consolidation of power by 1924. Was just wondering what would be the best way to structure body paragraphs for this kind of question (event based, thematic etc.)? Thanks in advance
Hey there,

While I didn't study Russia, our History lecturer Susie did! She uploaded a collection of essays she wrote so you may be able to find her essay on the consolidation of power and get an idea on how to structure it.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #1278 on: February 14, 2019, 09:25:26 pm »
+1
Hey there!

I did Russia, and with that sort of essay I was told to approach it with three key events/themes in the Bolshevik consolidation of power, starting with the event/themes mentioned in the question ie. TWE did NEP whatever whatever. In the case of ideology ie. practice vs theory, you test its applicability to each event in the BCoP ie. early sociopolitical reform where Bolshevik ideals remained a big part in decision making, while this drifted away to give way to a more pragmatic approach during the Civil War and NEP. imo you should try and do this chronologically so it flows better i guess?, and also in this way you find that you have the yes it did part first and nope it didnt part second. With this question you need to have a thorough understanding of Bolshevik ideology and how it differed to Marxist ideology since the question specifically asks for the former. Not the best advice (sorry) given that I tended to skip these and look for Stalinism questions, but hope this helps anyway :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

e2503

• Adventurer
« Reply #1279 on: February 28, 2019, 06:19:49 pm »
Hi everyone  :)

How do i form a well articulated response about whether a certain histrorical figure was a hero or not?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1280 on: February 28, 2019, 08:43:07 pm »
+2
Hi everyone  :)

How do i form a well articulated response about whether a certain historical figure was a hero or not?

Hello!

For any well-articulated response, you need to (1) make sure you have a clear argument, and (2) make sure you follow through with the argument throughout your response. There isn't a lot of time in an exam situation to actually have a solid plan but provided you do a quick outline and follow it you should be just fine.

Also keep in mind that you don't need fancy words for a band 6 essay!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough because it is soooooo much better to read a response with more - let's say 'simple language' - with a clear argument than one with tons of thesaurus words. This will probably help with what you're aiming for.

I would love to hear tips from others!

I hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

abhiroop.pal1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1281 on: March 21, 2019, 09:06:27 pm »
Hi guys!

I have a 30% weighted modern task which I needed help/advice on: A multi-modal task (25mks) and an annotated bibliography! (15mks)
My Bibliography should be of 6 PUBLISHED WORKS (books or journal articles) and 2 can be documentaries or academic websites. 3 of the 8 need to be annotated.

My research question I've come up with for ideology is: TO WHAT EXTENT DID THE STALIN AND HITLER DICTATORSHIPS ADHERE TO THEIR RESPECTIVE IDEOLOGIES: --> COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS!!!

QUESTIONS:
1. Where can I find great published sources? If anyone has sources on ideology or Hitler's dictatorship or Stalin's dictatorship, or a comparison of both please send a link or email me:
[email protected]
2. How do I annotate sources for usefulness & reliability?
3. For a 5 minute presentation, which aspects of ideology should I focus on (there isn't enough time to focus on everything!)
4. How do I integrate a little source analysis well into my presentation/speech?
5. Any general advice?

THANKS!!!
I am eternally grateful haha!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1282 on: March 21, 2019, 11:14:33 pm »
+8
Hi guys!

I have a 30% weighted modern task which I needed help/advice on: A multi-modal task (25mks) and an annotated bibliography! (15mks)
My Bibliography should be of 6 PUBLISHED WORKS (books or journal articles) and 2 can be documentaries or academic websites. 3 of the 8 need to be annotated.

My research question I've come up with for ideology is: TO WHAT EXTENT DID THE STALIN AND HITLER DICTATORSHIPS ADHERE TO THEIR RESPECTIVE IDEOLOGIES: --> COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS!!!

QUESTIONS:
1. Where can I find great published sources? If anyone has sources on ideology or Hitler's dictatorship or Stalin's dictatorship, or a comparison of both please send a link or email me:
[email protected]
2. How do I annotate sources for usefulness & reliability?
3. For a 5 minute presentation, which aspects of ideology should I focus on (there isn't enough time to focus on everything!)
4. How do I integrate a little source analysis well into my presentation/speech?
5. Any general advice?

THANKS!!!
I am eternally grateful haha!

Hi!

1. You can find journal articles on Google Scholar!
2. That's really up to you. Think about how you analyse a source and the points you may have - this will help! Does the source provide lots of relevant information? In terms of reliability, as you'll be looking at academic sources these researchers will have done extensive research on their topics. They are also coming from an academic perspective which while good (they have lots of access to resources) can also be limiting. I won't tell you why, you'll have to figure that one out for yourself hahaha.
3. I can't tell you which ones. Analyse your sources first and pick out the ones that are most common or you feel the most comfortable with talking about :-)
4. You can reference the source creator's name and say one or two sentences about their sources. I don't think that would take up too much time.
5. Not really, except for you'll be great! You have a very interesting question and happy researching!

Hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

e2503

• Adventurer
« Reply #1283 on: March 27, 2019, 11:53:53 pm »

Hello!

For any well-articulated response, you need to (1) make sure you have a clear argument, and (2) make sure you follow through with the argument throughout your response. There isn't a lot of time in an exam situation to actually have a solid plan but provided you do a quick outline and follow it you should be just fine.

Also keep in mind that you don't need fancy words for a band 6 essay!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough because it is soooooo much better to read a response with more - let's say 'simple language' - with a clear argument than one with tons of thesaurus words. This will probably help with what you're aiming for.

I would love to hear tips from others!

I hope this helps :-)

I`m so sorry for the late reply but thank you very much. Your advice was very helpful :) I will remeber to keep your tips in mind  :) :)

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #1284 on: April 19, 2019, 06:56:48 pm »
How are ya girls and boars

Love me some time off school with a 2 week long smoko! I just gotta say, I'm a huge bookworm. Now on this note, I just wanna ask, does anyone have any recommendations for books that relate to the new syllabus? I've already got meself a few books but I wanted to ask y'all here. My topics are:
- Nazi Germany
- Russia
- Conflict in Europe
- Cultural Revolution in China

Righto cheers y'all- I greatly appreciate it!

Jack

Anyone know any good podcasts for Nazi germany, Russia, Conflict in Europe or Chinese Cultural Revolution

Cheers, Jack
Modify message

Mod edit: Merged posts. Please use the 'Modify' button :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:39:31 pm by owidjaja »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1285 on: April 19, 2019, 07:03:45 pm »
+3
Anyone know any good podcasts for Nazi germany, Russia, Conflict in Europe or Chinese Cultural Revolution

Cheers, Jack
Hey there,

I made a resource list so you should be able to find some podcasts on Germany, Russia or Conflict in Europe.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

KC181

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1286 on: April 23, 2019, 10:30:16 pm »
Hello There!
My upcoming modern assessment is a comparative historical analysis (between Hitler and Stalin's dictatorship and we focus on a specific aspect + come up with our own question to guide it). What are some tips to ace a historical analysis and in particular a comparative historical analysis?
Thanks!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1287 on: April 28, 2019, 11:36:51 pm »
+2
Hello There!
My upcoming modern assessment is a comparative historical analysis (between Hitler and Stalin's dictatorship and we focus on a specific aspect + come up with our own question to guide it). What are some tips to ace a historical analysis and in particular a comparative historical analysis?
Thanks!
Hey there,

Sorry it took so long to respond!

The main thing I'd like to emphasise on is to make sure that you have a strong judgement! In fact, it should be in the first sentence to really show the markers that you're answering the question. This applies to all responses in Modern- short answers, source analysis, essays (unless they ask you to describe something but it's quite rare). The same thing also applies to a comparative historical analysis. Make sure you have a strong judgement and your assessment is consistent throughout your essay. The detail/evidence you include in each paragraph contributes to your assessment.

Also, if you have time, I'd recommend having a read, or at least skim-read, Alan Bullock's 'Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives.' If you don't have time, essentially Bullock argues that Hitler and Stalin are similar, the only difference was that they were on opposing sides in WW2 (ignoring the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact) and they were different geographically. But when you compare their regime, it's very similar. It's a very interesting read so I think it might be useful for your assessment (unfortunately, I never finished it because the book is around 1000 pages).

Hope this helps!

KC181

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1288 on: April 29, 2019, 01:32:23 pm »
Hey there,

Sorry it took so long to respond!

The main thing I'd like to emphasise on is to make sure that you have a strong judgement! In fact, it should be in the first sentence to really show the markers that you're answering the question. This applies to all responses in Modern- short answers, source analysis, essays (unless they ask you to describe something but it's quite rare). The same thing also applies to a comparative historical analysis. Make sure you have a strong judgement and your assessment is consistent throughout your essay. The detail/evidence you include in each paragraph contributes to your assessment.

Also, if you have time, I'd recommend having a read, or at least skim-read, Alan Bullock's 'Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives.' If you don't have time, essentially Bullock argues that Hitler and Stalin are similar, the only difference was that they were on opposing sides in WW2 (ignoring the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact) and they were different geographically. But when you compare their regime, it's very similar. It's a very interesting read so I think it might be useful for your assessment (unfortunately, I never finished it because the book is around 1000 pages).

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the help! Also just wondering, where did you manage to find and read 'Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives'?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1289 on: April 29, 2019, 02:17:39 pm »
Thank you so much for the help! Also just wondering, where did you manage to find and read 'Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives'?
I got my dad to borrow it from the uni library, but you can find it here at the State Library.