Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:55:27 am

Author Topic: HSC Chemistry - 07/11/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 1513 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Post all exam discussion, questions, and sample solutions for Chemistry here!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

lace02

• Adventurer
Re: HSC Chemistry - 07/11/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 03:58:57 pm »
How did everyone go?!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:33:14 pm »
Very good exam for the first year of the syllabus! I am pretty happy, bit relieved that there were almost no regurgitation of content for large marks. The calculations were a lot of fun (don't @ me ;D) and I figured most of them. Expecting my lowest mark to be 80, since I could have done some silly mistakes and some of my answers weren't great. For example, that 'compare the effect of enthalpy and entropy on solubility' question completely screwed me (was it 3 or 4 marks?- remember vaguely that it was 3) so I'm not sure. Overall, my best exam performance yet which is pretty great ;D. How about you?
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

jenjennie

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:03:59 pm »
everyone be yelling about how this exam was easy to the point i feel terrible. ive already dropped 2 marks off multiple choice (winged the last Q, actually got somewhere but turns out i was still wrong lmao i must be the only person in the whole STATE who picked D instead of B or C aka the right answer) as well as that weird as radioactivity question. don't know what that was but this dumbass said NEITHER would be radioactive lmao...
who knows what other stuff i lost from multiple choice ugh :((

on the brighter side there was not much module 8 and that's what i love to see. i am piss poor at that loooool and i got off so lucky, i only spent yesterday cramming like crazy after economics and expected to get like 60/100 whereas now im aiming for a eons higher mark so,,,
but then again, everyone found it super easy so bye scaling.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 05:13:50 pm »
everyone be yelling about how this exam was easy to the point i feel terrible. ive already dropped 2 marks off multiple choice (winged the last Q, actually got somewhere but turns out i was still wrong lmao i must be the only person in the whole STATE who picked D instead of B or C aka the right answer) as well as that weird as radioactivity question. don't know what that was but this dumbass said NEITHER would be radioactive lmao...
who knows what other stuff i lost from multiple choice ugh :((

on the brighter side there was not much module 8 and that's what i love to see. i am piss poor at that loooool and i got off so lucky, i only spent yesterday cramming like crazy after economics and expected to get like 60/100 whereas now im aiming for a eons higher mark so,,,
but then again, everyone found it super easy so bye scaling.

Can't really say for certain whether people found it easy or not, I definitely think some questions were a bit tricky to hand EG. where we had to find the concentration of \(\text{Cu}^\text{2+} \) and \(\text{Pb}^\text{2+} \) in ppm (mg/L), calculating the pH after two solutions were mixed, so on so forth ;D. SO whatever happens, I do think scaling would come in effect a bit, but we can never know until the marker's comments come out.  You'll definitely be fine!!! That multiple choice question at the end was hard as well, which I'm sure many would have gotten wrong as well! We just have to wait and see. Since it is the new syllabus, I'm sure the state will be a bit mediocre on performance but we can never know until marks get released. It's only a waiting game now ;D
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

jenjennie

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 05:59:21 pm »
Can't really say for certain whether people found it easy or not, I definitely think some questions were a bit tricky to hand EG. where we had to find the concentration of \(\text{Cu}^\text{2+} \) and \(\text{Pb}^\text{2+} \) in ppm (mg/L), calculating the pH after two solutions were mixed, so on so forth ;D. SO whatever happens, I do think scaling would come in effect a bit, but we can never know until the marker's comments come out.  You'll definitely be fine!!! That multiple choice question at the end was hard as well, which I'm sure many would have gotten wrong as well! We just have to wait and see. Since it is the new syllabus, I'm sure the state will be a bit mediocre on performance but we can never know until marks get released. It's only a waiting game now ;D

aww, thank you fam for the reassurance! i honestly don't know what that question was asking for (i.e. the concentration of copper one), initially i also calculated the concentration PRIOR to the water treatment but in the end i crossed that all out in favour of doing concentration after water treatment to see if it was under 1 mg or not lol. think i got one over one under. again, no idea if that's what they were asking for. i used a key for the graph, so yolo!

and yeah, honestly, even in easy exams there have got to be a few hard questions. but hopefully scaling still does its job. thanks again fam!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:01:59 pm by jenjennie »