Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 08:12:58 pm

Poll

Should I make a uni journal

yes
no

Author Topic: ✧ J_Rho's VCE Journey ✧  (Read 58547 times)

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
Re: JadeRhoden's Journey To A 90+ ATAR
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2019, 06:43:16 pm »
+5
omg following onto all of your comments above ^^^ i'm struggling with short answer as well !! it's so frustrating when you know the content, but you're not sure what aspects they are looking for :(

2019 vce journal here

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2019, 10:05:52 am »
:-[ you just explained pretty much exactly how i feel jeez.
It's so difficult to express my self in short answer questions :-\

That really sucks! I know how you feel at the moment, I have done about 16 exams an was never able to get above 70% aside from 1, so that really wasn't promising. I went into the year wanting a 45, but know all I want is over 35. I know the content and can recall is quite well, but my expression in the SA questions is just terrible..... I generally get close to full marks multiple choice which is good just the SA's is where it gets me....
I have kind of come to terms with it, so I am actually not feeling to stressed and quite calm whilst still just trying to study anything I can. I feel more disappointed than anything else, as I feel all my hard work throughout the year going down the drain. Other than that I feel fine, just waiting to get it over with, ripe of the band aid. ;)
I don't think you will get a 15 :P I definitely think you will do better than you think! I wish you luck and lets just be thankful that it will all be over soon...

omg following onto all of your comments above ^^^ i'm struggling with short answer as well !! it's so frustrating when you know the content, but you're not sure what aspects they are looking for :(

Guys, its TOMORROW. I'm actually getting so stressed thinking about it but at the same time i just wanna get the darn thing done! How are you all feeling??!!
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2019, 04:23:12 pm »
+2
How'd it go J_Rho ?
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2019, 04:27:42 pm »
+7
How'd it go J_Rho ?

It was hard but nowhere near as hard that I thought it would be. I got lucky with the question about block mutations as id been revising that as I was straightening my hair this morning but the last question was asking about limitations in regards to an experiment.... I had no IDEA what to put for my answer!
How did you go with your psych exam Ionic Doc???
— VCE —

— University —

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2019, 10:30:08 pm »
It was hard but nowhere near as hard that I thought it would be. I got lucky with the question about block mutations as id been revising that as I was straightening my hair this morning but the last question was asking about limitations in regards to an experiment.... I had no IDEA what to put for my answer!
How did you go with your psych exam Ionic Doc???

Hey J_Rho

Similar to you this exam was definitely harder than previous years.

Multiple Choice took a bit longer than expected, (a couple of questions where more than 1 option seemed correct)
short answer section was pretty straight forward and I feel like i did decent,
the extended response section was really general, I knew all the theory but linking back to the scenario was a hit difficult.

Overall just hoping I can get a study score greater or equal to 35.

On a positive note, no matter what happens I know that everyone who's done a 3/4 this year will have developed great skills and knowledge to prep them up for year 12.

So are your year 11 exams around the corner?

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2019, 08:58:13 am »
+2
Hey J_Rho

Similar to you this exam was definitely harder than previous years.

Multiple Choice took a bit longer than expected, (a couple of questions where more than 1 option seemed correct)
short answer section was pretty straight forward and I feel like i did decent,
the extended response section was really general, I knew all the theory but linking back to the scenario was a hit difficult.

Overall just hoping I can get a study score greater or equal to 35.

On a positive note, no matter what happens I know that everyone who's done a 3/4 this year will have developed great skills and knowledge to prep them up for year 12.

So are your year 11 exams around the corner?

I'm sure you've done great!  Bring on year twelllllllllve!
I have my yr11 exams in 2 weeks and I'm sure glad they don't count towards my S/N in my subjects tho, how about you what are your yr11 exams? Feeling prepared?
— VCE —

— University —

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2019, 04:57:24 pm »
+1
I'm sure you've done great!  Bring on year twelllllllllve!
I have my yr11 exams in 2 weeks and I'm sure glad they don't count towards my S/N in my subjects tho, how about you what are your yr11 exams? Feeling prepared?

My year 11 exams are this week,
Haven't had any time to prepare since I've been studying for psychology in the last few weeks.
I'll just give it my best go

Good luck with your upcoming exams

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2019, 10:28:29 am »
+1
Okay so I was going to do 3/4 Theatre Studies by distance but my school said no as it is 'too much of a resource commitment'
So now I have to choose my 5th subject...
Im already going to be completing English, Further, Psych and Legal and completed Bio this year
I need to chose one more subject but don't know what to do
I want to study Paramedicine or Law and for paramed i need an atar of 80 and law an atar of 94 so i need subjects that ill do REALLY well in....
Im not a strong english student (C+ average), but a strong legal student (A+ average) so idk what id do well in
What subject will be most beneficial/ allow me to do really well in out of the following
Economics, HHD, Global Politics or Software Development?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:48:52 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2019, 09:00:18 am »
+10
I'm wanting to get ahead during the summer holidays, and want to be smart about it...
For Legal Studies and Psychology, I'm making chapter summaries and flashcards.
For English, I'm going to read and annotate my books and make cue cards with quotes on them and write a practice essay or two if I have time
For Maths, part of me wants to just do the textbook questions when I find out the chapters we will be completed but I've heard from others that it isn't very beneficial.
I'm open to suggestions on how to get ahead, particularly for maths.
Also what lectures are most beneficial? The head start ones or the revision ones?

TL;DR Whats the best way to get ahead during summer hols for my subjects? ( I'm thinking about covering all course work)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Exam Week - 18 Nov 2019 to 21 Nov 2019

With the Year 11 exams nearly upon me, I'm not stressing about them nearly as much as I maybe should but rather I'm stressing about the fact I am technically in Year 12 in 8 days, hell it feels like I was in Year 7 yesterday.
With this overwhelming realisation that I will soon be making my way into my final year of school and the pressure I'm placing on myself to become dux I began thinking how on earth do I separate myself from the others? How can I do the best I can but be better than everyone else? How do I achieve excellence from my very first assessment? After hours of stressfully searching the internet and finding thread after thread and articles on 'How I achieved a 50' and 'How I went from D+ to A+' I perhaps am feeling maybe I can achieve this...maybe I'm not being too unrealistic on myself but then again some of the students in my year level... have never gotten below a B+ or A so then again maybe I am being unrealistic because honestly, I know and ATAR is just a number but I want to show everyone that I am smart and dedicated and show the teachers who have said that I am not high achieving, that I am... to be the ultimate fuck off.

With that little rant over, just gonna say IDC at this point about my year 11 exams which is really bad. I should care but i don't cause I just want it to be holidays so I can focus on getting ahead for Year 12.

I haven't updated this in way too long, and NGL nothing has really been happening but Ill be back sometime next week to update ya'll on my goals for Year 12  8)

and a joke to brighten up your day
A pun, a play on words, and a limerick walk into a bar....no joke
— VCE —

— University —

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2019, 12:09:38 pm »
+7
With Year 12 almost upon me I think its time for a (much needed) update!
Following the same format I had last year going into Year 11 here are my subjects, goals, and way to acheive my goals. The next 10 months are going to be insane, stressful but I'm hella excited (and scared) to be going into my final year of school!

My subjects for 2020 are;
3&4 English
3&4 Further Maths
3&4 Legal Studies
3&4 Psychology
3&4 HHD

My goals for 2020:
Exercise every day for the recommended 90 minutes
Aim/Acheive for 95+% on all assessments
Write an essay a week
Acheive my study score goals: English (37), Further (47), Psychology (45), Legal (47), HHD (45)
Update my journal regularly  8)

Ways to acheive my goals
Use Sundays to revise all my notes from all my subjects
Test myself regularly (spaced repitition) using flash cards
Aim to complete homework the day it is recieved
Study 5 hours a week per subject
Complete checkpoints and topic tests regularly
Skim through coursework over the summer holidays - creating notes and flashcards
Have a study timetable to regulate my spaced repitition learning and assign time to write an essay

Code: [Select]
[b]Date:[/b]

[b]Classes:[/b]
*What classes you had, what you worked on, what you enjoyed/found difficult, rate your productivity

[b]Homework/To-Do:[/b]
*what you have to complete with due dates

[b]Work/Social:[/b]
*Talk about work; how often you worked, funny stories, annoying things
*talk about ses; how was training, what did you do, have you attened any incidents recently, funny stories etc.

[b]Goals:[/b]
*Address what you're doing well and what needs to improve
Eg. Exercise every day for the recommended 90 minutes
Write an essay a week
Acheive my study score goals: English (37), Further (47), Psychology (45), Legal (47), HHD (45)
Skim through coursework over the summer holidays - creating notes and flashcards
Have a study timetable to regulate my spaced repitition learning and assign time to write an essay
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:17:48 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2019, 10:42:29 pm »
+8
.maybe I'm not being too unrealistic on myself but then again some of the students in my year level... have never gotten below a B+ or A so then again maybe I am being unrealistic because honestly, I know and ATAR is just a number but I want to show everyone that I am smart and dedicated and show the teachers who have said that I am not high achieving, that I am
Hey J_Rho, just wanted to chip in here to say that while it's great that you're aiming high for next year, placing unnecessary stress on yourself isn't. At the end of the day, I think that the most important thing is to try to do your best, not necessarily be the best. Besides, I think that the main thing is to work hard but also smart and the results will follow! Obsessing about others in your cohort who could do well in Yr 12, won't bring you closer to your own goals. But, focussing on yourself and your own study habits will ;)

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 05:07:08 pm by Snow Leopard »

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2019, 10:55:57 am »
+7
Hey J_Rho, just wanted to chip in here to say that while it's great that you're aiming high for next year, placing unnecessary stress on yourself isn't. At the end of the day, I think that the most important thing is to try to do your best, not necessarily be the best. Besides, I think that the main thing is to work hard but also smart and the results will follow! Obsessing about others in your cohort who could do well in Yr 12, won't bring you closer to your own goals. But, focussing on yourself and your own study habits will ;)

EDIT: typo

Thank you Snow Leopard :)

School Holidays Update
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have a list of tasks I want to get done in the next few weeks which will enable me to use the last 2 weeks of school holidays to revise my notes and prepare for school! I am really excited but also stressed but I'm trying to get rid of my stress and focus on doing my best! I have rethought my goals and create actionable steps to help me achieve my best which is hopefully a 90+ ATAR.

GOAL: 94+ ATAR
Mini Goal #1: Maintain physical and Mental Health
Mini Goal #1:
Maintain physical and mental health

Strategies
Follow an exercise routine
Meditate for 15 minutes each day
Read for an hour before bed
Drink 2L of water a day
Go to bed at 10 pm and wake at 6 am

Mini Goal #2: 97% Grade Average for Further Maths, HHD, Psychology and Legal
Mini Goal #2:
97% Grade average in Further Maths, HHD, Psychology and Legal

Strategies
Complete checkpoints and topic tests after every topic/AOS
Complete a practise exam a week (starting July)
Revise all notes every Sunday
Stay ahead and ask for extra work
Document mistakes made

Mini Goal #3: 95% Grade Average in English
Mini Goal #3:
95% Grade Average in English

Strategies
Write an essay a week and get it marked
Read texts 4-5 times: 1st Reading - Basic Understanding; 2nd reading - Annotate; 3rd and 4th Reading - Deep Understanding; 5th reading - Refresh Memory
Ask questions and get regular feedback form teacher
Document mistakes and weaknesses
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:58:55 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2020, 10:19:42 am »
+13
J_Rho's VCE Journey

Part 2 (Year 12)
Happy New Year!

Due to my "new year, new start" mentality I'm doing a little recap/intro thing to get me back into the school focused mindset and as an intro into the second part of my VCE journey - Year 12 - dun dun dahhhh.
Going into this year is daunting, to say the least, and honestly, I'm not ready to do year 12 - I want to go back to Year 7 where it was chill and the work was easy and I could muck around a little in class and it didn't matter but alas I'm getting older and I've reached my final year. To all the other Year 12's or those doing a 3/4 subject; lets rock this shit. Our own hard work determines where we go and to be completely honest I didn't take my 3/4 subject very seriously I was just vibing and then towards the end of the year, I started realising oh shit, if I got a good study score my ATAR would be better then if I got a lousy study score - now I always knew this but it never really hit home so to speak. So this year I'll be taking 5 subjects and pretending as if I didn't do a 3/4 because my score was so bad imma pretend it neverrr happeneddddd.

Subjects

English: Look, I'm crap at English, I can't write an essay to save my life - I love and am good at reading but writing yeah nah. The higest I've scored on an essay is a B, and we were given the prompt on Friday so I had the weekend to write an essay and memorise it so i don't think it even counts. English is probably going to be a difficult subject but I think I can really improve with hard work.

Further Maths: I wanted to do methods but my school wouldn't allow me to as I hadn't done 1/2 (because it clashed with my 3/4 last year) so that toats sucks but I have very high goals for this subject I KNOW with hard work I can be getting those 100%'s like yeah yr 12 is harder but last year with a little revision I can get  95%+ like come on not to blow my own horn but I got the top-scoring result in the mid-year exam and I DIDNT EVEN HAVE A CALCULATOR. I'd love a 45+ in this subject but tbh I'm not really caring about numbers I'm just gonna aim for (and study for) 100% on assessments and see where that gets me.

Legal Studies: I love Legal. The teacher is good, I seemed to have a natural affinity for it last year (perhaps cause it's really relatable to everyday life) the Year 12 content seems hard but not too hard and I'm super keen. The teacher actually wants us to do well which is awesome cause most other teachers just want us to pass. I'd love to come out with a 45+ study score as I think this is one of my strongest subjects.

Psychology: Last year, the class was a flop. The teachers...teaching style...was different and to put it in perspective, our class learnt more in a class with a substitute teacher then we had the whole year. Anyways, we have a new teacher! my Bio teacher, now I know i complain about teacher a fair but but he really honestly just reads off powerpoints and it sucks but hopefully this year is better! I like-ish this subject but It's a bit ehh

Health and Human Development: Ahhhh look, I don't wanna be in this class. It's full of all the students who don't care which is good but bad - 'easier' for me to be rank 1 but horrible to be surrounded by people that don't care. I'm doing this subject cause I basically had no other choice. Hopefully, I'll find some interest to make studying for it a little better.

School Goals
My goal is to do well, look after myself and have fun. That's a little more wholesome than "my goal is to achieve a 90+ ATAR'
Basically my school goal is a 90+ ATAR and the title of dux - its gonna be motherfking hard but I'm willing to work for it...i mean im literally about to start on making unit 3 notes for HHD and I've already started Psych, and Legal
GOAL: 94+ ATAR
Mini Goal #1: Maintain physical and Mental Health
Mini Goal #1:
Maintain physical and mental health

Strategies
Follow an exercise routine
Meditate for 15 minutes each day
Read for an hour before bed
Drink 2L of water a day
Go to bed at 10 pm and wake at 6 am

Mini Goal #2: 97% Grade Average for Further Maths, HHD, Psychology and Legal
Mini Goal #2:
97% Grade average in Further Maths, HHD, Psychology and Legal

Strategies
Complete checkpoints and topic tests after every topic/AOS
Revise all notes every Sunday
Stay ahead and ask for extra work
Document mistakes made

Mini Goal #3: 95% Grade Average in English
Mini Goal #3:
95% Grade Average in English

Strategies
Write an essay a week and get it marked
Read texts 4-5 times: 1st Reading - Basic Understanding; 2nd reading - Annotate; 3rd and 4th Reading - Deep Understanding; 5th reading - Refresh Memory
Ask questions and get regular feedback form teacher
Document mistakes and weaknesses

Other Goals
My goal for outside of school is to do a lot more within my community, namely VICSES, I want to make an impact this year and beyond in the community engagement and juniors areas. I also want to get my P's by my birthday week and make 10 grand by the end of the year.

Post Format
Code: [Select]
[b]Date:[/b]

[b]Classes:[/b]
*What classes you had, what you worked on, what you enjoyed/found difficult, rate your productivity

[b]Homework/To-Do:[/b]
*what you have to complete with due dates

[b]Work/Social:[/b]
*Talk about work; how often you worked, funny stories, annoying things
*talk about ses; how was training, what did you do, have you attened any incidents recently, funny stories etc.

[b]Goals:[/b]
*Address what you're doing well and what needs to improve
Eg. Exercise every day for the recommended 90 minutes
Write an essay a week

It's going to be a big fun year.
Your hard yards determine your place  - Don't wait for motivation, persistence will always win.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:45:56 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2020, 06:15:48 pm »
I'm not ready to do year 12 - I want to go back to Year 7 where it was chill and the work was easy and I could muck around a little in class and it didn't matter but alas I'm getting older and I've reached my final year.
I think about this a lot and I just wish I could time travel and relive those happy days, where there were more laughs than cry fests. You're nearly there! Just keep pushing and you'll emerge a warrior!

i mean im literally about to start on making unit 3 notes for HHD and I've already started Psych, and Legal
Wow, you're so ahead! That's great! It's pushing me to finish my chemistry homework!

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2020, 07:23:13 pm »
+2
I think about this a lot and I just wish I could time travel and relive those happy days, where there were more laughs than cry fests. You're nearly there! Just keep pushing and you'll emerge a warrior!
hahah yes i miss how fun the science lessons were and how easy the maths was!! Thanks for the motivation!

Wow, you're so ahead! That's great! It's pushing me to finish my chemistry homework!
Yes, you'll get there! How are you finding the chemistry work?

— VCE —

— University —