Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:20:24 pm

Poll

Which VCE subject would you prefer to do?

English
9 (17.3%)
Maths Methods
16 (30.8%)
Chemistry
13 (25%)
Legal Studies
7 (13.5%)
History Revolutions
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Bean's Tumultuous Year 12 Journey  (Read 12077 times)

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
Re: Bean's Tumultuous Year 12 Journey
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 07:18:15 pm »
+2
Hey!! Guess who is a keen bean to follow along your journey?? Me! This journal sounds like it is going to be amazing!!

What are your passions, dreams and future aspirations? How do you think you have kept a clear, level head (because I haven’t haha) throughout this tumultuous journey? And what strategies have you used to study for sacs in advance?

I also love the writing subjects better, and that’s where I always thrived as well, because you have more freedom and opportunities to showcase your ideas and views, and show who you are. But yes, I totally resonate with the ‘breath of fresh air’ feeling since the variety of subjects helps make learning more enjoyable and less tedious, and yes, my poor hand after writing so much!

And I am a huge reader, or was, until VCE hit. I haven’t read an actual book in what feels like forever.  I think you would have flourished in Lit but it’s okay! You can pick it up later on!

My favourite books have no doubt been any of Cassandra Clare's books, especially The Infernal Devices which I literally used to fangirl over so much. I also enjoy reading historical fiction, as I'm definitely a bit of a history nerd at heart.  ; D The Book Thief is also another one of my all time favourite books as it sits in this genre. It's honestly so tempting for me to just procrastinate by reading, but then I'd never get any work done. As an avid bookworm, I can't wait for this year to be over so that I'll be able to sit down with a good book and not feel guilty about it.

OH MY GOSH YESSSSSS!!!!! THOSE BOOKS WILL ALWAYS, ALWAYS BE MY NUMBER ONE. So thrilled that you and Owlbird love them too! What are your historical fiction recommendations?? I loved The Book Thief too! I’ll never forget that book. I cannot wait to start reading again as well, it’s honestly so sad never being able to read. I used to read a so many of books in a ridiculous amount of time.

Take care and really excited for more x

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 07:24:48 pm »
+2
My favourite books have no doubt been any of Cassandra Clare's books, especially The Infernal Devices which I literally used to fangirl over so much. I also enjoy reading historical fiction, as I'm definitely a bit of a history nerd at heart.  ; D The Book Thief is also another one of my all time favourite books as it sits in this genre. It's honestly so tempting for me to just procrastinate by reading, but then I'd never get any work done. As an avid bookworm, I can't wait for this year to be over so that I'll be able to sit down with a good book and not feel guilty about it.
OH MY GOSH YESSSSSS!!!!! THOSE BOOKS WILL ALWAYS, ALWAYS BE MY NUMBER ONE. So thrilled that you and Owlbird love them too! What are your historical fiction recommendations?? I loved The Book Thief too! I’ll never forget that book. I cannot wait to start reading again as well, it’s honestly so sad never being able to read. I used to read a so many of books in a ridiculous amount of time.
The Book Thief is SO GOOD! Do you like dystopian fiction or fantasy?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 07:42:49 pm »
+1

Oh my goodness! I LOVE THE BOOK THEIF and dystopian fiction in general!! Can't wait to hear your answer to this smallbean.  ;D

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 07:44:30 pm »
+1
Oh my goodness! I LOVE THE BOOK THEIF and dystopian fiction in general!! Can't wait to hear your answer to this smallbean.  ;D
have you guys read the shatter me series? How about Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses (acotar technically isn't dystopian but it's still AMAZINGGGGG)

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 07:49:25 pm »
+1
Hi smallbean! I really like your journal and I too am a keen bean to join you on your journey ;D

smallbean

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 11:15:48 pm »
+1
Hey!! Guess who is a keen bean to follow along your journey?? Me! This journal sounds like it is going to be amazing!!

What are your passions, dreams and future aspirations? How do you think you have kept a clear, level head (because I haven’t haha) throughout this tumultuous journey? And what strategies have you used to study for sacs in advance?

I also love the writing subjects better, and that’s where I always thrived as well, because you have more freedom and opportunities to showcase your ideas and views, and show who you are. But yes, I totally resonate with the ‘breath of fresh air’ feeling since the variety of subjects helps make learning more enjoyable and less tedious, and yes, my poor hand after writing so much!

And I am a huge reader, or was, until VCE hit. I haven’t read an actual book in what feels like forever.  I think you would have flourished in Lit but it’s okay! You can pick it up later on!

Take care and really excited for more x

Hi Mango!
I'm so happy that you've come along for the journey.  :) I've been a fan of your journal entries ever since you've started writing them.
In terms of passions, dreams and future aspirations, I am very passionate about helping other people and dream of a career where I will be able to make a positive difference to this world. I can only dream of a career in Medicine and becoming a doctor, as the requirements are sky high. Music is also one of my passions, as I'm frequently involved in my school bands and love the freedom of expression that performing offers. However, I don't think I would pursue music as a career as it's more of a hobby to me.

I think I've kept a clear, level head throughout this journey through trying to find confidence in myself. If I have studied for an assessment, I instantly feel more confident. (Postive self-talk helps a lot for confidence, as sometimes I'll repeatedly mutter encouragement to myself in my head before a SAC until I actually believe what I'm saying).

I also try and avoid those people that panic before a SAC and talk about how screwed they are because frankly, there's always going to be that one person that triggers a host of nerves just by stressing everyone else out. Those people are simply not worth my time before an assessment and nothing should deter me from doing my best. It's so so important to also focus on your physical and mental health. In fact, I always take some time to de-stress by either taking or walk or going for a run whenever I feel like the pressure is mounting. If exercise isn't your thing, I'd recommend doing some light stretching or simply watching some youtube videos that will put a smile on your face. 

In terms of studying for SACs in advance, I keep a diary in which I jot down whenever I have an assessment. I try and study at least a week before a SAC so that the information sinks in and I feel comfortable with the content. This is especially the case for the content-heaving subjects I'm doing.  Sometimes procrastination comes and rears its ugly head, but I just remind myself why I study in the first place and the hope of that 90+ ATAR that I cling to for dear life haha. I also like to visualise how happy I'll be before the SAC if I know that I've been well-prepared. Also, Studytubers like Unjaded Jade and Ruby Granger also are a gift to this world because they put me in the mood for studying and I just admire how amazing their work ethic is.

I can totally relate to the struggles of being a reader but literally having NO TIME to read because Year 12 is literally taking up all of my time. I'M SO GLAD YOU ALSO LOVE THOSE BOOKS TOO!! A FELLOW MUNDANE FANGIRL!! Cassandra Clare's books literally made me cry like a baby because I fell in love with the characters and got so invested haha. My historical fiction recommendation in 'The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue', it's one of those books that makes you feel all warm and fluffy inside and also addresses a lot of important issues such as racism etc...

Good luck with your studies, and you'll be hearing from me soon! xx

~Class of 2019~
2018: Chinese {SL}

2019: English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, Legal Studies, History Revolutions

2021-2023: Bachelor of Arts @Melb Uni

smallbean

• Trailblazer
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 11:18:28 pm »

Hey homeworkisapotato (I love your username btw)

I KNOW RIGHT!! It was one of those books that just hit me like a tonne of bricks on some many levels and still manages to stick with me even after so many years of reading it. I LOVE dystopian fiction (Divergent, Hunger Games etc) and live for fantasy as well. A Sarah J. Maas 'A court of thorns and roses' fangirl right here.  ;D
The 'Shatter Me' series seems so good and I've always wanted to read it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:20:06 pm by smallbean »
~Class of 2019~

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »
+1
Hey homeworkisapotato (I love your username btw)

I KNOW RIGHT!! It was one of those books that just hit me like a tonne of bricks on some many levels and still manages to stick with me even after so many years of reading it. I LOVE dystopian fiction (Divergent, Hunger Games etc) and live for fantasy as well. A Sarah J. Maas 'A court of thorns and roses' fangirl right here.  ;D
The 'Shatter Me' series seems so good and I've always wanted to read it.
ahaha thank you! I also really like the acotar series... the second half of acomaf and first half of acowar is probably my favourite part of the series. Shatter me is sooo good but the final book is coming out next year which is irritating. I've just started reading Cruel Prince by Holly Black and so far it's been pretty good. Have you read it?

smallbean

• Trailblazer
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 05:24:19 pm »
ahaha thank you! I also really like the acotar series... the second half of acomaf and first half of acowar is probably my favourite part of the series. Shatter me is sooo good but the final book is coming out next year which is irritating. I've just started reading Cruel Prince by Holly Black and so far it's been pretty good. Have you read it?

I love the acotar series too! It's one that I've finished reading and acomaf was my favourite. I haven't read Cruel Prince yet, but I'll definitely add it to my list of books to read after I finish my exams at the end of the year.
~Class of 2019~

smallbean

• Trailblazer
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 10:31:51 pm »
+5
24 June 2019

Hey guys!

First and foremost, I’d like to say thank you so much to all those that took the precious time out of their day to reply to my first post. I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.
When I wrote my first journal entry, little did I know that I’d have so many keen beans joining me on this journey for the next few months. Get ready, because we are truly in for a wild ride.

Today I thought that I’d give a little run down of the events earlier this year that have lead to where I am now in order to follow on from my introduction in the first journal entry. Let’s take a quick glance at my experience thus far in Year 12:

Term 1:

I went into this term determined to overcome the myriad of challenges that I would be faced with throughout the year. Deep down my feelings of confidence were inextricably laced with feelings of fear, fear of failure and a fear of letting down those around me. It is one thing to have a goal of a high ATAR, but another challenge entirely to achieve a number that I’ve envisioned so visibly in my mind whenever things get tough.

The SACs came at me full speed as soon as the year started. I remember trying to stay calm when my teachers announced my SAC dates and I found out that I had three SACs in the span of two days, whilst those around me weren’t as fazed due to having their SACs evenly spaced out. (Yay, the perks of sticking out like a sore thumb by doing both the humanities and a two STEM subjects that often clash in terms of assessments).

Miraculously, I managed to survive this term and emerged unscathed and somehow also found the opportunity amidst my hectic schedule to turn up to band rehearsals in between. Running on 6 hours a sleep some days was perhaps one of the biggest setbacks though, as I often found my eyes feeling heavy and almost gave into the sweet, sweet temptation of sleep even when the teacher was teaching us something that I would definitely regret not listening to. If only we could have ‘nap time’ in year twelve like we did in kindergarten.

The main highlight of this first term:

-Formal. It was worth all the hype in the lead up, as I had an amazing night filled with laughter, dancing and smiling until my face felt sore. (It still hurt to smile for several days after lol). Looking back, the memories that I made with friends that night will stay with me for years to come. Formal will definitely be in my list of things that I’ll miss the most about school.

Term 2:

I remember feelings very underprepared for the onslaught of SACs that would ensue. One of my teachers even warned me that  Term 2 was apparently the most stressful terms of the year in terms of the rising workload. However, I found that Term 2 was better than Term 1 in that the mere word ‘SAC’ did not elicit fear within me, but rather an urge to commit to studying and get organised as soon as possible. Having two assessments in a day the previous term definitely prepared me in terms of what to expect and how to prepare. (Thank god I narrowly missed having 3 SACs in one day).

I was even able to loosen up a little and went to a couple of my friends’ 18th birthday parties which taught me the importance of balance. I think sometimes it’s so easy to forget to take time to have moments of enjoyment and fun with the people that you care about, especially when the end goal of the ATAR starts to cloud every aspect of your vision. I’ll only ever get one final year of school and I know that it’ll be a lot harder to keep in contact with my friends and classmates once school ends. I really should make the most of the connections that I still have.

This term, I found that my motivating was dimming. I found myself becoming overwhelmed with floods of doubt that did not seem to ease. Doubt about whether I would even get into my desired courses and about letting my parents down when all they’ve given me is endless support and words of encouragement.
As an introvert, I tend to bottle my feelings up and have an extremely hard time opening up to anyone. Waves of procrastination would come and go, and I felt myself unrelentingly becoming mad at myself whenever I didn’t complete the tasks that I had set out to do. I hardly ever talk to anyone about how I feel on the inside, to the point that it’s almost becoming detrimental.
Term 2 has come to an end, and I will use these next few weeks of school holidays to try and gain back traction and to also lay out a solid framework for the next term, the last full term before a graduate.  Hopefully my motivation will rekindle itself when I need it the most.

Side Note: The UCAT is also fast approaching, in less than a few weeks. I really need to get my act together and do more preparation because at this rate, I don’t think I will do well at all because I’ve barely scratched the surface.

Now for the main highlight of Term 2:

-Sitting the GAT. (I know this seems like the opposite of a highlight haha, but hear me out). Now I was one of those people that did not bring a dictionary, and went into the GAT feeling confident that I would know all the necessary vocabulary. Then I was instantly hit in the face with the word ‘jocularity’ and other words for which I did not even have a clue what they even meant.
 It was actually quite amusing, because I remember telling one of my friends literally two second before walking into the examination room that I did not need a dictionary at all.
For some reason, I really enjoyed doing the GAT the writing tasks,as this year’s ones were SO much better than last year’s one. It also helps that I enjoy writing. Also, the memes that emerged made every single second the three hours of my life that I’ll never get back worth it. The reason why the GAT was a highlight for me was because it was an event that everyone sitting a 3/4 subject had to endure, but all somehow turned it into a positive event with all the hilarious GAT memes and jokes that gave me probably one of the best laughs that I’ve had in years. The thought that I never have to do some of the unnecessarily difficult questions in the GAT again also makes me feel very joyous.

—————————————

Wow, that was a very long journal post haha. It’s just so hard to sum everything up that has happened to me so far this year in a few paragraphs. I could literally write a novel about my first semester.
I also want to have this journal to reflect on and reminisce after Year 12 and will try and update it as frequently as possible.

Well that’s it for now. I really hope that I can stop procrastinating and will try and have a productive week.

~Class of 2019~

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 04:18:31 pm »
+1
24 June 2019
This term, I found that my motivating was dimming. I found myself becoming overwhelmed with floods of doubt that did not seem to ease. Doubt about whether I would even get into my desired courses and about letting my parents down when all they’ve given me is endless support and words of encouragement.

Hey smallbean! It's nice to see that you are having fun while still studying. Whenever I scroll through journal entries and posts and stuff, a common trend I notice is that people tend to lose motivation in Term 2. This is completely normal and you're not the only one.  Self-doubts and fear of letting others down through personal failures are something I go through too even though I'm only in Year 10. I think remembering your end goal and maybe taking a break if you are having a burnout is a good way of recovering your motivation. As for the letting your parents down, I'm sure your parents will be proud of you regardless of your ATAR as long as they know you are putting in all of your effort in your work. Don't give up and keep punching your way through Year 12, but don't be afraid of taking a breather from studies if you have to! You have a lot in life waiting for you! We all like happy beans, not shrivelled beans so be confident in yourself and proud ;)

"Believe in your infinite potential. Your only limitations are those you set upon yourself. Believe in yourself, your abilities and your potential. Never let self-doubt hold you captive. You are worthy of all you dream of and hope for."
- Roy T. Bennett, The Light In The Heart

smallbean

• Trailblazer
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 06:17:12 pm »
+1
Hey smallbean! It's nice to see that you are having fun while still studying. Whenever I scroll through journal entries and posts and stuff, a common trend I notice is that people tend to lose motivation in Term 2. This is completely normal and you're not the only one.  Self-doubts and fear of letting others down through personal failures are something I go through too even though I'm only in Year 10. I think remembering your end goal and maybe taking a break if you are having a burnout is a good way of recovering your motivation. As for the letting your parents down, I'm sure your parents will be proud of you regardless of your ATAR as long as they know you are putting in all of your effort in your work. Don't give up and keep punching your way through Year 12, but don't be afraid of taking a breather from studies if you have to! You have a lot in life waiting for you! We all like happy beans, not shrivelled beans so be confident in yourself and proud ;)

"Believe in your infinite potential. Your only limitations are those you set upon yourself. Believe in yourself, your abilities and your potential. Never let self-doubt hold you captive. You are worthy of all you dream of and hope for."
- Roy T. Bennett, The Light In The Heart

Hey homeworkisapotato!

Thank you so much for your kind words and reassurance. I totally agree with you, as Term 2 is where everything hits us students like a ton of bricks and it's so so important to just take a breather in order to avoid burnout. I'll keep persevering through the rest of the year (through the tumultuous next four months) and try my best to find intrinsic motivations that do not simply stem from the expectations of those around me.
I'll hopefully finish this year as a happy bean if I just simply believe in my own abilities and potential. I love the quote you found as it speaks to me on so many levels.
~Class of 2019~

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 06:33:47 pm »
+1
...as Term 2 is where everything hits us students like a ton of bricks and it's so so important to just take a breather in order to avoid burnout. I'll keep persevering through the rest of the year (through the tumultuous next four months) and try my best to find intrinsic motivations that do not simply stem from the expectations of those around me.

Wise words! Wishing you the best of luck along your final stretch of school in finding that intrinsic motivation.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 09:00:17 pm »
+1

Also, Studytubers like Unjaded Jade and Ruby Granger also are a gift to this world because they put me in the mood for studying and I just admire how amazing their work ethic is.

I thought I was the only one from Australia to see their videos!

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 11:09:49 pm »
+1
As an introvert, I tend to bottle my feelings up and have an extremely hard time opening up to anyone. Waves of procrastination would come and go, and I felt myself unrelentingly becoming mad at myself whenever I didn’t complete the tasks that I had set out to do. I hardly ever talk to anyone about how I feel on the inside, to the point that it’s almost becoming detrimental.

As someone who score 96% introverted on the 16personalities test, I totally feel you.

It's so hard to become self-reliant even with exams looming closer and closer but I think sometimes it's necessary to push ourselves out there and talk to others so that they can keep us accountable when we can't. It's scary, definitely, but I think the benefits in the long run far outweighs how intimidating opening up to others is. It's something I've been forcing myself to work on for ages, and I've noticed that once you take the first step things become a lot easier! Don't be afraid to talk to others, though I can totally understand how scary it may seem.

Also, revs and legal seem like fun subjects! Humanities subjects are underrated but they're the best. ;D
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics