Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:05:57 am

Author Topic: What happens if you fake legal cases?  (Read 2188 times)  Share 

90atarmaybe

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
What happens if you fake legal cases?
« on: October 21, 2018, 12:06:47 am »
Do they or can they check the cases you include in the HSC exam?

If they can or do, are there like guidelines for such? Like, will you get an automatic zero or will marks be deducted or is it based on the discretion of the marker or will nothing happen?  ???

Asking for a friend.....  :D

dazza2020

• Adventurer
Re: What happens if you fake legal cases?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:36:46 am »
well I know people who've faked names of professionals in the past and have done pretty well... In general obvs try remember all your cases because if markers see cases which hold particular relevance this gives them an impression you have a better impression of the law, however you'll be fine fitting in fake cases etc. without getting caught if theres only one or two per essay...
HSC 2016: IPT (91)
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Physics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR Goal: 99.3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 01:32:21 pm »
^ Yeah, I think overall it's an issue of saving face. If you are spotted using fake cases (it's easy to tell a lot of the time, same with media articles) then the marker questions your knowledge and your argument more. Even if there is no direct consequence, they become more critical. I'd be avoiding it ;D

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »
isaac delatorre faked his business studies case study and still got 95 as his final mark. Although it is very risky if you are skilled enough to convince the marker that it is true and that it is not obvious that you faked the case study than maybe you get away with it? But I think luck could have a factor since markers have literally thousands of papers to mark so they are probably mentally tired and won't even bother... heck I even check NESA's booklet for english and the exemplar actual band 6 response have students making up quotes on the spot or inaccurate quoting but still get full marks (heck even some of the related texts don't even exist but sounds legitimate enough)... I am not encouraging you to do this of course but you get my point..

For business studies I think to an extent its actually alright to fake case studies by using 'hypothetical' businesses to illustrate your point, but in legal studies, cases play a much larger role as you're using it to criticise the effectiveness of the law, and thus tbh unless it's an EXTREME situation I really wouldn't.

But you're right about the latter, I've read exemplar legal band 6 essays from the NESA book and people have had the wrong years for legislation and mixed up cases, yet these are the published responses in NESA's OWN book.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 05:15:15 pm »
But you're right about the latter, I've read exemplar legal band 6 essays from the NESA book and people have had the wrong years for legislation and mixed up cases, yet these are the published responses in NESA's OWN book.

I think this highlights that markers don't expect perfection! Like, the key is demonstrating a solid argument with evidence. If your essay is 25/25, they won't take that off you for a mixed up year in a citation ;D

90atarmaybe

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:42:39 pm »
+3
UPDATE: didnt end up faking cases! YEEETT  :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 10:51:51 pm »
+5