Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:10:17 pm

Author Topic: Laptop for Uni!  (Read 4711 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Laptop for Uni!
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:05:35 pm »
+14
The laptop that you’ll get for university depends on what degree that you’ll be doing. 

For writing subjects such as Law, Commerce, IT (information technology), CS (Computer Science), Medicine, Education, Arts (Social and Creative Writing) and medical science, a fairly standard computer can be used. Software such as Microsoft package, Adobe Reader, Chrome and software development tools (Eclipse, Visio, Blue J) will be used.

**Minimum requirements means that it runs, but it may not do it smoothly**

Here are the requirements. 

.(4 Gigs of RAM and a 2.4 GHz dual core processor should be sufficient)
Some laptops I would recommend are (prices are less than 500):
-   Acer Swift 1
-   Lenovo Thinkpad
-   Lenovo IdeaPads
-   HP Pentium Laptops (lower end)

For subjects such as Engineering, Design, Architecture, Arts (Media, production and Journalism). Software such as Photoshop, Matlab, Autocad, Maya, Mathematica, Avid, Adobe software and Google Sketchup will be used. 
If you aren’t familiar with the above software, they are very resource intensive and require a powerful tool.

(At least 4GB of RAM with a multi core processor that is above 2.4GHz AND a decent video card).
Some laptops that I would recommend (Prices are above $700 to $2000) are:
-   Macbook
-   Dell Inspiron
-   Microsoft Surface Tablet
-   Dell Precision

CONCLUSION
If you a normal commerce student or programming student... no you do not need a Macbook.
If you study law or IT .. you do not need a fancy Macbook or Surface Pro....

That's just my educated opinion.. buy it if you are rich.

If you have any questions that you want to ask, feel free =)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:26:29 pm by EEEEEEP »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Laptop for Uni!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:44 pm »
+4
Great guide! +1

Just thought that I'd add, this isn't a comprehensive list of software you have to use, or even will use. Your mileage will vary, so don't feel intimidated by the requirements, or freak out if you have to use something not on this list. Truth be told, if you buy something that can handle this software, it can probably handle whatever else the university throws at you. ;)

(Although, if you're interested in finance or another mathsy Commerce major, you may want to buy as if you're an engineering student, as some as the stats packages you use can be fairly resource intensive)