Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:28:25 am

Author Topic: sme f my keys aren't wrking  (Read 4347 times)  Share 

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
sme f my keys aren't wrking
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:08:07 am »
- What operating system: Windows XP
- Relevant computer specifications: It's a laptop that's really old - a dell inspiron 4100 that has seen better days and was quite battered before I took possession of it
- Description of your problem: Some of the keys on the in-built keyboard aren't working. The keys are "9", "O", "L" ".", which is interesting because that's a diagonal pattern. If I want to use those keys I have to use the on-screen keyboard which is annoying, as is the option of replacing "o" with "0" and "l" with "1". The keyboard/computer is otherwise fine.
- Anything you did prior to this error occuring: I was on Facebook, but other than that, nothing.
- Relevant screenshots: Here's one of me making this post with the use of the on-screen keyboard:

My question is: should I just get one of those cool keyboards that you roll up, or can I fix this problem? I understand that keyboards tend to wear out quite quickly, regardless of how well they're treated.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: sme f my keys aren't wrking
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:17:34 am »
That's weird! My keyboards have never worn out. Only the printing on the keyboard has worn out (like the X is not visible on the X key). I remember on my old computer my mice used to die really quickly, and it sort of produced a weird burnt plastic smell from the port that the mouse was plugged in, so it might be the computer that is damaging the keyboard?

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:23:34 pm »
If you spill stuff on it, it can happen. If you have a dodgy USB port that's delivering more than 5V of power, it can degrade parts (the resistors) more quickly.

I could troubleshoot this further to determine whether it's a software or hardware problem - but the omen yells hardware to me. You'll need to buy a replacement keyboard. Any USB keyboard from the swap meet will do - you can pick one up for $10 or maybe even less. Just plug it in!

You could take this further by having a mouse in there and a monitor plugged in the back - it'll feel like a desktop while you have it all plugged in (after a bit of tweaking).
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:35:19 pm »
Offtopic, but is that Safari in Firefox? EWWW.

Proceed.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:49:13 pm »
firefox with an odd theme.

I'm pretty sure it is hardware. Are there keyboards which come with an in-built mouse? That would be cool.

Odette

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:00:45 pm »
firefox with an odd theme.

I'm pretty sure it is hardware. Are there keyboards which come with an in-built mouse? That would be cool.

I've seen some around and yes they're cool lol... although i dont have one :( I want to get one hehe

droodles

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:56:53 pm »
that firefox skin is ewwwwwwwwwww

Neobeo

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 反逆 の Neobeo
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:28:53 pm »
That is pretty unusual. Would it be possible to check that the keys are also non-functional outside windows (in some other OS, or even in BIOS or something). If so then it's a hardware fault and you will need to get a new keyboard. No particular recommendations from me though.
Mathematics Coach: Tuition and Enrichment // Email/MSN:

If you remember the flying birds, they died D=

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:43:28 pm »
This is off-topic but I'll change the skin when I can be bothered. Any suggestions?

I'm also planning to buy either a flexi-keyboard or a mouse/keyboard.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 10:11:38 pm »
This is off-topic but I'll change the skin when I can be bothered. Any suggestions?

I'm also planning to buy either a flexi-keyboard or a mouse/keyboard.

Flexi-keyboards aren't worth your dosh. They last just as long as your regulars and cost that much more. Better get a keyboard/mouse kit for ~$30.

And don't bother with the mouse-in-keyboard keyboards...it's better to space your arms out as much as you can (you won't be typing with two hands as much as one hand + mouse) ... it's far more ergonomic.

excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

AppleXY

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 10:42:09 pm »
If you want a safari theme, get safari. Its out for windows and mac. If you don't, change it to the default, or some other theme. It looks like n00bish customisation. :P

[quote="Benjamin F

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 11:01:20 pm »
Or she can just stick to what she knows?

Safari is much the sameness with all browsers - bloated and slow. I'll take Lynx over Safari anyway ;D

Firefox is good for customisation though, given the communal nature of development.
Former Global Moderator

AppleXY

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 11:15:16 pm »
Safari is much the sameness with all browsers - bloated and slow. I'll take Lynx over Safari anyway ;D

SIF. Safari, despite the lack of functionality compared to firefox displays richer colours and fast image rending.

[quote="Benjamin F

gfb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 11:36:36 pm »
Try to remove the keys from the in-built keyboard, fiddle around with them, then replace it.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 12:39:48 am »

SIF. Safari, despite the lack of functionality compared to firefox displays richer colours and fast image rending.

Define 'richer' :P

#000000 will always be #000000.

I suspect rendering has to do with the CPU...but Safari's algorithm might be better. Cite please =D
Former Global Moderator