Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:25:06 pm

Author Topic: Tips for creative.  (Read 1150 times)  Share 

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
Tips for creative.
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:33:32 am »
+1
Hello Everyone

Any tips regarding how to smash creative, please voice.
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Tips for creative.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 07:47:37 am »
+1
The biggest thing that my teachers have emphasises when we are writing a creative piece is to try and match the "voice" of the text that you are responding to. They say that pieces that sounds as though they really could have come directly from the text is what pushes an A up to an A*. Good luck!

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 09:30:30 am »
+2
Hello Everyone

Any tips regarding how to smash creative, please voice.

Addin onto what laura said; if you're doing a creative in the voice of a character go through and look at everything they say and note down things that may their voice unique. Do they use a lot of slang? Do they use long words, are they educated? Is there a word or phrase they use a lot?

I did a creative on 12 Angry Men as Juror 10, I went through the play and underlined everything that he said that was unique to that character such as:
"whats wrong with ya" - He is harsh for the smallest of things and says you as ya
"boy-oh-boy" - one of the characters go to phrases when he belittles someone or is exasperated
"filthy" "one of them" "violent" "ignorant" "liars" - Words he uses to talk about people of colour
"They don't know what right and wrong, they look different, they act different" - this is a phrase direct from the book I used this to show how engrained his beliefs are about people of colour
"you can't trust em" - always says them as 'em

So after knowing this i could authentically create a piece using his phrases and the time periods vernacular

Hopefully this helps!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:35:31 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 12:28:04 pm »
+2
Hi!

This article has some killer advice and tips for creative writing! It does talk a little about the old syllabus (the discovery AOS), but the majority of it would still be super helpful and relevant to enhancing your creative writing.

One thing from the article that I found really helpful when I was doing the HSC was to write about what you know. Originally I really wanted to do a sci-fi creative and tried several different pieces, but they all just kinda flopped because I didn't really know much about the technology or what I was writing about. Instead, I ended up writing a fictional account about the guy who created the lamington, because food and cooking is something I know quite a lot about. Essentially, your creative will be more natural, authentic and well characterised if you tap into your own experiences, knowledge and passions.

And from having a quick look at the new syllabus, (correct me if I'm mistaken) it seems like you won't be able to memorise a creative piece beforehand. So I would definitely try to regularly do timed practice questions for the creative writing, so that you are used to thinking on your feet and editing as you go. And make sure to mark it yourself, or give it to a teacher or peer to mark, if you have that option.  :)

Edit: Hyperlink now works. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 12:41:26 pm by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 12:30:48 pm »
Thanks so much ppl for all the help,
I had no idea about mod c and this has helped alot.
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 12:33:51 pm »
Hi!

This article has some killer advice and tips for creative writing! It does talk a little about the old syllabus (the discovery AOS), but the majority of it would still be super helpful and relevant to enhancing your creative writing.

One thing from the article that I found really helpful when I was doing the HSC was to write about what you know. Originally I really wanted to do a sci-fi creative and tried several different pieces, but they all just kinda flopped because I didn't really know much about the technology or what I was writing about. Instead, I ended up writing a fictional account about the guy who created the lamington, because food and cooking is something I know quite a lot about. Essentially, your creative will be more natural, authentic and well characterised if you tap into your own experiences, knowledge and passions.

And from having a quick look at the new syllabus, (correct me if I'm mistaken) it seems like you won't be able to memorise a creative piece beforehand. So I would definitely try to regularly do timed practice questions for the creative writing, so that you are used to thinking on your feet and editing as you go. And make sure to mark it yourself, or give it to a teacher or peer to mark, if you have that option.  :)

Did u mean to have a proper hyperlink?
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 04:15:46 pm »
+2
Did u mean to have a proper hyperlink?

Hey, LoneWolf!

kauac might have been referring to this article. While it was geared towards the old syllabus that creative writing was for but you can still use the tips and tricks they outlined. You can also read some of these exemplar creative writing pieces in the Notes section to see how it's been done.

To add to what everyone's already said, I would also make sure you read your prescribed texts for Module C to assist you in crafting your piece. The aim of the module is to have you develop your writing style having been inspired by the texts NESA has provided. These texts can help guide your creative process and to influence the technical and conceptual aspects of your writing. You can check out the official FAQ's page for Module C written by NESA. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:28:35 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!