Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:51:37 am

Author Topic: Should I get a Switch?  (Read 9575 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Should I get a Switch?
« on: October 05, 2020, 09:22:10 pm »
+7
Quarter life crisis. Completely out of the blue, this seems like the sensible thing to do.

Does anybody have one?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Should I get a Switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:32:47 pm »
+1
I do not. What is it? (Assuming you're not referring to an outdated method of administering corporal punishment, of course :)))
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:50:48 pm »
+8
Quarter life crisis. Completely out of the blue, this seems like the sensible thing to do.

Does anybody have one?

On a scale of 1-10, how broke would you like to become?
If you answered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or 10, it is time to get a switch.🤣[Seriously it is definitely worth the investment and it is mainly the upfront cost that seems daunting]

Come join the club! I have one and to me, it is definitely worth it 8). It's probably one of my personal fav consoles to use and has some of the best games on it.

Were there any particular games you wanted to play on the switch?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 07:27:55 am by ashmi »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 09:54:56 pm »
+8
You should get me one <3

Dont have one but I've used other peoples. They're good fun and very useful for making hospital less boring haha
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 10:00:39 pm »
+9
On money:
At my current usage, (excluding other financial contributions from family members), I've paid roughly just over a dollar and a half approx for every hour of gaming. Definitely worth it imo, even as a casual gamer - the total costs of additional games and maintenance thin out over time and are sorta like any other hobby people pay for. You can squeeze out more value with some of the smaller games around which are just as brilliant (personal favourites are Stardew Valley and the Escapists).

On fun:
I feel like I spend a lot of spare time on the switch trying to make myself happy - does work often enough :). It's all about finding games which have replayability + whatever else you enjoy though.

The only downside I can really see is eyes dead and upfront costs - otherwise perfectly sensible imo. :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 09:53:23 am »
+2

You expect to live for another 3x what you have with the world it is now? Dayum

As for me, I spent my mid-life crisis constantly dying my hair. Ended up being as expensive (after about the 7th or so time?), but now I'm missing chunks of my hair. A switch is not only fun, but it doesn't fade away like hair dye, AND you get to keep your hair as an added bonus. Definitely seems like a better investment.

Just, don't get the new Pokemon - that one is definitively NOT worth the price IMO.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 04:37:58 pm »
+4
Thanks everybody!

I do not. What is it? (Assuming you're not referring to an outdated method of administering corporal punishment, of course :)))

The Nintendo Switch!

https://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendo-switch/

On a scale of 1-10, how broke would you like to become?
If you answered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or 10, it is time to get a switch.🤣[Seriously it is definitely worth the investment and it is mainly the upfront cost that seems daunting]

Come join the club! I have one and to me, it is definitely worth it 8). It's probably one of my personal fav consoles to use and has some of the best games on it.

Were there any particular games you wanted to play on the switch?

Haha, yeah, not the cheapest. Did you get any further accessories etc., or just what came in the box? Why do you like it?

Games - practically only have interest in Mario games lol. Have recently been smashing Super Mario 64, having never played it before. Enjoying it.

You should get me one <3

Dont have one but I've used other peoples. They're good fun and very useful for making hospital less boring haha

Good idea haha. Did you play it mostly hand-held or otherwise?

On money:
At my current usage, (excluding other financial contributions from family members), I've paid roughly just over a dollar and a half approx for every hour of gaming. Definitely worth it imo, even as a casual gamer - the total costs of additional games and maintenance thin out over time and are sorta like any other hobby people pay for. You can squeeze out more value with some of the smaller games around which are just as brilliant (personal favourites are Stardew Valley and the Escapists).

On fun:
I feel like I spend a lot of spare time on the switch trying to make myself happy - does work often enough :). It's all about finding games which have replayability + whatever else you enjoy though.

The only downside I can really see is eyes dead and upfront costs - otherwise perfectly sensible imo. :)

Thanks for this.

I'm definitely not a gamer, or even close. As above, though, have been smashing Super Mario on the 64, and enjoying that. Feel like I could easily get into other Mario titles, though.

You expect to live for another 3x what you have with the world it is now? Dayum

As for me, I spent my mid-life crisis constantly dying my hair. Ended up being as expensive (after about the 7th or so time?), but now I'm missing chunks of my hair. A switch is not only fun, but it doesn't fade away like hair dye, AND you get to keep your hair as an added bonus. Definitely seems like a better investment.

Just, don't get the new Pokemon - that one is definitively NOT worth the price IMO.

Yes, I see no reason why I can't make that age. 👀  Hahaha.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 04:52:46 pm »
+4
Good idea haha. Did you play it mostly hand-held or otherwise?

I'm definitely not a gamer, or even close. As above, though, have been smashing Super Mario on the 64, and enjoying that. Feel like I could easily get into other Mario titles, though.
I've played the switch lite which is just hand held and played the standard switch with someone else using the console as the screen (but I think it can be projected to tv?)

I'll vs you in Mario kart when (if?) melbourne gets less infected haha (and totally not just because I want to meet Neville).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »
+6
Guaranteed to be the best investment of your life if you're not a full-on gamer but want to get into some simpler games on a portable device! I got my Switch Lite as a gift and I think I've spent enough time on it than anything else. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is my favourite game and I spend most of my Switch time on it to help me get to sleep or just calm down.
my Switch stats :D

The Mario games are super playable on Switch too - I vote buy it :))
I think your only toss-up here would be between getting the full version or Lite version. Full means you can plug it into a bigger screen/use more than one remote - but if you're not playing with anyone else often or don't mind mobile games you can happily settle with the Lite.

Edit: also we could be frens uwu
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 05:36:41 pm »
+5
Yes - I bought one and managed to snag the Mario All-Stars set. Nostalgia is peak atm and I'm loving it. Growing up Nintendo consoles were my go-to!

(Sidenote: I originally bought it as a hoard buy - I've barely used it and have all these games just sitting there. It's good for a casual play every so often when there's nothing else to do).
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 05:45:39 pm »
+5
I'm not a gamer, but I've got a taste for classic Nintendo titles, so I bought one in 2017. Still play BOTW - that by itself is reason enough to buy a Switch, and it's ridiculously good value for money.

Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Kart are also excellent additions to their respective franchises. Smash Bros is also excellent, although I'm nowhere near good enough to play it as it's meant to be played.

Also, if you like the Metroid games (or Metroidvanias), then definitely pick up Hollow Knight.

I'd recommend getting the Pro controller if cost is not an issue.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 09:36:27 am »
+5
I've played the switch lite which is just hand held and played the standard switch with someone else using the console as the screen (but I think it can be projected to tv?)

I'll vs you in Mario kart when (if?) melbourne gets less infected haha (and totally not just because I want to meet Neville).

In my sharehouse we've played together using a switch and a literal projector even.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 08:35:06 pm »
+10
So I ordered a Switch.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 09:57:13 am »
+8
I am enjoying my Switch.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 10:13:57 am »
+4
I am enjoying my Switch.
How good is it?

(I may have procrastinated my entire presentation and viva playing Animal Crossing >.> )
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!