Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:41:42 am

Author Topic: Dropping from advanced to general??  (Read 12926 times)  Share 

i5la

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Dropping from advanced to general??
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:13:37 pm »
Hi i am considering dropping from advanced maths to general. I'm unsure whether this is a good decision, I could continue adv but wont get a very good mark but if I general I think I could do a lot better it would also give me more time to focus on my other subject. How much does scaling come into play between general and advanced??

Any advice is much appreciated  :) :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Dropping from advanced to general??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:12:10 pm »
+5
Hey!

I know there’s a certain temptation to stay in Advanced because there’s that mindset that it scales better, but your ATAR pretty much depends on your perfomance. If you feel that you aren’t getting anything out of advanced, try getting a tutor. They can give you extra help during the hsc year. However, general maths is said to be easier than advanced. If you believe that you doing general will help you with time management for your other subjects, then go for it! There’s really no point staying in advanced if you’re not getting the results that you want. If you’re worried about scaling, like I said earlier, it all depends on your performance. Majority of band 6s from my cohort came from girls who did general maths (who were actually former advanced maths students in Year 11). They said moving to general was the best decision they’ve ever done as they were less stressed and believed they performed a lot better because of the course’s content was more logical than of the advanced course.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 11:15:14 pm »
+2
Hi i am considering dropping from advanced maths to general. I'm unsure whether this is a good decision, I could continue adv but wont get a very good mark but if I general I think I could do a lot better it would also give me more time to focus on my other subject. How much does scaling come into play between general and advanced??

Any advice is much appreciated  :) :)
I can't really give you any advice regarding scaling, but as someone who dropped from advanced to general as well, i find general sooooo much better! I wouldn't necessarily call it easier, because the markers throw alot of things at you to confuse you, and they really do work whether you believe it or not and it can really throw you around so you'll need to watch out for that.

As you are someone who is dropping from advanced, please dont think you know better, or you're smarter or anything just because you did the advanced course, because i can say from personal and indirect experience that these are the people that get caught out the most.

Its also really difficult to get a band 6 in general maths. Alot of the tricks used by markers really throw off even the best of students sometimes. Remember that a band 6 is 90+ in the HSC. Thats a 10 mark cushion. Loose those 10 marks and there goes your band 6 (spoken from someone who endures a band 6 lecture in maths lessons daily) and it is really easy to let those marks slip away.

Also remember that 40% of your year 11 maths content will be tested in your hsc, so youll have to roughly catch up on abouf 3 terms of coursework to get you up to scratch while learning the year 12 course. I'd recconmend getting your hands oj some year 11 test papers and a textbook and see what you need to address the most before diving in head first.

In conclusion, despite everything, i really do recconmend dropping from advanced to general maths, especially id you're looking to boost your marks (maybe won't give you alot of time to focus on your other subjects though, given how much work you may need to catch up on!). But i definitely reckon you need to give it some serious consideration.

Hope this helps!!
I wish you luck with whichever choice you make!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

i5la

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 12:31:54 am »
I can't really give you any advice regarding scaling, but as someone who dropped from advanced to general as well, i find general sooooo much better! I wouldn't necessarily call it easier, because the markers throw alot of things at you to confuse you, and they really do work whether you believe it or not and it can really throw you around so you'll need to watch out for that.

As you are someone who is dropping from advanced, please dont think you know better, or you're smarter or anything just because you did the advanced course, because i can say from personal and indirect experience that these are the people that get caught out the most.

Its also really difficult to get a band 6 in general maths. Alot of the tricks used by markers really throw off even the best of students sometimes. Remember that a band 6 is 90+ in the HSC. Thats a 10 mark cushion. Loose those 10 marks and there goes your band 6 (spoken from someone who endures a band 6 lecture in maths lessons daily) and it is really easy to let those marks slip away.

Also remember that 40% of your year 11 maths content will be tested in your hsc, so youll have to roughly catch up on abouf 3 terms of coursework to get you up to scratch while learning the year 12 course. I'd recconmend getting your hands oj some year 11 test papers and a textbook and see what you need to address the most before diving in head first.

In conclusion, despite everything, i really do recconmend dropping from advanced to general maths, especially id you're looking to boost your marks (maybe won't give you alot of time to focus on your other subjects though, given how much work you may need to catch up on!). But i definitely reckon you need to give it some serious consideration.

Hope this helps!!
Hey!

I know there’s a certain temptation to stay in Advanced because there’s that mindset that it scales better, but your ATAR pretty much depends on your perfomance. If you feel that you aren’t getting anything out of advanced, try getting a tutor. They can give you extra help during the hsc year. However, general maths is said to be easier than advanced. If you believe that you doing general will help you with time management for your other subjects, then go for it! There’s really no point staying in advanced if you’re not getting the results that you want. If you’re worried about scaling, like I said earlier, it all depends on your performance. Majority of band 6s from my cohort came from girls who did general maths (who were actually former advanced maths students in Year 11). They said moving to general was the best decision they’ve ever done as they were less stressed and believed they performed a lot better because of the course’s content was more logical than of the advanced course.
Thankyou so much!!

Hope this helps!!
Yes this does help!!

Mod edit: Posts merged. At times like this, please use the 'Modify' function at the top right corner of a post, to refrain from chain posting.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:53:54 am by RuiAce »

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 12:59:09 am »
A few things to consider would be what you want to do... I've got a pal who dropped from 2U to general and wanted to do engineering, that would be disastrous because it won't prepare you at all (just saying) and also another who wanted to do aviation but picked general because he did not research properly (big mistake) so he decided to take a bridging course for 2U .. if you want to do commerce in uni you might need 2U as assumed knowledge or prerequisite (again I am not an expert so don't listen to me too much)....

Me saying this much may be hypocritical or out of place because I am still doing my hsc, so you probably want opinion from lecturers like Jamon or any other graduates with a 90+ ATAR.. Good luck for your hsc though
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 09:35:40 am »
+5
This questions pretty much been answered (fantastically btw), just wanted to respond to this comment real quick

Me saying this much may be hypocritical or out of place because I am still doing my hsc, so you probably want opinion from lecturers like Jamon or any other graduates with a 90+ ATAR.. Good luck for your hsc though

Please don't ever feel like your response/opinion/feedback is less valuable because you aren't a lecturer or 90+ graduate! ATAR Notes is a community, with diverse opinions, perspectives and ideas, and we encourage everyone to share them as long as they are productive and respectful :) This diversity of experiences and perspectives is fantastic, because it means that those who need help are given a variety of options that they can chose from, and can make a more informed decision, rather than just taking on board just one persons experience (which may not be applicable to them).
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

LoanFisherman

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 04:48:24 pm »
Hey Peeps

I have dropped from advanced to general going into year 12.
What content/processes is unique to standard maths that I would not know...e.g. standard deviation, frequency tables.

P.S. I didnt fo 5.3 in year 10