Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:45:10 pm

Author Topic: Working Memory Question  (Read 617 times)  Share 

DylanBurrowes

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Working Memory Question
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »
Just wondering what you guys think, in working memory, does the manipulation of information to solve a problem for example occur in the central executive or episodic buffer? I've heard both from different teachers, can anyone give me the answer? Haha thanks!
2012: Psychology (49) and Music Performance (45)
2013: English, Mathematical Methods (CAS), Chemistry, Biology

ATAR Aim: 100

emilyhobbes

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Caulfield Grammar School
Re: Working Memory Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »
I would say the central executive  :)
From my understanding, if the problem was like a maths problem, the central executive instructs the episodic buffer to retrieve from LTM the knowledge of maths, and then the central executive can manipulate the info retrieved and actually figure out the answer.
Hope that makes sense  :-\
2012: Methods (49) and Psych (50)
2013: English (47), English Language (49), Chem (44) and Spesh (47)
ATAR: 99.95
UMAT: 99th%
Tutoring in 2014

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
Re: Working Memory Question
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:48:56 pm »
This is a sticky part, so its best to have a clear understanding...

First "the manipulation of information" is not specific enough - what do you mean by 'manipulation'?

Function of the episodic buffer: on instruction from the central executive, retrieves information from long-term memory, before recommitting the modified memory back into LTM.

The central executive: receives and processes information from the phonological loop, visuospatial sketchpad (i.e. the storage components) and episodic buffer, as well as from LTM through link of the episodic buffer.
It has 3 main functions:
* directs attention
* responsible for shifts of attention
* modifying answers brought in from LTM, before recommitting them back to LTM, through link of episodic buffer.
It is also involved in decision making (i.e. decides what to do with the info its receives from the two storage components)

Hence, manipulation of information to solve problem is combination of these two components of working memory.
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog