Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:50:52 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231992 times)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #2460 on: July 26, 2017, 08:00:45 pm »
Hey,
I have an assessment task in English tomorrow for module C which is a listening and reading response. We will hear an extract from our prescribed text (Art of Travel) and need to answer the question  'write a TWO page response that identifies the speaker's views on people and landscapes and analyses how effectively he represents them to shape audience response'. We get to listen to the extract three times. I was wondering what should we do in each of the three times that the extract is played to get the most points for our analysis? How do I find all the techniques without being able to actually read/look through the text? How should we structure this?
Thanks heaps :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:14:23 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2461 on: July 26, 2017, 09:13:36 pm »
+3
Hey,
I have an assessment task in English tomorrow for module C which is a listening and reading response. We will hear an extract from our prescribed text (Art of Travel) and need to answer the question  'write a TWO page response that identifies the speaker's views on people and landscapes and analyses how effectively he represents them to shape audience response'. We get to listen to the extract three times. I was wondering what should we do in each of the three times that the extract is played to get the most points for our analysis? How do I find all the techniques without being able to actually read/look through the text? How should we structure this?
Thanks heaps :D

My 2 cents on the listening and comprehending part:

1st time: listen to the whole thing, actively but just take the entire extract in.
2nd time: you might want to use this one to brush up on anything you didn't get the first time but depending on how good your memory is you could start analysing the extract
3rd time: if you needed the second listening to consolidate the extract, analyse here and see what you can tie into the rubric. If not, listen for key words and think about how they relate to their rubric and the module as a whole. What is it trying to say and why have they picked it? Also use this as a chance for final clarification of techniques and word choice.

As soon as you can: write down all the juicy stuff you just thought up that you can possibly remember - possibly chant it in your head until you have a chance to write it, once you have the extract down you can analyse it more thoroughly.

METHOD 2: Use your first listening to find the richest part of the extract. Spend the second time analysing that particular section, ignore the rest. The third time you hear it you should be thinking about how and why its being said in the way it is, as well as tying in rubric (a favourite word for mod c is representation as well as real vs imagined vs perceived landscapes!). Depending on how good you are at extracting stuff from words will determine what method you use.

Personally I would do the first method but if you think you will be meeting the question and marking criteria doing the second it is probably an easier way.

Hope this helps!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2462 on: July 26, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
Hey i was wondering how i can study for Module A for trials? I'm doing Richard III and Looking for richard

Hey! You might want to give this guide a read, it has some of the things you should be doing for Module A (and the others as well)! Additionally, maybe check out our free notes section for stuff to help with those texts? :)

limtou

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2463 on: July 26, 2017, 10:11:49 pm »
Hello! Just wondering, is there a guide on how to answer Section 1? I am struggling to find techniques and sometimes I can't even understand the texts... My analysis also seems... all over the place. Any advice? Should I perhaps underline all of the techniques I can find, and then start?
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2464 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:29 pm »
I see :D Thank you for your
I was having trouble writing what his perspective was
I was wondering what's the best way to identify and write a perspective from a text?
Hey anotherworld!
I don't know that a perspective necessarily does the exploring - but his perspective admires advancement of space research and he desires a greater care for Earth, because his perspective is that the Earth is a valuable yet vulnerable resource.

gkim1

• Adventurer
  • Crying about how I want the HSC to be over.
« Reply #2465 on: July 27, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
Hiya!
In regards to essay questions that specifically ask for your perspectives, is it recommended to use first person within the introduction and conclusion of an essay of any of the modules? E.g. if the HSC asks a question regarding Hamlet and asks YOU for your response, is it a good idea to use the 'I' or 'me'?

A reply would be super appreciated :)
HSC 2017: Advanced Eng / Extension Eng / Business Studies / Legal Studies / Ancient History / General Maths / Studies of Religion

KeelzeyMac

• Adventurer
« Reply #2466 on: July 27, 2017, 11:38:13 am »
+1
Hi!
I have my english advanced trials on Monday and Tuesday, and I just received back a practice Mod A essay I wrote a few days ago. I got a pretty thorough roasting from my teacher because the essay wasn't structured well in relation to the question, the examples weren't strong enough for the points but most importantly the thesis was terrible.
Is there an awesome page on writing awesome theses on this site? I think I need it now more than ever...
Thanks in advance!

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2467 on: July 27, 2017, 03:41:18 pm »
Hey, so through constructing an essay for Module C (my elective is people and landscapes and text is Art of Travel), I think I am overthinking the concept of 'representation' and I'm worried about just throwing the word into an argument with no context or evidence to support what I'm a saying.
So I was wondering if anyone has any clear ways of distinguishing what becomes a 'representation' within a text to help me through my overthinking of the concept.
Thanks!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2468 on: July 27, 2017, 04:36:18 pm »
+2
Hi!
I have my english advanced trials on Monday and Tuesday, and I just received back a practice Mod A essay I wrote a few days ago. I got a pretty thorough roasting from my teacher because the essay wasn't structured well in relation to the question, the examples weren't strong enough for the points but most importantly the thesis was terrible.
Is there an awesome page on writing awesome theses on this site? I think I need it now more than ever...
Thanks in advance!
Hey,
I found this guide on thesis statements which may help you, https://atarnotes.com/discovery-thesis-statement/ .
There is also a Thesis statement feedback and discussion thread, where you can post some of your thesis and Elyse can look over it and give some feedback-It looks really helpful. The link is https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=167423.0
Hope that you go well in your trials and this helps,
Katie :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2469 on: July 27, 2017, 05:42:54 pm »
I see :D Thank you for your
I was having trouble writing what his perspective was
I was wondering what's the best way to identify and write a perspective from a text?

Are you talking about the perspective of an entire text, or the characters within? :)
Hiya!
In regards to essay questions that specifically ask for your perspectives, is it recommended to use first person within the introduction and conclusion of an essay of any of the modules? E.g. if the HSC asks a question regarding Hamlet and asks YOU for your response, is it a good idea to use the 'I' or 'me'?

A reply would be super appreciated :)

Heya! I recommend against using the first person. Perhaps adopt the voice of..."A contemporary student of the work can appreciate the..." Or, "a modern readership can understand the..." This just formalises the expression but also groups you within that category :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2470 on: July 27, 2017, 05:47:08 pm »
+1
Hey,
I found this guide on thesis statements which may help you, https://atarnotes.com/discovery-thesis-statement/ .
There is also a Thesis statement feedback and discussion thread, where you can post some of your thesis and Elyse can look over it and give some feedback-It looks really helpful. The link is https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=167423.0
Hope that you go well in your trials and this helps,
Katie :)

Thanks a bunch Katie!!
Hey, so through constructing an essay for Module C (my elective is people and landscapes and text is Art of Travel), I think I am overthinking the concept of 'representation' and I'm worried about just throwing the word into an argument with no context or evidence to support what I'm a saying.
So I was wondering if anyone has any clear ways of distinguishing what becomes a 'representation' within a text to help me through my overthinking of the concept.
Thanks!

A common issue - don't worry you're not alone! The simplest way I see it, is that everything within a text is a representation of something in the real world, or the real world as imagined by someone writing fiction. So everything naturally is a literary representation of something else. A literary representation of conflict, of love, of mourning, of inspiration, etc. So, you could say that the metaphor is a representation of the recurring way the imagined landscape appears in the protagonist's mind. Or, the deep imagery is a representation of the significance of this landscape... so on. So it's not too dissimilar from what you're doing in every other module, you're just bringing the word "representation" to the forefront.

It's great you're working so consciously to include "representation" in your work!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2471 on: July 27, 2017, 06:05:26 pm »
+1
Hey!!

I'm writing notes for Module B, my elective was the seven speeches (sadat, keating, pearson, deane, atwood, lesing, brooks). I write my notes as an analysis grid, with quote/technique/analysis. I'm trying to now organise my notes according to themes, so that I have ease in writing my essay, e.g for sadat is peace, war, unity etc..

So basically, I've been having trouble identifying themes in all of the speeches, and I was wondering if anyone could help?? How do I pick a theme, and how do I pick themes that i can find as commonalities between essays. Or is there another way I can organise my notes?

Any help would be appreciated a lot!!! Thank you very much.

I'm doing speeches as well and struggled with this too initially, I've only done 4/7 but these are what I think are the biggest overarching themes, hope it helps a bit!

It is still winter at home
-Unity
-National Identity
-Peace/conflict
-overcoming adversity --> can link this to national identity

Redfern address
-unity
-national identity
-peace/conflict
-overcoming adversity

Australian identity
-National identity
-Peace/conflict
-overcoming adversity

Speech to the Knesset
-Unity
-Peace/conflict
-overcoming adversity
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2472 on: July 27, 2017, 07:44:31 pm »
+1
Both.
I tried to rewrite the perspective. Would this be better?
Inspired by the image of Voyager 1 on February 14, 1990, Carl Sagan’s ‘Pale Blue Dot’ can be read as reflective of a scientist’s perspective towards the potential the advancement of space research can have to improve Earth; a valuable yet vulnerable resource.

Are you talking about the perspective of an entire text, or the characters within? :)
Heya! I recommend against using the first person. Perhaps adopt the voice of..."A contemporary student of the work can appreciate the..." Or, "a modern readership can understand the..." This just formalises the expression but also groups you within that category :)

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2473 on: July 27, 2017, 10:31:04 pm »
Thanks a bunch Katie!!
A common issue - don't worry you're not alone! The simplest way I see it, is that everything within a text is a representation of something in the real world, or the real world as imagined by someone writing fiction. So everything naturally is a literary representation of something else. A literary representation of conflict, of love, of mourning, of inspiration, etc. So, you could say that the metaphor is a representation of the recurring way the imagined landscape appears in the protagonist's mind. Or, the deep imagery is a representation of the significance of this landscape... so on. So it's not too dissimilar from what you're doing in every other module, you're just bringing the word "representation" to the forefront.

It's great you're working so consciously to include "representation" in your work!

Thanks a bunch Katie!!

Oh I'm so glad I'm not going crazy then haha! but thank you!!! that is such a good way of looking at it, it makes a lot more sense now! Just with the idea of literary representation, what would you suggest a physical or emotional representation is that you could refer to? or would this become more of like the impact of the representation? If that makes sense?

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2474 on: July 28, 2017, 04:37:54 pm »
Also, just in terms of the modules when is it appropriate to list like page numbers, act and scene lines? like is it necessary at all or do particular modules require it or not?
Thank you