Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:50 pm

Author Topic: Bee(a) buzzing through film school  (Read 35741 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Bee(a) buzzing through film school
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:24 pm »
+1
Yay for friends! I certainly hope what you say about it taking time is true cause idk if I made it obvious or not in my journal but I'm kinda struggling to hang out with people I didn't already know pre uni/ are actually in my course, but it makes me super happy you seem to have worked that out  :)

I tell this to all my friends and everyone out there but since there's only one bachelor degree at AFTRS, we're all in the same lectures and do all the same subjects and workshops. There are only 95 of us in the year and there are 19 people per class. There is a very good chance of me bumping into someone I knew in one of my subjects. For instance, in Screen Business I know two people (one of them is from my friend group!), in Story I know at least four people (one is from my group) and in Image I know three people (again one of them is from my group). I think my advice for you or for anyone really is to, find consistencies within your lectures, workshops, tutorials etc and stick to them until you feel comfortable with talking to other people. I met most of my group back in the AFTRS O-Week party (which was on February 23). At first, it was only the two of them. When I walked past them in the corridors, I would say hi and they would say hi back and we would have a short conversation. Like how was screen business or what did you submit for your portfolio or which tutor do you have for story etc. Since there was always one person from my group in my subjects, this made it easier when heading off to lunch cos I could be like "oh hey wait up! Would it be alright if I sat with you guys" and they'll be like "sure" because they know everyone is in the same boat. Until eventually the group expanded into the six of us and I've sat with them consistently last week during breaks and lectures and we would have inside jokes and that was pretty cool. But also you just need to swallow your pride and shyness and JUST DO IT. Just ask if you can sit with them during lunch. Or even just say straight up "we're sitting together during lunch time" (this is what I told a girl back in the first week of uni and we talk to each other now during lectures and during my story class). Just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you. Everyone is terrified. In order to ease the pain, you just gotta take the first step and the other party will be so glad that you went up to them first. Worse case scenario- just talk about the HSC. This gets people into debates and this could lead into funny stories; ie the one time I told my group why I decided to do 3U maths in Year 11 and dropped it two terms later (they think it's hilarious)

Good luck with making friends at uni and it really does take time. It took me nearly a month to settle in and find a friend group. You can do it :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 10:56:31 pm »
+1
I don't know whether to believe any of this that you have written in your journal this week because it seems you are very good at lying ;)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 11:23:57 pm »
+1
I don't know whether to believe any of this that you have written in your journal this week because it seems you are very good at lying ;)

I have photo evidence from all four of my uni days, transactions proving I got lunch near AFTRS and all the trips on my concession opal card online ;) Would you like to check them out?

Just need to catch up on my assignments now after a very busy week and weekend :)

My Saturday, on the other hand, I do not have any traces on what happened on that day whatsoever.
Can you help me recall the events from yesterday? ;)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:51 pm »
+1
I have photo evidence from all four of my uni days, transactions proving I got lunch near AFTRS and all the trips on my concession opal card online ;) Would you like to check them out?

My Saturday, on the other hand, I do not have any traces on what happened on that day whatsoever.
Can you help me recall the events from yesterday? ;)

No I can't? I do remember that I experienced some new but scary things. How about you? Did you experience something new? Was it scary too?
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 11:42:08 pm »
No I can't? I do remember that I experienced some new but scary things. How about you? Did you experience something new? Was it scary too?

Yeah I kinda remember experiencing new things for the first time so that was pretty cool. Though I did experience other stuff and it was quite scary. But I did it anyways and I can't believe it. I feel that I can conquer anything now. Like driving around the roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe ;)

What a crazy coincidence we've both experienced new and scary things yesterday?!?!!? I feel like a new person now. Do you feel the same way after experiencing all the scary stuff that you did yesterday?

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 12:25:52 am »
+1
Yeah I kinda remember experiencing new things for the first time so that was pretty cool. Though I did experience other stuff and it was quite scary. But I did it anyways and I can't believe it. I feel that I can conquer anything now. Like driving around the roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe ;)

What a crazy coincidence we've both experienced new and scary things yesterday?!?!!? I feel like a new person now. Do you feel the same way after experiencing all the scary stuff that you did yesterday?
I feel like I'm missing out on something here, what happened yesterday? What is this scarily new experience you've both had?
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 10:09:49 am »
+1
I feel like I'm missing out on something here, what happened yesterday? What is this scarily new experience you've both had?

I’m afraid, only Visual Arts students can understand the scary experience that is life x

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:19 am »
+1
I’m afraid, only Visual Arts students can understand the scary experience that is life x

Preach it, sister. Nobody knows fear until they do VA.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:13:34 am by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 09:49:36 pm »
+6
March 21, 2018

Subject of the week: Screen Business 1

Think its best to make an update now rather at the end of the week but we just had our group presentation today and I thought that was a complete S U C C E S S (minus the part where I cannot pronounce the word 'controversial' properly) but think my tutor liked our short film pitch. This entire time I was literally having doubts cos I thought my part was the EASIEST part compared to my group members. It was only yesterday when I realised that my part (creating the logline and the synopsis) was the MOST important part of the pitch. I'm super glad that my tutor liked my logline which definitely gives me a lot more confidence. Now I just gotta write the 1000 word pitch and video reflection for submission this Monday :)

We've also had two lectures this week; one about communication yesterday which made me realise that I need to be a more active listener and be more open about myself. Whilst today we had a lecture about leadership styles.

I've been working non stop on my Story (scriptwriting) assessment because I reallly like my idea and I'm so excited to see my idea turn out into a 4-5 minute screenplay. Our first draft of our script for the Visual Storytelling task (end of semester production) is due next Thursday, which is so freaking close!! I honestly have no clue on how to make a script that doesn't involve dialogue.

I've been working on other personal projects as well (a script and a short film) so I'm keen to see how they will work out. I am currently researching DSLR cameras online because I just need to get out there and make stuff.

That's all from me this week. Don't think anything interesting will happen this Friday :)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 09:55:48 pm »
+1
I've been working on other personal projects as well (a script and a short film) so I'm keen to see how they will work out. I am currently researching DSLR cameras online because I just need to get out there and make stuff.

Ooh yes!! I am keen to see what you've created when you do eventually finish them!
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 08:06:44 pm »
+6
March 27, 2018

Subject of the week: Story 1

Since the Easter Weekend is coming up, my schedule for this week has been shifted to Monday-Tuesday-Thursday.

GOOD NEWS
I'm super happy to see that my actor and my actress for my Visual Storytelling film 'Memento Mori' (more details of it can be found here) are SUPER KEEN to get started even though production isn't until May 28. When I hired them, I actually didn't tell them who the other actor/actress was because I wanted it to be a surprise. Anyways they found out through the online production sheet where I put down their names under my production. It was during lunch time today when I overheard their conversation and I heard the word 'dance'. I approached them and said "are you guys talking about my film?" and they were like "of course we are". The height difference is perfect for the film and my actors look really good together. They even said that they were going to practice dancing from this point on for my film which really made my day. It's so sweet of them. They even briefly ballroom danced at lunch today to show me their dancing skills. I'm super keen to get this film done too because it will be the first film I will write and direct.

MORE GOOD NEWS
Today in our workshop, we had to tell our tutor our logline and our protagonist's description for our script that we're working on. The thing is, I pitched a different idea three weeks ago and I wasn't 100% sure if she was going to like my new story idea. Anyways, I told her the logline and my protagonist's backstory and she really liked it!! People in my class liked it as well and I'm just super glad. I thought it was going to be cheesy.

Today has been good :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 07:03:03 pm »
+6
03/04/18 - 06/04/18

Subject of the week: Image 1

At first, I really wasn’t looking forward to this week because I started to dislike cinematography after its first week. I felt intimidated by everyone in the class and I was scared that I wouldn’t be good enough. Things changed this second week of Image 1.

Tuesday:
the tale of the six cinematographers
So the topic for our lecture was called ‘The Frame: The Window on our World’ where we learnt about composition, depth cue, focal element and more. I thought this lecture was really interesting because you never really think about what’s in a frame until you realise the intentions of the cinematographer and you go ‘ah, so that’s the effect they were going for’. Our lecturer mentioned that there’s a huge demand for female cinematographers in the industry which ties in perfectly with our workshop. My tutor is also the lecturer so we definitely get more out of the workshops compared to the other classes (and he’s also the head of cinematography at AFTRS so that’s a MASSIVE bonus). In the class of 19, there were only 6 girls and we were put in charged of doing the cinematography work for the rest of the day. For some reason, I felt a sense of power and dominance for once as this little group of females managed to create beautiful compositions. Plus it was funny seeing all the boys sitting on their seats, dying to work with the camera. And every time they would try and interrupt us, our tutor would tell them to stop. Our tutor asked who wanted to edit the rushes and I immediately volunteered because I love editing and we don’t learn Rhythm and Juxtaposition until Sem 2. My tutor was impressed that I was able to edit a scene in a matter of 10 minutes and that’s when my reputation started to build within my Image class. I was now known as ‘Bea the editor’; something I had always identified as and will always will. It felt good.

Wednesday:
i am not throwing away my shot!
For our lecture this time, we learnt about different lenses and perspective. Whilst in our workshop, we filmed yet again another scene. But this time, it was the same scene but one using a wide shot and one shot that is zoomed in. Afterwards we learnt about storyboarding and presented our storyboards in front of our class. I also invited a couple of my high school friends from UNSW to visit me at lunch. It was weird seeing my high school and university lives intermingling. It was something I didn't think would even remotely happen.

Thursday:
sdl day
For SDL day, I decided to head off to Cockatoo island to check out the 21st Biennale of Sydney but as well to get an original photo for my assessment task. I got some decent shots and I realised there was a common object in all my photos- STAIRS. This original photo is meant to be a reference for my film for Image.

Friday:
i really don't like riverdale :(
We started the day off with a lecture about animation and anime (yes I said anime). Then we had a screening analysis of the film ‘Grave of the Fireflies’ which was a beautiful film yet heart wrenching story about two siblings trying to survive WWII in Japan. We had a seminar about ‘high culture vs popular culture’, giving me the perfect opportunity to bag out Riverdale and making people in my class laugh :) We finished the day off with reflection.

So I finally got around to submitting part one of my Image assessment just a couple of hours ago. Now I just need to work on pre-production documents for all the films I’m involved in at the end of semester production block. I’m getting assessed on being writer/director for my own film but I also have to fill out documents for other films as its mandatory to partake in different roles such as cinematographer, first AD, producer and production designer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:24:19 pm by beatroot »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:42 pm »
+1
We had a seminar about ‘high culture vs popular culture’, giving me the perfect opportunity to bag out Riverdale and making people in my class laugh :)

Omg same! I hate Riverdale as well! Season 1 was ok but then it went downhill from there. Like, the plot got really messy and they just announced they're making SEASON THREE. I feel like I just hate any teen dramas because they're always using the same plot line of having a love triangle to extend the conflict, kinda like what they did in Riverdale between Veronica, Betty and Archie- to me, that's just lazy writing.

Anyways, it's really interesting to look at the 'behind-the-scenes' in what film students do. I love looking at the details in what film directors do and how it contributes to their story telling- Oscar season is when I usually get to fangirl more over Best Picture films lol.

Can't wait for your next update :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 08:08:06 pm »
+5
Omg same! I hate Riverdale as well! Season 1 was ok but then it went downhill from there. Like, the plot got really messy and they just announced they're making SEASON THREE. I feel like I just hate any teen dramas because they're always using the same plot line of having a love triangle to extend the conflict, kinda like what they did in Riverdale between Veronica, Betty and Archie- to me, that's just lazy writing.

Anyways, it's really interesting to look at the 'behind-the-scenes' in what film students do. I love looking at the details in what film directors do and how it contributes to their story telling- Oscar season is when I usually get to fangirl more over Best Picture films lol.

Can't wait for your next update :)

MY RANT ABOUT RIVERDALE BECAUSE THIS SHOW ANNOYS ME so don't read if you're a huge riverdale fan thx
To be fair on Riverdale, they have beautiful cinematography and the lighting is nice but that's just about it. Main reason why I only watched Season 1 because I wanted to know who killed Jason (really pissed me off when I found out who did). Riverdale has all the elements to a teen drama show and it's too overwhelming. You've got your girl next door. The rich bad girl turned good turned bad turned good (... this goes on forever). The Troy Bolton wannabe who's head is in the game but his heart's actually in the song. The angsty kid who doesn't want to fit in. The whole "murder plot in a seemingly perfect small town that's actually really dark". The unnecessary musical numbers (what the hell was that Milkshake cover on the rooftop of the diner???) The really disgusting student-teacher relationship. I can literally go on. I feel that Riverdale is trying too hard with the show. Would the show be as popular if the CW didn't cast stereotypically hot actors? Who knows. Rant over. (I just remembered Dark Betty but I'm not even gonna go into that because I think that's enough for tonight)

It's actually amazing how much time and effort is done behind the scenes for films. I have a lot of respect for all the filmmakers out there. Even though most of the attention goes to the actors, they're still really proud of their work and that's the only thing that matters :)

The next month won't be as interesting (in my opinion anyways) because I don't have any assignments due til May 7. By the time May 16 strolls by, I would already have a 1000 Screen Business pitch, a 4-5 minute screenplay and a one minute film done. And of course, that doesn't include the end of semester production at the end of May ;) I'll definitely be ranting about the pre prod docs and production for the next two months aha

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 08:26:17 pm »
+1
MY RANT ABOUT RIVERDALE BECAUSE THIS SHOW ANNOYS ME so don't read if you're a huge riverdale fan thx
To be fair on Riverdale, they have beautiful cinematography and the lighting is nice but that's just about it. Main reason why I only watched Season 1 because I wanted to know who killed Jason (really pissed me off when I found out who did). Riverdale has all the elements to a teen drama show and it's too overwhelming. You've got your girl next door. The rich bad girl turned good turned bad turned good (... this goes on forever). The Troy Bolton wannabe who's head is in the game but his heart's actually in the song. The angsty kid who doesn't want to fit in. The whole "murder plot in a seemingly perfect small town that's actually really dark". The unnecessary musical numbers (what the hell was that Milkshake cover on the rooftop of the diner???) The really disgusting student-teacher relationship. I can literally go on. I feel that Riverdale is trying too hard with the show. Would the show be as popular if the CW didn't cast stereotypically hot actors? Who knows. Rant over. (I just remembered Dark Betty but I'm not even gonna go into that because I think that's enough for tonight)

RIVERDALE RANT IN RESPONSE TO YOUR RIVERDALE RANT LOL
Tbh, the characters aren't likeable. Like, how is Archie okay with having an affair with a teacher? From my basic knowledge of the US legal system, it's considered pedophilia if someone over the age of 21 is dating with someone under 18. Archie is 16 for god sakes! And he's cool with that?? And it's not really showing a positive light on relationships either, like Miss Grundy is essentially manipulating him and then he partially lies about what happened on July 4th. And then what happens to Miss Grundy? She gets killed off in the end. Why would they introduce Miss Grundy if they're not gonna do anything with her? Like, she had a massive impact on Archie's life but then she gets killed off.

Don't get me started with Jughead. He tried so hard to be all 'emo' but THAT'S NOT WHAT BEING EMO IS. Being emo (as someone who's a casual listener of the emo sub-culture) is expressing your feelings, usually out of anger. You want people to know that you're angry, not get moody and bottle up everything. Oh, and don't get me started on his speech to Betty: "I don't know if you noticed this, but I'm weird." EVERY TEEN GOES THROUGH THIS! Just because you feel that way, doesn't mean other teens aren't self-conscious either. I feel like the screenwriters should have a really good look at how teens are in reality. All teens are self-conscious- that notion of that one kid being a special one because he's 'weird' is basically an old-fashioned stereotypical view on what teen life is about.

Oh, and Cheryl? She's so useless after Season 1. She was supposed to be bad rich girl turned good but then she continues to talk crap to the group. Like, wtf?? They literally helped her find out who killed Jason and even saved her from drowning, and she responds by treating them like crap again? And then she suddenly shows up in that racing scene? She wasn't even involved in that Southside Serpents stuff- why did she suddenly appear there?

And then there's Veronica- I feel like the writers tried to make her be all 'relatable' and 'likeable' but tbh, it just seems like she tries too much to be sassy. Being savage is lightly insulting someone in an almost-joking situation, not saying stuff like 'Be the Jay to my Bey?' That's basically the writers being like 'Oh look, these kids love Beyonce so let's include some pop-culture references.' Just no.

I can go on forever about this lol.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW