Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:35:26 pm

Author Topic: how to study  (Read 824 times)

skintceaser

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
how to study
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:53:06 pm »
Hey so everyone knows that we currently have holidays, mine go on for three weeks.......... just wanted suggestions on how to study in these 3 weeks + 1 week after school starts before trials, i currently do maths ext 1, eng adv, chem, phy, sdd and sor 1.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: how to study
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:27:43 pm »
Depends!

How do you usually study for each of those subjects? Do you think those study techniques have been effective so far?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

superstudent20

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:42:13 pm »
Hey so everyone knows that we currently have holidays, mine go on for three weeks.......... just wanted suggestions on how to study in these 3 weeks + 1 week after school starts before trials, i currently do maths ext 1, eng adv, chem, phy, sdd and sor 1.

So to begin, I just want to mention that everyone has their own style and version of studying and i'm not saying that my ways of studying is better for you but here's what I do during the holidays. What I usually like to do is go through each topic/ module in each subject and just revise by making quick notes if I already haven't on the onenote app. I usually do this when I finish a topic or module. Right now I have assignments that need to be done during the holidays so I haven't really been studying so much but for subjects as I would like to do. For subjects like physics and chemistry, I don't really have..well..teachers that teach well and all they do is hand out worksheets and expect us to teach ourselves, so for those subjects during the holidays i'm having to teach myself the whole module which is kinda annoying. But anyways, I found on the NESA website (if your in NSW this would really help) that they provide a subject overview / teacher guide where it basically outlines everything needed to be taught. Basically a booklet that teaches teachers how to teach, so I really just teach myself. It's called the sample unit, sample for implementation for whatever subject. I definitely recommend this for everyone as it has saved my life at multiple occasions where I just don't know where to start or what to do as the syllabus can be a little vague sometimes. Anyways back to how I study, I usually just make notes, revise them and make questions based on them. I know a great video where this guy absolutely opened my eyes to studying better and his videos are just amazing, you should check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjip0wygAI

Also practice papers are really useful as you might already know. For studies of religion the tip I highly recommend is making glossaries as I struggle with terminology of the different religions, like I studied Buddhism and a lot of the time it was me trying to figure out what each word or phrase meant and figuring how I can include it in my writing, so like how to use a word in a specific manner and how to incorporate in my writing.
Anyways, this is not really a study tip but it helps you in the long run, so when I can i try to read and when reading I like to take notes of definitions, specific phrases, language techniques and overall like really good quotes that I can mimic in my writing. So doing this I found that I saw a great change especially when analysing any given text or writing in general, also you get a wider vocab that your comfortable with. The negative to this is that it takes like twice as long to read a book but i really enjoy doing this as for me it's not just about reading something but really getting the meaning and raw essence behind it. So I think I drifted a bit off topic but I hope this helps. :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:47:14 pm by superstudent20 »

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:44:34 pm »

Hey skintceaser,

For factual subjects such as SDD and SOR 1 and some others, you could try using flashcards to help it stick in your head. Also, you could put drawings on the flashcards relevant to the information so it can create a memory trigger whilst in an exam.

Good Luck!
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5