Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:32:04 am

Author Topic: NEW STUDY DESIGN  (Read 2293 times)  Share 

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
NEW STUDY DESIGN
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:09:09 pm »
+3
Hi all,

So some of you may be interested to know that VCAA have just published the new VCE Legal Studies Study Design which will be implemented in 2018. To have a look see: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/legalstudies/LegalSD_2018.pdf

I've had a read and think it looks pretty good. You'll note that the number of areas of study has decreased to four (in total) and there seems to be a bit more crossover between units 1/2 and units 3/4. Expectedly, there's also still a big focus on evaluation and critical-thinking skills (especially in units 3/4, but also a little in units 1/2).

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:10:57 pm by Glasses »
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: NEW STUDY DESIGN
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:03:28 pm »
I was wondering something about study designs, since I'm new to VCE and figured this is a good time to ask.
I'm currently doing 1/2, and next year, provided I do 3/4, there will obviously be a new study design. Will this affect or disadvantage me in any way? You said that there's more of a crossover between 1/2 and 3/4, so will this mean that 1/2 will be important to complete 3/4, and I will therefore be disadvantaged?
I know these are probably simple questions, but I've been wondering this for a while. Thanks!

Bentamy

• Adventurer
  • Ah yes, Achilles!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:23:01 pm »
I don't know what to think of this, it seems some AOS have been simplified, and to be honest, it feels like a mix match, and I personally prefer this years' design.

On another note, I'm also nervous about the new study design as I want to tutor legal studies next year ;P
- Year 12 Student

2017: Legal Studies 3/4, (41)

2018: English, Economics, Further Mathematics, Global Politics, Psychology

Bentamy

• Adventurer
  • Ah yes, Achilles!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:32:13 pm »
I was wondering something about study designs, since I'm new to VCE and figured this is a good time to ask.
I'm currently doing 1/2, and next year, provided I do 3/4, there will obviously be a new study design. Will this affect or disadvantage me in any way? You said that there's more of a crossover between 1/2 and 3/4, so will this mean that 1/2 will be important to complete 3/4, and I will therefore be disadvantaged?
I know these are probably simple questions, but I've been wondering this for a while. Thanks!

While the knowledge appears to have been merged, I think you'll be fine, and certainly not disadvantged as the knowedlge will be covered in some point of 1/2/3/4 anyways.

Also, a little birdy told me that VCAA tends to mark nicer for the first year of a new study design ;)
- Year 12 Student

2017: Legal Studies 3/4, (41)

2018: English, Economics, Further Mathematics, Global Politics, Psychology