Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:34:36 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3612658 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #6885 on: October 29, 2015, 10:54:25 pm »
Urgent help!

In the 2013 exam the last question about the embryonic thing, you know how the question asks about the UV light, the answer says that it just destroys the nucleus? How does it do this? I thought UV light would make the nucleus visible so it could be destroyed, is this what the answer means?
It was pretty much in essence to enucleate the donor ovum, we don't need to know how this is done in cloning we only really need to know that we remove the nucleus of an egg.(but know we know the UV light can be used) Remember that UV light is a mutagen.(if that's any use)

Hope this helped.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #6886 on: October 29, 2015, 10:55:57 pm »
It was pretty much in essence to enucleate the donor ovum, we don't need to know how this is done in cloning we only really need to know that we remove the nucleus of an egg.(but know we know the UV light can be used) Remember that UV light is a mutagen.(if that's any use)

Hope this helped.

So when they say nucleus is removed to enucleate the cell, you can use UV light to remove it?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6887 on: October 29, 2015, 11:03:20 pm »
+1
So when they say nucleus is removed to enucleate the cell, you can use UV light to remove it?

Doesn't matter, they won't ask. Go to bed!

Sorry I haven't been answering much this afternoon. I have my own exams to study for and each of the times I've tried to access ATARNotes this arvo it's chucked a tanty and not let me in.

T-Rav is correct, this question is pretty weird.
However, imo the closest correct answer would be (b) Phagocytes.
I'm guessing that this is an inflammatory response. Seratonin (released by mast cells, philosophy etc) has already increased the permeability of the vessels to allow phagocytes to move into the area. Early phagocytes would of-course release histamine to attract more phagocytes to the area (could also be d). Phagocytes would then attack the bacteria, therefore closest one could be (b).

However I might be wrong :)

Replace serotonin with histamine. Histamine is the important thing that mast cells release.
It is a dreadful question. It was in my exam when I did VCE Biology and I do remember getting it wrong!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #6888 on: October 29, 2015, 11:05:25 pm »
+4
That's the last from me tonight. All of you should be in bed!

The very best of luck for tomorrow. It's been fun answering your questions, not least because you're a really smart bunch of people and I have every confidence you'll do really well.

Incidentally, I actually know a couple of the people I've helped a little on this in previous years and they're kicking arse now, so no doubt all of you will do the same*.

GOOD LUCK :D

*not saying they're kicking arse because I helped them, just because this forum is populated with brilliant people.

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6889 on: October 29, 2015, 11:11:50 pm »
Do our drawings and diagrams tomorrow have to be in pencil?!!
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #6890 on: October 29, 2015, 11:15:51 pm »
+1
Do our drawings and diagrams tomorrow have to be in pencil?!!

no

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6891 on: October 30, 2015, 06:32:26 am »
+8
On behalf of everyone that is completing Biology in 2015, and that have utilised the greatness of this thread, I would like to thank each and everyone of you who has helped us throughout this year. You guys have helped us with everything we needed, always doing your best to assist us for out own good - and I will never forget when I got so angry when I was told to do some research before I asked so many questions - and hopefully, this method will pay off very soon, just hopefully.

So once again guys, special thanks to the following people;

- Mr. T-Rav: you have been sensational, mate. You were most active on this forum and you taught us so much, I personally owe so much to you, so thanks for the incredible and admirable qualities that you possess, hopefully you can share this cultural evolution with your own kids so they can spread your greatness to the world too. Seriously though, thanks, and I really mean it.

- Bangali_lok: incredible support and help from you. You have been of great assistance to us all year, so I thank you for sharing that knowledge with us here. Also, you have been one of the best people who motivate and spread positivity and optimism when people are feeling down and nervous about stuff, and for this I am very grateful because this was the case with me many times, but you were always there, lending a helping hand. So honestly, thank you so much for helping us all with biology, it means the world to us and keep up the great work in the future!

Special thanks also to Pi, thushan and mahler, you guys have also majorly contributed on this thread, so on behalf of everyone, thank you for your awesome help and support. The fact that you all have your own university studies to cater, at times you chose to help us instead, and for this we are eternally grateful.

So, once again, many thanks to everyone who has helped on this forum, what a journey it has been, honestly.

Good luck to all fellow biologists, and hopefully, just hopefully we can all do well and achieve our goals, because we have all worked so hard. Love you all *teary*.

Cosine.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #6892 on: October 30, 2015, 09:46:29 am »
+1
- Mr. T-Rav: you have been sensational, mate. You were most active on this forum and you taught us so much, I personally owe so much to you, so thanks for the incredible and admirable qualities that you possess, hopefully you can share this cultural evolution with your own kids so they can spread your greatness to the world too. Seriously though, thanks, and I really mean it.

hahahaha what a quality complement, Biology references and all. Thanks a heap, mate. That's really lovely of you :) Hope it's going well in there right now!

Yacoubb

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #6893 on: October 30, 2015, 09:57:16 am »
+1
As a Biology tutor now, I can totally relate to how my teachers felt. It's like your kids are in there doing an exam! I hope they're going well (all of you guys!)

Can't wait to see this exam!
2013-2014: VCE
2015-2017: BSc. at University of Melbourne. Majoring in Microbiology & Immunology.
2018: Honours - Restoring immunocompetency in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
2019-2022: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Deakin University

Completed VCE Biology in 2013 with a study score of 47. Offering tutoring in VCE Biology for 2020 in Geelong region! PM me for more details.

wishingiwassmart

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Carey
« Reply #6894 on: October 30, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »
what was the answer to the finger prints questions (the multiple choice one?!?)  :-\

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6895 on: October 30, 2015, 01:41:27 pm »
what was the answer to the finger prints questions (the multiple choice one?!?)  :-\

I dont remember exactly, do you remember some answers i might be able to help you

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #6896 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:04 pm »
linked genes... gg... 5 marks gone... gg..

dw I fluked it as well, I only got the circling part right by guessing...
my explanation was so off

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #6897 on: October 30, 2015, 01:50:40 pm »
+1
same, what was your explanation?

This exam played so much on my weaknesses and not much on my strengths. Linked genes and human evolution are my worst

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #6898 on: October 30, 2015, 02:14:59 pm »
same, what was your explanation?

I don't remember exactly but it's kinda embarrassing...
I said something about how since it had the same phenotype as the other male in the first part of the question it would need to have that genotype.... :/

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6899 on: October 30, 2015, 02:15:47 pm »
This exam played so much on my weaknesses and not much on my strengths. Linked genes and human evolution are my worst

Exactly how I felt!
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/