Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:23:15 am

Author Topic: Bee(a) buzzing through film school  (Read 35756 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Bee(a) buzzing through film school
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:40:24 pm »
+18
Hi! My name is Bea and I’m a HSC 2017 graduate. You’ve probably seen me around the forums ;)

I will be attending the Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS) in Sydney from 2018-2020. I will be studying a Bachelor of Arts Screen: Production. I submitted a personal statement, a short story, a review of a web series and a letter of recommendation for my portfolio (no ATAR required). Though, sometimes I like to tell people I’m attending UNSW or UTS to fulfill my dream of being a fake UNSW/UTS student.

Why film?
It all started when I edited a short film back in Year 8 English called ‘The Ghost in the Hallway’. It got voted best edited and best overall film in my class and was shown in front of the entire school during assembly. Ever since, I’ve enjoyed editing films because it was really fun. I remember reading an article that said you should do your hobby as a job because it wouldn’t feel like you’re working. Plus the media arts holds so much power to start trends, educate people and influence movements. So I knew film was the career path I had to go into. Also, I was a HUGE Visual Arts nerd during primary and secondary school and can’t bear a life where I couldn’t express myself artistically.

Why AFTRS?
After doing a film course in October 2016, I fell in love with its facilities and equipment. They have a really cool theatre, around 3-4 studios, a lot of cameras on site, a massive props room, beautiful editing suites and did I mention they have a foosball table in the reception ;)? AFTRS is the #1 film school in Australia, it’s fairly close to my area and is a film school that actually offers a bachelor degree not a diploma. I think the main reason I wasn’t too stressed during my HSC year because I knew my entry into tertiary education was based on my passion and my portfolio, not my ATAR.

After AFTRS?
Either get an internship here in Australia (reality TV is a huge demand right now) or go back to the Philippines (work at a major film network) and get some work experience and (hopefully) some connections too. After a few years, I hope to work at the BBC in the UK and edit their documentaries. Hopefully, I can make it into Hollywood and hopefully win an Academy Award for Best Film Editing ;). I also hope to get my masters in editing either at AFTRS or at UCLA (the top film school in the world). I also (so badly) want to study law so I would like to have a law degree sometime in the future.

What subjects? These subjects will be covered over the next three years: Story, Character & Performance, Image, Sound, Juxtaposition & Rhythm, Screen Business and Production.

Hopefully when I've got my films up and running, I'll post them in my other thread 'Bea's Films'

Orientation week should happen in February 19 and classes start the week of February 26.
I just can’t wait to have routine back in my life and start learning again ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Bee(a) buzzing through film school
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:21:11 pm »
+2
yeeeeessssss so excited to read your journal and your uni journey :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »
+3
Omg this sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear about your next few years and witness the development of some surely amazing films!!
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:55:51 pm »
+2
Oooh! looking forward to this! Love to see how you go!

Free Films you say? Totally looking forward to this! grabs popcorn
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:26:44 pm »
+3
yeeeeessssss so excited to read your journal and your uni journey :-)

Omg this sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear about your next few years and witness the development of some surely amazing films!!

Thanks guys! Excited to read your updates too ;D

Oooh! looking forward to this! Love to see how you go!

Free Films you say? Totally looking forward to this! grabs popcorn

Me @ everyone on AN: You get a film! You get a film! You get a film!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:19:39 pm »
+4
Really looking forward to your journal Bea! Sounds so interesting!  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:23 pm »
+4
I feel like this is the "Behind the Scenes" extra for the "Bea's Films" DVD ;)

So keen to read your updates Bea! ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:15:51 pm »
+3
Really looking forward to your journal Bea! Sounds so interesting!  :D

Thanks Katie! I'm excited to read your updates too!!

I feel like this is the "Behind the Scenes" extra for the "Bea's Films" DVD ;)

So keen to read your updates Bea! ;D

You get a DVD! You get a DVD! You get a DVD!
I'm in an Oprah mood atm tbh

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:04:21 pm »
+7
January 31, 2018

So today I accidentally bumped into an old friend who I did a film course with at NIDA back in April 2016. Took me about 3 seconds to realise that it was actually her and we just started squealing and hugging each other in the middle of the city. I think the people that we were with looked really confused.

Reason why I wrote this anecdote from today is because it's nice to reflect back on the times where I was trying to figure out if film was really the direction I wanted to head in. I knew film was a possible path I could take but I just needed that reassurance that film is a great path to go in.

In the film course, our tutor taught us how to do assembly cuts on Final Cut Pro and made me really appreciate what goes behind the scenes in films. I took about four hours just to edit a one minute scene. Our tutor (who was male) kept telling us 'we need more female editors in the industry because they tend to be more delicate with their editing and focus more on the emotions'. I really thought that was really interesting.

So I would like to say thank you to my good friend 'fate' for bringing me and my old friend/fellow film course classmate together in this brief moment. It's so cool to see how much we've developed since then. She got into another film school as well. I'm so proud of us!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:16:34 pm »
+8
February 3, 2018

Yesterday I had my school's high achiever's assembly, officially marking the end of my high school forever. It was nice seeing girls from my year group again and was so cool hearing about their courses in uni. Some are doing law, criminology, secondary teaching, creative and performing arts, business, exercise physiology and archaeology. It just hits me that I would never step foot in my high school ever again. Sure I'll come in when I do film talks or whenever I'm in the area, but being a visitor it's not just the same as being a student. I say this time and time again, but it's true.

That's all :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 10:11:35 pm »
+9
February 12, 2018

Finally got the dates for the AFTRS orientation week and my timetable woohoo!

AFTRS orientation week is from February 20-23. I can get my welcome pack, my student ID and there will be orientation sessions and activities. I will be attending the UNSW orientation week as well for the AN meetup, but I want to attend the UNSW orientation activities because why not?

As for my timetable, some weeks will be:
- Tuesday / Wednesday / Friday (most common combination)
- Monday / Tuesday / Friday
- Monday / Tuesday / Thursday

WITH the exception of October 15-November 2 where we have to attend AFTRS Monday-Friday to work on our end of year projects :)

The structure for each day is:
10:30am-11:30am: Lecture
11:30am-5:30pm: Workshop
1:30pm-2:30pm: Lunch
(7 hours in total)

The subject varies each week

As of right now, I'm just trying to sort out my unavailabilities at my work so that I don't get into trouble with my boss.

I just hope I can make friends :)

Edit: Found out there's a O Week Party on February 23 (Friday). Think I'll attend that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:29:27 am by beatroot »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 06:49:02 pm »
+7
February 16, 2018

Good news: Got a new laptop. It's a MacBook Pro, 15 inch and 512 GB in Space Grey. I'm ready to edit films in the future.
Bad news: Tried deleting all my data on my old MacBook Air and ended up deleting the startup disk. Can't log in or anything. I have a genius bar reservation this Thursday. I'm not ready to pay the repair bill.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 06:50:52 pm »
+2
February 16, 2018

Good news: Got a new laptop. It's a MacBook Pro, 15 inch and 512 GB in Space Grey. I'm ready to edit films in the future.

Oh yay! Was so close to forking for the 15inch, the 13inch is amazeballs ;D

Bad news: Tried deleting all my data on my old MacBook Air and ended up deleting the startup disk. Can't log in or anything. I have a genius bar reservation this Thursday. I'm not ready to pay the repair bill.

Oh no!! If you've got your data make sure you don't spend more repairing it than you'll get selling it! ;D

You shouldn't need to pay anything, they'll just boot from an external drive and fix everything that way, or similar :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:41 pm »
Oh no!! If you've got your data make sure you don't spend more repairing it than you'll get selling it! ;D

You shouldn't need to pay anything, they'll just boot from an external drive and fix everything that way, or similar :)

I've got all my data backed up on my USB so my data is completely fine. The main reason why I wanted to delete my data in my old MacBook Air in the first place is because my mum wants to use the laptop to study for her masters degree. Just hoping things go well during my genius bar appointment because I'm really not ready to pay for the repairs. I keep getting the 'no enter' symbol everytime I turn on my MacBook Air :(

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 10:44:42 pm »
+4
Update: About 3 hours later, my old laptop has now been fixed. Just had to convert the new startup disk. Thank you to EEEEEEP and Rui for helping me ;D