Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:33:01 pm

Author Topic: Monash courses question  (Read 4202 times)  Share 

mabs

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Monash courses question
« on: December 24, 2007, 09:58:12 pm »
For one of my Pref's, i had Bachelor of Business (Accounting) at Monash Uni Caulfield. Last years Clearly in was 83.05 and the Fringe was 82.45. My ENTER was 82.50, and Gat standardised scores were 36 for writing, 39 for Math/Sci and 39 for Humanities. What are my chances at getting into this course do you think?

And with the offers, if i got a course on my Pref list, but wanted a course lower on my list, but needed a higher ENTER than the course offered to me, can i like apply to swap at all, like asap?

Thanks

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Monash courses question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:22:17 pm »
Firstly, I think you have an okay chance of getting into the course of your choice. Being on the fringe isn't exactly ideal, but often its enough. Your GAT scores aren't too bad either, so if they do use the GAT as part of the selection process, you should be okay.

Secondly, if you get offered the course that is first on your preferences, you will not be offered any other preferences. That's why you order your preferences from the one you want most to the one you want least. You can apply for an irregular offer, but as the name suggests, that's not standard proceedure and it could be a huge risk. Change of preferences has closed though, so if you want a lower course, that will probably be the way you have to get it.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 11:49:40 pm »
Firstly, I think you have an okay chance of getting into the course of your choice. Being on the fringe isn't exactly ideal, but often its enough. Your GAT scores aren't too bad either, so if they do use the GAT as part of the selection process, you should be okay.

Secondly, if you get offered the course that is first on your preferences, you will not be offered any other preferences. That's why you order your preferences from the one you want most to the one you want least. You can apply for an irregular offer, but as the name suggests, that's not standard proceedure and it could be a huge risk. Change of preferences has closed though, so if you want a lower course, that will probably be the way you have to get it.

sorry to hijack the topic but...
how does the preference fit in with first second and third round offers? *confused*
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 12:06:28 am »
Are we talking about the same thing? lol, I'm tired/confused.

What I mean is that if you get your first preference in the first round, you will not recieve any second/third round offers. If however, you get a lower preference in the first round, you may receive additional offers.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 12:18:09 am »
From another thread:

Explanation of the "rounds
Don't be confused between preferences and rounds.

In any "round," VTAC will try to allocate the highest preference possible. This will be the offer you get for that round.

After that round, people may defer the degree, or decline the offer, so that opens up new spots again. This initiates the second round, and if you're lucky enough, you can get even higher preferences!

So if you don't make your 1st preference, you can still get your 2nd preference in the first round. (It will keep looking, from top to bottom, until it can give you a place. If you don't get a first round offer, none of your preferences could be allocated because your score was too low)

Explanation of the preferences (what happens within each round)
This is how preferences work: VTAC will try to give your highest preference. Once you have an offer for some preference, all the preferences below it are discarded, because according to your preferences, you want that course more than the courses below it. This means that putting courses that require a higher ENTER than courses with a higher preference is useless (e.g: if you put Medicine 2nd, and Engineering 1st, your 2nd preference is never going to come to fruition, because if you made the entry requirements for Medicine, you would have been offered Engineering instead, since you prefer it more than Medicine).

Second and third round offers simply try to fit you into higher preferences. Once you get your first preference, you're out of the VTAC game. You need to make a special application if you decide you want an alternative course to your first preference.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 12:51:19 am »
awesomenesss...
this is where i shut up and hand over my hijack...

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

mabs

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 01:56:08 am »
Ah awesome, well just so long as i get into that Bachelor of Business i'll be happy. Cause lol, the next preferance was something i wanted.....but lol.....today i seem to have changed my mind.....and see the problem is i would definitly get into it, meh.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:07:30 am »

This might be necromancy, but I thought I'd correct something there.

VTAC does not use the GAT in whatever form. It is merely used by VCAA as a check to ensure anomalous grades are rooted out before handed over to VTAC for scaling / ENTER calcuation.

The only things that are considered in an application with VTAC is what information you give them (eg., SEAS) , your individual study score results and your ENTER.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 06:44:46 pm »

VTAC does not use the GAT in whatever form. It is merely used by VCAA as a check to ensure anomalous grades are rooted out before handed over to VTAC for scaling / ENTER calcuation.

The only things that are considered in an application with VTAC is what information you give them (eg., SEAS) , your individual study score results and your ENTER.

Yeah, but there's word going around that Monash is thinking of using GAT scores to determine entrance for people on the fringe. I'm not sure if they actually will use the GAT scores this year though.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 08:03:10 pm »

Yeah, but there's word going around that Monash is thinking of using GAT scores to determine entrance for people on the fringe. I'm not sure if they actually will use the GAT scores this year though.
I heard that too, but apparently they're going to look at GAT for MUEP applicants this year...
EDIT: that might be a seperate process altogether... but.